Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Has anyone received these in the 'States yet? I was under the impression that they would have shipped by now - customarily once the card has been charged.

2. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not yet. I really don't expect them until late October. Up to 3 weeks for delivery.

3. 137th Gebirg

Hmm... UK businesses must do things a little differently. It is generally considered an unwise business practice to charge someone's credit card before the merchandise is ready to ship. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though. They seem to have been pretty straight shooters, as far as I can tell.

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe they charged at (or right before) the time of shipment. The delivery time can vary quite a bit though. The ships may be in the mail but if they used a slow shipping service it can take a few weeks to arrive.

5. Johnny Rico

Prototype Bajoran Solar Sailer images released:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

As I thought during the DS9 episode, it looks like someone ripped the design directly from the album cover of "Olias of Sunhillow".

Aesthetically, it's quite pleasing and makes a change from nacelles. Now how are they going to fit it in the box?

7. Johnny Rico

Good question. And it has been answered by the man himself. The model requires a little bit of self-assembly. The wings are detached while in the box.

That said, this is still very much a prototype. They're still playing with the paint job. Many people were suggesting to use a metallic flake paint for the wings. And that the "pod" was too yellow.

8. Johnny Rico

Received my ships, magazines and 16-issue folder in the mail today in rural Southern Illinois. A few notes: Bases are quite sturdy with some heft to them. Very good quality base. Floating mounting stand is practically invisible from a distance. Models themselves are heavier than I thought they'd be based on the size. Even as small as the Enterprise-Refit is, the die-cast saucer has got some good weight to it. Despite the rather simplistic paint job on the Refit, it's still a pretty good looking model. I do think it needs a few darker or blacken highlights. Wasn't the rear of the nacelles darker grey or black? One odd thing I noticed about the D is that the top few decks (A & B Decks) are flatter on the model than I thought they'd be. I will be posting pictures on my Facebook page in the Star Trek Starships Collection folder. I'll add a link to it in my Sig when I get the chance later today.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  9. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Sweet! Hopefully mine will be arriving shortly. I live in Illinois, too, about an hour or so from Chicago.

10. 137th Gebirg

Will be looking for it too, in the DC Metro area.

11. Johnny Rico

Yep. Came in a decent sized little box via USPS not unlike your typical Amazon box. Inside the box was a bit of bubble wrap, and then the rather large folder with the magazines and the 2 boxes the ships came in all inside the folder.

12. trekker670

Cool, SE Michigan here. Hopefully they'll be waiting for me when I get home from work!

13. 137th Gebirg

Just called my wife, they're waiting for me at home. Sounds like they came out of a distribution center in Pennsylvania.

14. trekker670

I just got word mine arrived today too.

15. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Well, apparently I'm left out in the cold today. Nothing for me. :(

ETA: I guess I can't follow simple instructions. I wanted the subscription to go to my workplace because nobody is home when the mail comes to my house. But in doing so I put the shipping address as my house and the billing address as my workplace. So maybe it will be there when I get home later tonight.

16. Johnny Rico

Check out my FB photo album in the link below. I got some really cool sun back-lit images of the Ent-D with some natural JJ lens flare effects going on.

17. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

Didn't get mine yet, but mail seems a bit slow in this area (Four Corners, New Mexico). I wouldn't be surprised if it were sitting at the post office. Half the time they give me a slip to pick up the package rather than leave it in a package mailbox twice its size.

Johnny Rico, your pics are great! The refit E doesn't look nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.

18. Racer_X

Racer_X Commander Red Shirt

I got mine, I'm in Denver.

19. Johnny Rico

It ain't too bad, but they definitely missed an opportunity. No Aztec paint job, and the lack of some greenish-grey paint on the deflector dish cone and along the dorsal side of the engineering hull just below the neck, and a vertical stripe of that same color up the neck just to the front of the few windows on it. I also noticed that the Federation "decal" on the side isn't positioned correctly. The little "Starfleet emblem" is too far back. It should start on that last ring of the cone, and on this model, it's completely off of the cone.

But the problem is that this model is so relatively small that these paint job issues would be extremely difficult to do. I don't know the method of which these were painted. I don't know if the prototype was hand-painted, and then copied by machine for mass production, or if every model is hand painted.

20. Johnny Rico

For those who are having a hard time figuring out how to assemble the folder, it's a bit confusing at first. I actually did it backwards at first, so here's what you do.

Cut off the moldings of the little pegs from each side of the binder. Then remove the pegs from the molding. They give you 4 extra pegs for the binder in case you break or lose any. Now then, here's where I screwed up the first time. But here's the correct way to do this. 1) Carefully unsnap the end caps off of the spine ends. This exposes the rear holes for where the pegs go. 2) Feed each peg into the holes from THAT side with the the little flared end of the peg away from the hole. It's kind of like a nail head. That head is used to hold the pegs in place. 3) Once you get all 16 pegs into each spine end, snap the cover back into place to hold the pegs. But once you try to fit the magazines into them, you will most probably have to leave one end cap undone to be able to pull the peg out enough to fit the mag in properly. It was hard enough trying to get these 2 mags in side by side. I can't imagine how tight it will be once we get 16 in there.