Halo: Reach

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SPCTRE, Sep 9, 2010.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's certainly a valid point of criticism. Halo: Reach should have fully customizable button layouts, there is no excuse for the absence of that feature.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I switched my controller so that the left trigger would be the melee attack. I'm too used to CoD where you pull the left trigger to aim down the sights, so I kept wasting grenades in Halo. :lol:

3. Rett Mikhal

Rett Mikhal Captain

You know, that's exactly what I said in my Halo 3 review, years back. That control scheme REALLY pissed me off because there was no setting for X to be reload. X is reload, get over it.

The Xbox is supposed to be 'better than a computer', but I have yet to find an FPS on the PC that doesn't allow fully customizable button schemes. What, I can modify the 10,000 hot keys on AutoCAD but not the 18 button input of the Xbox, despite the fact you, the game manufacturer, can?

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

reached Lt.Colonel grade 3, there is no progress bar past it yet, but if you go onto Bungie.net there is (and according to it, I am almost to Colonel) when is Bungie going to unlock the rest of the ranks?

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Lt Col 3?! Christ, I played all day to make it to Captain, which I did, and now im halfway to Captain Grade 1. But still, Lt Col 3?!!?! Jeez. :p

I think Bungie said they'd reveal when in the next weekly update, so you'll find out Friday I think.

6. Rett Mikhal

Rett Mikhal Captain

Spartans don't need ranks... they're Spartans.

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man Seph, you've really been playing a lot. :lol:
    I just couldn't get into it again after the first couple of weeks. Now that the Gears maps are 400 points, I may end up going back to that just to see how it's going over there.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

What Spartan lives long enough to reach Lt Colonel, anyways? Seems like it would be difficult considering Spartans always get the highest-risk assignments.

9. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely. I know I've played a lot (every day since it was released) and I am only a Major Grade 3.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Woah - congrats, dude.

Wish I had that kind of free time right now - oh, and less distractions by other games :lol:

11. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

:eek: I assume they'll unlock the rest when they release the first DLC, which I have reason to believe will also unlock another 250 Gamerpoints worth of achievements.

lol, though at least one of them does have a rank. "Master Chief" is a rank.

All of them. Spartans don't die, they're just missing in action. :techman:

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Plus Carter and Kat of Noble team were Commander and Lt. Commander weren't they? I think this allowed them more operational freedom in the field or something.

13. PsychoPere

UNSC propaganda. :p

Known Spartan ranks:

John-117: Master Chief Petty Officer during active service; "posthumously" promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

Noble Team
    Carter-A259: Commander
    Catherine-B320: Lt Commander
    Emile-A239: Warrant Officer
    Jorge-052: Chief Warrant Officer
    Jun-A266: Warrant Officer - the only member of Noble Team to survive Reach
    SPARTAN-B312: Lieutenant (Noble Six)

ORION Project / SPARTAN-I Project
    Avery Junior Johnson: Sergeant Major - the only SPARTAN-I known to still be alive at end of Covenant War
    Gladys Wilson: Gunnery Sergeant

SPARTAN-II Program
    Jai-006; Adriana-111: Petty Officer (class unknown)
    Daisy-023: Chief Petty Officer
    Kurt-051 Ambrose: Lt Commander
    Fhajad-084: Lt Commander
    Frederic-104: Lt JG
    Li-008; Joshua-029; Vinh-030; Samuel-034; Isaac-039; Douglas-042; William-043; Anton-044; Linda-058; Malcolm-059; Maria-062; Kelly-087; Jerome-092; Grace-093; Joseph-122; Alice-130; James; Randall; Sheila: all Petty Officer Second Class.
    Other SPARTAN-IIs are presumed to have at least been Petty Officer 2nd Class at the time they were declared MIA (or KIA, if we want to ignore UNSC propaganda :p).

SPARTAN-III Program
    Jane; Shane; Robert; Adam-B004; Lucy-B091; Min-B174; Tom-B292: Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Holly-G003; Dante-G188; Mark-G???; Olivia-G???: Petty Officer 3rd Class
    Ash-G099: Private

Edited to correct accidental inclusion of "Chief" before "Petty Officer" under SPARTAN-III heading.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Most of the Spartan-IIs were Petty Officers (Second Class) (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/SPARTAN-II_Program#Personnel).

Same with the few Spartan-IIIs we got to know in the novels.

Only Carter and Kat had higher ranks (Commander and Lt. Commander, respectively). Oh, and I think Emile was a Warrant Officer.

15. PsychoPere

^ Halopedia is where I went to make those lists. :)

So far we've only seen a total of, I believe, 6 Spartans who had been granted officer ranks, and 3 with warrant officer ranks. Most of the Spartans were Petty Officer 2nd Class because that was the rank granted to them once they finished the SPARTAN-II/SPARTAN-III Program (whichever applicable to the individual). Ash's rank as a private, therefore, is a little unusual.

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That's a rather extreme technicality. :p

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Please remain at your current location, an ONI team for, uhm... Civil Education is en route :p

Edit: Found a pretty neat "Warthog Evolution" comparison pic today linked on Twitter:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  18. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I find it very strange that only 1% of people playing have made Lt. Colonel Grade 3, it didn't take me too long and I'm a fairly casual player

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Okay, I have to admit, I would have estimated more than 1% by now, more like 5% or so.

Then again, even the more "hardcore" players don't necessarily go for a certain rank, many of them just play whatever mode and playlist they need/want to play without worrying too much about credits.