A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Huh...that symbolism never occurred to me at the time, but that sounds pretty plausible, now that I'm thinking about it. If that's true,
    this may mean that Jon Snow becomes the embodiment of both Ice and Fire - Ice, being his home for many years in the North and at the Wall, and Fire, for supposedly being brought back to life by Mellisandre after the assassination attempt using the power of the Red God, once she realizes that he is the true second coming of Azor Ahai and not Stannis.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It was mentioned in a few of the interviews they did when the third season premiere was coming up. I've found this one reference from HitFix in March to the meeting with Martin this year where they went over where the storylines are heading in more detail:

I thought I'd read elsewhere it was in a hotel boardroom rather than Martin's home. Either the various stories about it got things mixed up or my memory was faulty.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, R(Fire)+L(Ice)=J.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The visit in February also included Bryan Cogman, who mentioned it in a Rolling Stone interview:
    I imagine they get together with him at least annually to talk about what they have planned for the following season and the ways in which it might conflict with what's coming in future books.

On his Conan appearance last night Martin said he was writing The Winds of Winter "very fast" because he's fully aware the show might catch up. I wouldn't read too much into that, but he did seem more generally optimistic about his progress than in interviews from last year, when he was still in "it's a long way off" mode. Most of the extra projects he took on in the burst of optimism that followed finishing Dance have been finished (or cancelled), so he may have more time to devote to the book now.

5. 137th Gebirg

I'm still hoping for the originally-projected early 2014 release. I'm going to have to re-read the first 5 again just to refresh my memory, it's been so long.

6. Brendan Moody

There was never a projected early 2014 release; at one point he said that was the soonest it could possibly happen, but the intention there was to rule out 2012 and 2013, not to project any actual date. It's been a year since then; at this point I'd say the chances of early 2014 are virtually nil.

7. Venardhi

He even specifically says it is a monster "1500 page manuscript like the last one", so he must be pretty far along. I know there were a few hundred pages left out of the previous book, and a few chapters he had written waaay back that keep getting pushed back, so it is possible he may be well on his way to having something to turn in this winter or next year.

Remember that the last 2 books were in large part 'filler' while pieces got moved around to where they needed to be to for the lead-up to the climax. Jon, Bran and a few other characters obviously had some very important events happen to them, but it is still mostly setup for what is to come. Now that everything is primed to go, I don't think it unlikely that his enthusiasm and pace have picked up as well.

8. Brendan Moody

He's just saying he plans on 1500 manuscript pages, which he's been saying about each of the last two books ever since finishing Dance.

He had somewhere between 100 and 200 manuscript pages (about five to ten chapters) left over when he finished Dance, plus an unknown amount of rough draft and partial chapters, and a full year later he had 200 pages complete and 200 of drafts and partials.

9. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. 137th Gebirg

1/4?? Yeah...definitely not 2014. :(

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

On Conan last night he said he's writing faster than usual because he doesn't want the show to catch up with him. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it next summer. Consider how fast he wrote A Storm of Swords.

12. Venardhi

You never know. Those first few books seemed to pop out pretty quick. If he can tap back into that then we may just see him beat the show to the ending.

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks. I guess that explains some of those semi-bookspoilers that we got this season. Like the confirmation of Theon's gelding or Melissandre's "We will see each other again." to Arya.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Man, I actually didn't think they'd do that.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder if the ratings drop since the last episode? :lol:

18. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

So yeah, some more small to big changes to the story this ep.

- Stannis' redemptive decision to head to the Wall is the opposite of redemptive.
    - Jaime and Brienne arrive in King's Landing before the Purple Wedding, wonder how they're going to work around that? Just have Loras throw Brienne in the dungeons until after?
    - Bran never gets Sam to promise not to tell Jon where he's going.

Anything else?

19. Brendan Moody

It's been obvious since last year that the producers don't "get" Stannis, and somehow think it's more interesting if he's yet another ruthless schemer rather than a study in the ambiguities of having a rigid sense of right and wrong.

Martin considered a lot of timelines for Jamie and Brienne's arrival in King's Landing. At one point they were to get there not only before the Purple Wedding but before the Red Wedding; you can still see evidence of that due to an error in the finished chapter, where Tywin and Jaime briefly talk about Catelyn as though she's still alive. I imagine it'll be easy enough to keep Brienne and Jaime occupied until after the wedding.

I'm more surprised that they played out the whole Dragonstone story this year. Granted, there was no other way to give it a real conclusion, but now they have nothing to do next year until Stannis gets to the Wall, unless they invent a scene where he grinds an infant's bones to make his bread.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stannis has been dumbed down for the TV viewers to the point where he's unrecognisable. A similar thing has happened to Tyrion in that he's way too nice in the show. I can't actually imagine him killing Shae in cold blood.