Embarassing moments during good episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TOSalltheway, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One episode which I really enjoy from a pure "suspend disbelief" and enjoy point of view is Tomorrow is Yesterday.

One small scene though makes me cringe in embarassment. The "female personality" of the computer.

Does anyone else have an episode they love with one element that causes embarassment it is so bad ?

2. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually I was thinking of making the opposite thread to this: scenes you love in episodes you dislike :)

Anyways I kind of have a soft spot for Bread & Circuses: It's a fun, fast paced episode and I love the Spock/McCoy interaction.

However the scene with Kirk & the Slave Girl has got to be one of the worst scenes in all Trek. I also don't like the ending with the "sun=son" thing.

edit: Thought of 2 more

* The Enemy Within: I think has one of the strongest scripts and uses the Jekyll & Hyde theme in a very creative way. However I hate the way they treat the attempted rape of Rand.

* Empath: is one of my absolute favorite episodes but I always hate how McCoy is just like oh I'll call her Gem, like she is some type of puppy dog. Okay "hey you" might not have been better, but that scene still makes me cringe. Well at least Gem is dressed modestly and doesn't fall in love with any of the guys so that's a plus.

If you see a pattern I am not always a big fan of how women are treated in the show.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I thought that Nazi bad guy in "Patterns of Force" was pretty good.

4. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was. Just watched Patterns of force last night, I could have sworn Melakon had more screen time than he did.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

That sounds like fun. Go for it.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think 'The Changeling' is pretty decent, but the scenes with Uhura relearning language are cringeworthy.

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

How about when Kirk's phaser falls off his belt when he's busting open Khan's freezer in Space Seed? That always takes me out of the story for some reason. Deforest Kelley also noticed that it had fallen off, and briefly had a puzzled look on his face, probably waiting for the director to yell cut.

Scotty loses his accent in Doomsday Machine when he says "Thirty seconds later, poof!"

In The Deadly Years, Shatner appears to fumble a line: "I want everything in within about two minutes"

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

^ Aren't those first two in Allan Asherman's Star Trek Compendium?

The third sounds grammatically correct, but I don't have a copy of the episode to find it. Is it during restored Kirk's Corbomite bluff? Was it when he was telling Scotty what he wanted for the engines?

9. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Yes, the first two are mentioned in the Compendium. And you are correct, the third one takes place right after young-again Kirk boots Commodore Stocker out of his chair.

10. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I love Metamorphosis, but as usual Kirk 'writhing in pain' always ruins any scene.

WNMHGB is a 5 star 'gem', but I sure hate when kirk is climbing the 'rocks' and they bounce and spring as if they are made of rubber.

Any good episode where the stunt doubles are nowhere near the look or shape of who they are doubling.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, something similar happens in Arena. When Kirk is rolling the boulder up the hill to drop on the Gorn, you can tell by the way the rock is wobbling that it's one of those fake rocks which must weigh almost nothing. The fact that there's a close-up on Shatner rolling the boulder doesn't help conceal the problem.

12. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

THIS!! Especially in the HD age, where you can actually make out the stunt guy´s face.

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. It was a horrible piece of silliness that should not have made air. That story segment could have been covered in so many different ways. Even as a kid I found it stunning that Uhura could go from an empty mind to being 'her old self' in a weeks time - and I was embarrassed, even then, seeing her act like a three year old. I read Nichelle Nichols autobiography years ago and cannot recall if she had a 'cring moment' when doing that scene.

14. Mario de Monti

How about that scene in "Enterprise Incident" when Kirk (disguised as a Romulan) is about to steal the cloaking device and that Romulan guard surprises him - who then puts up the worst fight in TV history :scream:

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

They really should have put a helmet on that guy. And I don't think he had the right kind of face to be a Romulsn.

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I've got to go with this one as well. Every time it happened, which was fairly often, it really took me out of the episode.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's more obvious now then when we watched the show on a 24in. CRT television and most likely with interference or ghosting on the screen.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I used to think the guy who doubled for Kirk when he fought himself in Enemy Within and Whom Gods Destroy looked closed enough to Shatner to be his twin. In HD,even though he's mostly shot from the back its clear its not Shatner

19. Mario de Monti

One of the worst was Finnegan´s double in "Shore Leave" - the guy is an old man and looked nothing like Finnegan!

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was a little kid, I was kinda embarrassed by Kirk being apparently naked in the android creating machine in What Are Little Girls Made Of?

The constant kissing on the show bothered me also. Glad I outgrew that part.