PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

the pic shows only about 20% of our roses. The garden looks pretty much like Sleeping Beauty's castle in early summer (hmm, that propably explains why I always sleep much longer than usual when I visit my parents there).

I like the roses but prefer the apple trees, especially when they are in full bloom. If only there was a way to conservate that wonderful scent!

I'll be offline for a week or so - am moving tomorrow and shall get phone and internet by Wednesday afternoon, according to schedule. Knowing German telecom I suspect it'll be Saturday next week till I have internet access again. I'll make good use of the time and try to find my photo CDs in the moving crate chaos. I have a few rather nice close ups.

Tiny waterfall with maidenhair ferns on the island of Ischia (Italy)
    [​IMG]

2. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ How lovely! Your mom's roses look amazing, too. My grandmother used to have those in her garden and I remember her making some delicious rose jelly.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although I can appreciate the roses, just looking at that picture makes my sinuses twitch!

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

My mother just sent me this picture of my grandfather, Falcon, as a young man. This would have been taken sometime in the early 1960's, and the baby is one of my cousins. I don't really know my grandfather, because he moved back to the Chippewa reservation before I was born. I like this picture, though -- in it he looks a lot like my big brother, Christopher, who passed away several years ago:

[​IMG]

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

What a handsome young man he was!

Sorbus aucuparia!
    (Rønnebær)

The ripe berries are to be picked after the first frost (or frozen after picking) as the frost will make them a little less bitter (the pectin content, however, is reduced by frost, so if you're making a jelly don't let the berries freeze).
    Steep ~6 weeks, filter, drink or let stand for about (at least) a month. -this makes an essence.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

tsq, Mr. Falcon looks very much like Harry Connick Jr. :techman:

7. thestrangequark

^Haha...if he were white, maybe!

Here's one more, I love looking at these old pictures:
    [​IMG]

8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Your grandfather was quite handsome, tsq. He did look like your brother (I've seen the pics you posted of him).

If I may ask, didn't you mention your brother was diabetic?

9. thestrangequark

^He was handsome, huh. :) Now he has very long hair and admits he looks a bit the stereotypical indian.

Yes, my brother was a type 1 diabetic. He died from hypoglycemia after a tennis match when he was 16. My grandfather also has type 1 diabetes, and so do I.

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Type 2 runs in my family--my mom, dad, three of four older sisters, and most recently, my older brother.

Your brother was really cute, too. :)

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That's very sad. :(

I didn't know you were part Chippewa. (Or maybe I did and forgot.)

There are a bunch of Chippewa in my family. Both my Grandpa's sisters got a bit adoption crazy and gobbled up a sibling-set each.

I only know one of them well though. She and my mom are the same age and have always been really close. She's pretty big into her heritage and has taught me a lot over the years. She speaks the language fairly well and has taught me a few words too--not that I can ever pronounce them. :lol:

12. thestrangequark

On the positive side at least there is more that can be done (in most cases, though not all) to prevent or at least delay the onset of type 2. Type 1 is a whole other ballgame!

He was. :) Pretty much the cutest thing ever. And in case anyone needs proof:

[​IMG]

And my all-time favorite picture of him:
    [​IMG]
    I'm half Indian half white. Falcon, my grandfather, is Turtle Mountain Band Chippewa.
    Anishinabek language group is really difficult! I know one song in that language, but that's about it. My mom can speak a little bit of it. The words are super long...it takes like 47 syllables to say "May I have some coffee?" And if I'm remembering correctly, coffee translates literally into "black medicine water." :lol:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like the break room where I work...

14. thestrangequark

^Heh...the L key on my laptop sticks, coffee is "black medicine water." :)

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

A handsome family, indeed!
    Ahem.. do you by any chance have a brother or cousin in his 40s or early 50s over here in Germany? I'm kinda bored with being single ;)

You can pick them before the frost and infuse the fresh berries in water over night and then change the water before cooking them into a jam or jelly. This will remove much of the bitter taste (but also some of the vitamins).
    These berries are also good as a chutney (goes well with venison) in which case you throw away the water after boiling them.
    In Bavarian they are called Vogelbeeren = bird berries

16. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Oh, chutney and venison! :drool: I had that a few years ago at a nice restaurant in Neuschwanstein. Yummy!

This is from one of my many trips to the mountains here in Romania:

[​IMG]

17. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

TSQ, your family is very handsome! I have three brothers and cannot imagine losing one of them. I am very sorry for your loss, especially at such a young age.

KiM

18. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

That is stunning.

19. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Seriously awesome pic.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

At least now we know where she got all of her good looks.