STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought the merchandise for the new films was controlled by Paramount and Bad Robot?

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek made $21,061,701 on its first Sunday. STiD made $21,594,735. That makes tracking the daily numbers and the extent to which STiD is matching, surpassing or falling off from Star Trek's legs easy to follow. Monday to Wednesday should see STiD keep pace. Then it'll face its first test of increased competition when The Hangover Part III enters the marketplace on Thursday.

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It is, but there isn't much you can do if CBS control 95 percent of the franchise which is mostly TV based. We see a lot of Trek blu rays, DVDs, remasters, special editions etc etc for the old versions, what does the new version have? One movie, four years ago. They couldn't even do a animated series to appeal to children even if they wanted to.

They did mess up with the video game though, they need to just sell the vidya game license to a company with a good track record and let them do what they want. They might not earn as much money but it'll help with the film.

4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I still say that There should be some Abrams-verse novels in between STiD and ST3 :). The Star Wars EU has always been huge, and that was probably part of what sustained its popularity up until the prequels (along with the special editions). I'm sure the comic books are nice, but that doesn't really interest me as much, although I would see a Star Trek movie regardless, so I'm probably not their target. The animated series idea is a good one too, but I think that a live-action Starfleet Academy series with young, good-looking actors is an even better idea.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can someone explain to me the "opening weekend hassle?" I've yet to go see a movie on opening weekend or even the midnight showing where I had to wait in line for 5 hours or haven't gotten a seat. Get there a little early, pick up your tickets, walk in and find a seat. There's never been a mosh pit... even in full theaters.

7. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll have to wait till I get home from work - but I'm sure I have a few novels that came out after ST09 (not adult paperback but young adult IIRC)... :confused:

8. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only time I've had issues was when I went with others - took my parents to see ST09 and had to sit a row back because it was sold out (first week). When I go alone - no problems!

9. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I also rarely go to a film on opening day, or opening weekend. Too much hassle, too many crowds. One exception to this was in fact Star Trek Into Darkness. I saw it opening day here (the 9th), but during a daytime showing, on my day off, when the theatre was nearly empty.

10. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I did know about all of that, and I think it's a shame. I still hold out hope that novels will be released :) Although, any novel from the Star trek: Enterprise era could be considered within the Abrams-verse, since that takes place before the time-line split and should still all be Abrams Canon-worthy. To be back on topic though, I don't think they should go the next three years without throwing us a bone, or a 'Bones' :). They probably shouldn't focus on big plot twists that have to be kept secret either, and maybe just give a more straight-forward story.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as getting kids hooked goes, SW has it over ST by far (as do all the comic book series). Therein lies the problem. It doesn't even have to do with the quality of the toys, but just what they are. A Spock doll or C3PO? Khan or Darth Vader? Kirk in uniform or a swashbuckling Han Solo? Data or R2D2? A light saber or a phaser? Which is cooler, a TIE fighter (with no pretense of being real) or the Enterprise (which pretends to be)?

Would a kid want to be Iron Man on Halloween or McCoy?

Disney is going to do all it can to work the Marvel characters it has legal rights to into its Florida theme parks. There's already a large "Star Wars" presence at the Disney Hollywood Studios. DC characters (at least used to) have a tie-in with Six Flags.

The closest thing to any of this I've seen in Trek over the years was a Borg-themed roller coaster at Paramount Kings Dominion around the time FC came out. That, and you could buy t-shirts with the Starfleet arrowhead on them. I guess the Las Vegas Trek experience would count, too. But that was hardly at a kid-friendly place.

Not to sound facetious, but comparatively speaking, what the hell is there in "Star Trek" to market to kids? Cultivating young fans seems to be an area where Trek will always lose out.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I always go to tentpole movies weekdays/early showings now. I loathe the Friday/Saturday night throng, which are usually replete with assorted feckless idiots, insistent on volumously regaling the audience with their continuous witticisms.

13. I am not Spock

I got into Trek when I was 12 (shrugs). I loved the action figures, and the phasers, micro machines ship models, etc. I saw Trek some time before I saw Wars.

But yeah, you may be right. Wars has a broader appeal. There's more there for children.

I do think they should make another TAS though, with this cast

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Puring Tribbles? ;) Scotty's side kick Keenser?

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I to very rarely go see a film opening weekend, it's usually one or two weeks later. Though I did go to see Into Darkness on opening morning, opening morning being 00:05. Their were only about 40 people tops viewing it in the screen I was in, but they did have it on 2 screens.

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Paramount & CBS should have worked together on a cartoon to rival 'Clone Wars' years ago... still nothing. Adventures of the Enterprise in-between movies! It would be a hit.

17. pineiskirk

pineiskirk Ensign Newbie

I agree with you 4 years was too long but i don't think JJ helped anything by accepting star wars episode 7 since that's all anybody talked about not his current star trek movie .

18. I am not Spock

I would be all for another TAS.

I don't know why they don't go for it. I wish CBS and Paramount would play nice, and one or the other not throw their toys out of the sandpit and go home.

Just get the cast into a booth, get the guys who made Clone Wars on the phone, and go at it

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Overall, a very good analysis.