What Didja Get For Christmas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Dec 25, 2013.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Thanks! I've toyed with getting one for awhile, but they're a bit too pricey for me to buy on a whim.

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^Back when I was a kid and lived with my parents (more than thirty years ago), mum and I bought a Soda Stream together -they have always been a bit on the pricey side :rommie:

I found (back then) that using non-Soda Stream syrups was the way to make good sodas ;)

3. auntiehill

At last night's party, I picked up some gifts from friends I haven't seen in awhile--I got some new pjs and a book, along with some lovely, blue ceramic bake-ware. Score!

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I really wanted one and was on the lookout for a good deal the last few months, but doing the math I found that even just using it to make seltzer water it would probably never pay itself off due to the insane cost of the refills. Having a proprietary non-refillable cartridge is bullshit.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Soda streams sound nice. I'd try to carbonate everything, though. I wonder what carbonated chocolate milk tastes like?

6. Venardhi

I suspect that milk is not recommended for use in such a thing. It is why you generally mix the syrup in after you add the carbonation. Keeps it from just turning into a foamy mess.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I've never owned nor even used one of those machines but I've heard some good things about them. Can't say that I'd ever buy one but I do wonder what homemade soda would taste like.

8. trekkiedane

That's the point: homemade soda'll taste like anything you'd like it to taste like :)

9. cooleddie74

;)

I meant would it be just as good as or superior to store-bought brands. Some say it's not but that could just mean that those persons didn't use the mixtures and combinations necessary. I'm sure I could come up with some wild flavors, but would they be comparable to what I could buy in a supermarket?

Interesting technology.

10. trekkiedane

I find it difficult to find blackcurrant soda in the stores... and the raspberry sodas you can find around here are either very pricey or have a distinctive 'chemical' tang to them. - But it's simple to make or find quite good syrups to pour into any kind of "bubbly water" :)

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Their colas taste like generic store brands, they do have a few name brands, which taste great (Fizzy ocean spray cranberry is the tits). Haven't tried their fruit flavored drinks yet, but I'm gonna look into making my own syrups.

12. cooleddie74

Guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these and experiment with it. Pure sugar sodas are generally a thing of the past here in the States (except for the "Throwback" Pepsis, Dr. Peppers and Mountain Dews, but those are a tiny minority of the market at the moment) and I prefer the way colas and other sodas tasted when I was a kid and teenager. Cleaner, crisper and not as heavy.

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

you can refill them at certain stores

14. auntiehill

You should try to get the Mexican Coke; they still use the pure cane sugar, and not the corn syrup. It's really nice. All our local grocery stores carry it, but it's on the "International" food aisles.

15. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Same with Fanta and Sprite here. Strangely enough, you can buy them at any non-Lowe's/Home Depot hardware store here.

As for Christmas:

Received:

$100 check
    Burger King giftcard
    Barnes and Noble giftcard
    Dutch Bros giftcard
    2 trek books from my TrekBBS Secret Santa
    Foodsaver machine
    Several books
    Star Trek The Next Generation Trivia, Exploration, and Discovery game
    Star Trek PS3 game
    VCR/DVD Recorder

Gave:

Pandora charm for my girlfriend
    TARDIS 50th anniversary ornament for my middle brother
    The Big Bang Theory Season 6 for my sister in law
    A Star Wars Lego A-Wing for my nephew
    Barbie Fashionista and a Barbie movie for my niece
    A leather purse with a Western motif and an angel ornament for my Mom
    Harkins' Theaters Souvenir t-shirt and cup for my girlfriend's son (free popcorn and $1.50 sodas at the movies for a year)
    The Big Bang Theory Seasons 5 and 6 for my other brother
    A CD and fingerless gloves for my Secret Santa recipient
    Several tins of homemade cookies, candied walnuts, and Peppermint bark for my coworkers
    Cannister of Godiva hot cocoa for my boss

16. Venardhi

Aren't those just trade-in locations? From what I've seen, the cartridges are specifically designed not to be refillable. Otherwise people would just get adapters and refill them for pennies on the dollar. Online, I've actually found a few "alternative" methods for refilling like getting an adapter to use with non-official cartridges or manually opening the cartridges to fill with equivalent amounts of dry ice(which then sublimates and condenses and hopefully doesn't blow out in the process). Seems like someone would have figured out by now to make one without the proprietary cartridges and undercut sodastream. The syrups are still practically pure profit after all, and I would personally pay more knowing my refills would be cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014