The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

It's mirrored, not backwards. It's not like it matters!

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When they say TNG looks like an eighties show, it might be (for me at least and even the directors and producers of Trek have stated this), TNG started with a still of filming and editing and pacing of shots that is very mid eighties. And with the exception of a couple of directors stuck to that style. That style lasted with Trek through most of Voyager. It wasn't really until Braga took more control of VOY and ENT that directing, pacing and editing of the shows tried to play catch up to the rest of primetime. I say tried, because it never truely did catch up.

For any faults Braga has as a producer he is easily the most visually inspired producer Trek has had.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Could a mod turn that image into a link? It's stretching the heck out of the page.

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yeah, my guess is it's a placeholder and the final cover will have the CGI ship on it.

5. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Cover art for STNG-R sampler!!

Fantastic. This might finally compel me to buy a blu-ray player (or at least beg The Wife for one in time for Christmas)

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I dont think the style of tv changed till the 2000s, the 90s were pretty much like the 80s in terms of style and pacing.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The Bluray packaging looks very classy, I like it.

Well they were asked to vote...on the main ST site. Yes, online polls are not "scientific" but they can be used as a guage, and STNG overwhelmingly came out on top in the poll. In this it's the fans I want to hear from, not non-fans.

I'm sure he means LED back lit, which is what I just bought...it had the best picture of the 25 or so TVs on display.

RAMA

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Don't think so, but maybe this is a European market mock up.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: Cover art for STNG-R sampler!!

I bought one for TOS-R...in 2010...I'm ready to go!!

10. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Random thought: If CBS Digital really wants to troll the internet, they could release a promo clip of "The Most Toys" in which Fajo actually shoots at Data before he's getting beamed out, and then make millions off of selling "Data shot first!" apparel. :D

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

No worries; I just merged the threads together.

Done.

If anyone wants to repost it as an inline image, they're very welcome to. Just resize it so it doesn't break the thread. :)

Art looks pretty much what you'd expect (mirroring issue aside). It keeps some "genetic" legacy to the rest of the TNG sets and looks good too. Nice job.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

[​IMG]

It's magic I tells ya.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just like Q snapping his fingers...

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

15. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can see several shows in the 90's that adapted to a more theatrical filming style. It wasn't as wide spread. But it was there. Piller even talks about it when he did Legend in the 90's. How he crafted shows in a very Trek style, and how it didn't play as the visual medium had drastically changed.

When you saw shows in 2000 on CBS that were shoot more modern you knew you had fallen way the hell behind the times.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

They weren't very common or consistently so...in the 2000s, quicker cuts and other changes became the norm for dramas...but while it works ok for movies, it doesnt work as well for Star Trek...where the budget often goes to making convincing sets for things that just don't exist...and those sets become like a theater stage...they have to film on them a lot. Now I do feel a new series will adopt some methods of the "new" drama, but don't be surprised if a lot of it is still like 80-90s trek.

17. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to disagree. I'll give ya two letters -

E.R.

Premiered in 1994. Whether you like the show or not, its style was incredibly innovative (and influential e.g. 24, and a whole host of other US shows). A world away from the 1980s.

Michael Piller tried to bring serialisation and ongoing plot threads to Voyager (the Kazon traitor subplot) - another increasingly used device of episodic tele - but was shut down by Jeri Taylor.

18. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Check out the early episodes of TNG. Chances are there will be several scenes where the characters line up in front of the camera and talk across each other in a totally unnatural way. It's theatrical, and easy to shoot because the director didn't have the time/money/inclination to shoot everything twice using over the shoulder reaction shots.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm fully aware that LED TV's are back/side lit LCD's. However LED lit TV's have higher contrast ratios.

20. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

You beat me to it. They popularized a style of storytelling and visual look that is influential to this very day. TV became a lot more dynamic and fast-paced due to shows like ER.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.