Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

He might just be saying he'll do Avengers 2 and leave the 3rd Capt film until pretty close to Avengers 3, doing no cameos or appearances in the others until he has to.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Depends on whether his Thor: The Dark World cameo counts.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Great clip. Guess that's why the new Cap shields I saw at Target were blue/silver.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll post it here
    CA meets Captain Phillips
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0kkSHiiPE#t=137[/yt]

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Re-watching the Avengers today I noticed something interesting.

The quinjet that Hawkeye steals to infiltrate the helicarrier has "88" on the fins, matching the hull number of one of the other helicarriers in the Winter Soldier trailer.

I forgot to check after that if the ones launched from the one in the film had 64 on them, but are all the quinjets potentially matched to a carrier?

Though I suppose we can't call 42, 65 and 88 "heli"carriers anyway since they're repulsor equipped now.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two other 'Carriers with pennants "IN-01" and "IN-02" in those trailers. Not sure what that means yet...

As for propulsion systems ruling out their being called "Helicarriers"...they're still calling them "Helicarriers" in the comics despite similar changes with each new 'Carrier class design being rolled out.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

International Naval (ship)-01 & 02?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not crazy about them defining Batroc as a "maximum casualties" type. Kinda takes the fun out of the character. I like the idea of the comics' Batroc as someone who's not really evil but is just in it for the challenge and the adventure.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

For some reason they have IN-01 and 02 on the bow, but the numbers 42, 65 and 88 on their underside and bridge islands much more prominently. 88 is berthed in all the shots we see, she could be IN-03.

64 (The Avengers) was likely a proto-type made soley by SHIELD (US) and maybe even semi-retired with the newer models rolling out.

11. DEWLine

I'd expect "42" to pre-date all the rest of the fleet as shown so far...?

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The numbers seem to be completely at random, 64 is the one with the prop turbines and no energy weapons, the first in the fleet. Yet there's a 42. Really have no idea.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

They're just hull identification numbers, there's absolutely no reason for them to be in numerical order or production order. Just like no one had 000-00-0001 as their SSN.

14. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw 300 - Rise of an Empire last night (fair to middling), and they had the 10 minute sequence of CA: TWS running before it.

It was just a sneak peak at some camaraderie between between CA and BW, CA and Falcon and then an extended action sequence aboard a ship which felt like an early "teaser" in the film.

The action direction was superb (gave a real sense of geography of the scene and how/where everyone is) and the humour was pretty cute too. It set a wonderful tone for the feature and I went from being interested to genuinely excited about watching it later this month.

Bring it on.

Hugo - on your left...

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Off Topic: Is 300 RoaE worth watching? I figure I'd enjoy something similar to the first one and the Athenian's story is better, imo, but I've heard some very bad reviews.

16. DEWLine

Well, we have a fleet established in any case. At least four 'Carriers, possibly six.

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Wasn't the Enterprise's hull number explained to be the 17th ship design and the first serial number of that series, hence 1701? The system SHIELD uses could be anything like that, or something else entirely.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That was Bob Justman's idea, iirc.

In the real world, it's generally a bad idea to number consecutively because it could give the enemy knowledge of your military numbers.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Pretty sure it was Matt Jefferies's proposal, not Justman's. I've seen a Jefferies concept drawing with that written on it.