What could have improved 'Insurrection'?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Destructor, Jul 4, 2014.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I always felt that Insurrection should have been a start of a trilogy that ultimately exposed something rotten at the heart of the Federation. Probably Section 31 could have been involved, with a big reveal at some point that they had a secret army of genetically-enhanced supermen like Khan...

Oh wait. Never mind...

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Stewart was gung-ho to do a direct followup too ... at first.

3. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are the primary reason I hate that movie. They do not deserve sympathy or help in any way, shape or form.

Great post, just had to correct some minor points in it :)

That is hilarious!! I remember that. Picard goes to the crew "We are about to commit a direct violation of our orders, any one who wants to complain can do so now".

So there you go, Star Trek Insurrection at First Contact.

:lol:

4. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The plot of Into Darkness was Starfleet vs. Starfleet (Kirk vs. Marcus and Khan), yet people hated it.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, some people hated it. But it seems like more people liked than disliked Into Darkness.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh I do dislike the word 'hated'. 'Hated' is such a loaded word. In my experience, *if* there are people who 'hated' on STID, then it was for reasons other than the Starfleet vs Starfleet plot. To suggest otherwise would be to mistake the subjective for the objective. Let's not start doing that now, hey? ;)

Indeed. :)

7. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Yes to this... the Ba'ku were not people I sympathized with. They didn't "need to be saved" was the message I got. With their powers, why couldn't they have dealt with the S'ona without starfleet? For that matter, why didn't they know the Federation was spying on them with the duck blind.

Sigh, I actually liked the duck blind scene, then Ruafo ruined it later by calling it a duck blind. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. The movie was called Insurrection, yet Picard does what... disobey an order? Where was the uprising against starfleet? We almost get this when Riker flees in the ENT-D but whatever showdown happens between our heroes and the evil Federation is OFF SCREEN. :confused: We don't even get more than passive aggressive posturing between Picard and Daugherty. :scream:

Absolutely agree. The reverse aging and it's impacts on the crew could and IMO should have been a much wider focus of the movie. And not for laughs or cringe boob joke moments. Have the crew begin exhibiting younger, less mature behavior patterns, for example.

(Dukhat, I think I screwed up this quote, so apologies if this wasn't you)

Agree to both... the joystick on the bridge is only slightly more cringeworthy than the bridge console text messaging in Nemesis.

Sure, call it Star Trek: Avatar :guffaw:

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "manual steering column" is such an odd beast. On the one hand I think it might definitely have had a place in a smaller scale vessel like a shuttlecraft, it makes sense to me that something small would benefit from the ability of a pilot to have more precise high velocity control, and I might even say I find it bizarre that we never actually saw one appear in that context in most Star Treks. But other the other hand, it's totally incongruous on the bridge of the Enterprise herself, this joystick thing popping up out of the floor in the middle of a vast command center surrounded by sleek touch-screen controls. I just can't buy the concept of a ship the size of the Enterprise being steered by one guy with a joystick either (which is the implication; at least I could buy it if the idea was that it simply gave the captain some kind of control in conjunction with a regular conn officer, but everything about the way its presented in INS suggests that it's literally Riker taking personal control of the entire damn ship, talk about stretching credibility that one stage too far!). And that's all before we get into the dumbass production design decision to put it in the middle of the room, instead of somewhere sensible (like, I dunno, next to the captain's chair? :rolleyes: ), Jonathan Frakes, who as we remember was one TNG's taller cast members, looks like a complete fool having to lean over this tiny thing that's popped up out of the floor.

So, uh, I guess that'd be an F for the Manual Steering Column from me. :D

9. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked STID. Not loved, liked. But of the people who apparently hated it, I've never seen the "Starfleet vs. Starfleet" angle cited as one of the reasons.

As far as Insurrection goes, it seems that most of the people in this thread agree with me. The biggest problem with this movie is that the Baku are utterly unsympathetic and unlikable. A close second is the fact that the producers (of which Stewart was one) were never willing to take the chance that the audience might disagree with Picard. A reasonable, effective argument from, say Riker or Crusher, that just maybe Picard might be on the wrong side would have improved the film immensely.

10. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Fix Insurrection? Easy.

First, get the cast to take the movie seriously. I don't know what they're doing but they sure as hell aren't acting.

Second, better dialogue
    Third, director needs to be better focused on what the theme or point of the movie is.

Fourth, actual pacing to the scenes.

11. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

The dialogue was terrible. Both what was being said and how the actors said them. It felt forced and preachy... from several actors in several scenes.

As others have said, Geordi's sunset scene was one of the few moments which felt genuine and Burton deserves praise for contributing a solid performance there.

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore