‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think most people knew or cared which super-heroes belonged to which company before. I remember people asking why Superman wasn't in the Avengers a few years ago. 2016 might actually be the year that a lot of this knowledge becomes mainstream.

2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think many people see Wonder Woman as a copy of Superman, there isn't that much overlap in their powers and their whole shtick is different, but even if that were the case depowering a female character to differentiate her from a male character is just plain wrong.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Well WW has only really lost the power of flight, but given her incredible jumping ability, I don't think it will encumber her a lot. If they made her weaker (physically) or removed things like the lasso and dulled her fighting ability, then thems would be fightin' words.

4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In their complete set of powers, no, but I've seen a lot of mainstream versions of them (like video games, etc - pretty much anything that takes a general, less detailed view) in which she really did seem to be almost exactly the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of the motivation for people to dislike the idea of her flying especially (since it is basically the trademark Superman money shot).

Which is definitely not to say that it's a good reason to do so. I'm not sure what ever really would constitute a good reason to just ignore the existence of basic, pre-established character powers. If you don't like the powers, make someone new...

5. theenglish

In the current continuity, does Wonder Woman have her powers of flight in the JL origin story?

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

In the new 52 she didn't originally but ended up getting them.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah there's a lot of benefits to a big, connected superhero universe, but you also take the risk of everything starting to feel too bland and samey-samey in tone as well after awhile. Which is something many people (including myself) feel is happening with Marvel.

I'm a big fan of the light and fun style of Flash and Supergirl, but I also love the edgier and more mythic style of the new DC movies as well, and I think it's awesome that we can actually have both at the same time now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  8. theenglish

That's what I thought--it seemed that way by reading the wiki entries I looked at but they weren't specific.

So this--The new movie and television 'verses are heavily inspired by the new 52 right now. Additionally, most people don't think Wonder Woman can fly anyway because she is still closely associated with the '70s series. It would make total sense and still respect the character to have her gain flight in her upcoming solo film rather than already have that power in this one.

9. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Her solo film appears to be a prequel, so she likely won't fly there either.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, my mother enjoys the Marvel movies, and for a long time I had to keep explaining to her which characters are theirs and which are DC.

11. theenglish

I thought that only the first part of that film was supposed to be in the past?

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if it's ever been officially announced either way, but so far everything we've seen from it has been WWI era.

13. theenglish

I still do that with my wife for the minor characters. There are so many overlapping characters, Hawkeye/Green Arrow, Ant-Man/Atom, that I see why people get confused. At the end of Avengers, I was explaining to her who Thanos was and she was thinking that he was the guy who fights Superman.

14. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do think color variations would help viewers to identify characters better. Having characters where similar shades of dark can be confusing to differentiate. Avengers 2's sins were not to keep Rhodes in the Iron Patriot colors, or giving Falcon more color than just black. At the end of the movie I was disappointed watching those new band of Avengers; I was happy to the scene was cut when Steve Rogers didn't complete Avengers Assemble.

The Russos are doing everything right IMO for Civil War, I can better differentiate who's who in the films just by the trailers. These guys will do justice to Avengers I think.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you really believe that? Winter Soldier feels the same as Ant-Man which feels the same as Daredevil which feels the same as Guardians which feels the same as Jessica Jones which feels the same as Agent Carter?

You can mix up tone easily. Sharing a universe has absolutely zero to do with this. That's a decision that comes from a totally different place.

Set Harth likes this.
  16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Winter Soldier, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones I would definitely say are exceptions (being much more grounded and realistic), but the rest all seem to be variations of the same jokey, comic booky style and all kind of have this safe, factory-made feel to them with the same musical scores and the same visual look, etc.

And I'm just frankly starting to get a bit bored with seeing the exact same world again and again.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

No kiddin'.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But everyone better know who The GD Batman is! :evil:

19. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Of they know. They're also coming to know who Red Batman is too.

[​IMG]

Both of which have surprisingly been played by Ben Affleck. HA!

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh.

It felt like someone was missing...