Jon Favreau exits IRON MAN 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Actually, it would be a place where truly knowing something, instead of going off on half-cocked info, would be valued as a plus and as a sign of intelligence instead of being stupid. I've seen this in politics as well; the Canadian left-wing website Rabble is one example.

Rabble would be great if it could dial down the anti-American, anti-police invective seen at its BBS. But instead, all I see when I go there (and I may truly stop doing so this year) is the same thing repeated, ad infinitum, and ad nauseaum. It isn't any better than what goes on at a right-wing site, and it's just as worse. I've seen people at websites devoted to home video act like bratty little children because their favorite old TV show isn't on DVD yet, or because some portion of an old show on DVD could't have it's music-which repeats (like most shows of the 1950's and 1960's) itself over and over (The Fugitive Soundtrack Debacle).

NONE of this behavior helps the Internet any, and just makes it look like a den of unintelligent people who constantly play The Telephone Game with regards to how the entertainment industry functions (this was also commented in the famous 2004 article
    Clueless Morons by Lee Goldberg.) 'Before you mouth off on something, you should know something' should be the mantra everybody goes by, off and online.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, enough!

Listen to me carefully:

The ending was not the only problem. The whole damn movie was the problem, and if Joss Whedon was apologetic about it it was only because he was sorry he didn't have total control over it, the better to reward his slavering fans with yet another JW joint, which would have been Serenity with Aliens, the prospect of which was hinted at in Resurrection and makes my skin crawl, and if the studio "interfered" it only served to save us from the full force of Whedon's moronic, half-assed ideas about science fiction.

I don't care if he hated the movie, I don't care that others have absolved him of responsibility for it, I would rather subject myself to Twilight/True Blood marathon than watch any superhero movie that Whedon has total control over.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm getting the feeling that you don't like Joss Whedon. ;)

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

So was John Favreau required by the eeeevil studio higher ups and Marvel to have the Iron Man dancers at the Stark Expo?

Inquiring minds want to know, and fortunately for me it seems we have several people posting here who are privy to exactly what went on behind the scenes!

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find people like Favreau and Whedon greatly interesting as creators - what they do is not quite like what other people do (and not much like one another). I'll tolerate quality that varies from great to "meh" if my experience is that I'm likely to be surprised or moved or get a real laugh out of someone's work; there is no shortage of reliably pedestrian directors and writers after all. Most of Hollywood is like some kind of mid-range supermarket wine - it'll do the job every time but who wants to drink all that much of it?

OTOH, I don't give a fuck what the future of any "franchise" is (with the possible sentimental exception of Star Trek, of course). If Marvel or DC is determined to churn out acceptable, profitable and bland action movies they can both sink into the sea for all I care and drown their spiders and bats with them.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually Admiral2 doesn't like Joss writing anything to do with sci-fi...I think he's fine with him writing Buffy :)

Guy Ritchie is probably not on that list because of "Sherlock Holmes" and he has a King Arthur project following that up so he's busy. Out of the directors listed I'd be excited for Neil Blomkamp who's next project is "Elysium" and Duncan Jones who is supposed to be doing "Mute" after "Source Code". Interesting that this is the second superhero movie short list he has shown up on.

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Duncan Jones--too serious. Ben Stiller--not serious enough. Of those listed here, I think Verhoeven would be my first choice (though it seems like he hasn't made a movie in quite a while). Starship Troopers was packed with futuristic combat action with a heavy dollop of mordant humour. That is, in many ways, how I would describe the first Iron Man movie. He'd be prime to recapture that sensibility.

I'm not, since I have no idea why people keep getting hung-up on the Avengers stuff, insisting that a brief interlude in a feature-length film is responsible for everything they perceive to be wrong about it (and I, for one, liked Iron Man 2). I am, however, familiar with RDJr's reputation as being sometimes difficult to work with.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure preproduction on this doesn't start up for at little while, so they have plenty of time to find a suitable replacement. I do think Joss's sensibilities match Favreau moreso than some of those other guys who seem like serious directors. But what do I know, maybe brannaugh or Johnston will want the job.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Whereas all that stuff goes in the same bucket as far as I'm concerned. Vampires, spaceships, flying men from Krypton - it's all fantasy. Or "skiffy." ;)

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Regardless of your own views about the Avengers stuff and the quality of the movie, much of the gossip and tittle-tattle about the making of IM2 and Favs' feelings about it has centred on his not liking Marvel's insistence on including the Avengers-related material and scenes.

That of itself does not make it true, but I do find it surprising that a story purporting to tell the truth about his departure completely omits any reference to that rumour. So that makes me doubt the comicbookmovie story.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

And in his own words:

He'll still be the executive producer for Iron Man 3 as well. I believe he may hold a producer credit for The Avengers as well.

Much ado about nothing.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Sure, because obviously Hollywood types only ever tell the truth and never give diplomatic versions for the press.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Admiral Buzzkill

It's not that big a deal. What I read there is that Favreau will continue to be compensated nicely by Marvel for what he in fact did - as he's not shy about reminding us - turn the on-again, off-again successes of Marvel at the movies into a franchise with real momentum and focus.

(No, Spider-Man and the X-critters did not)

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Favreau exiting Iron Man 3 was entirely predictable. RDJ will probably make Iron Man 3 and then call it quits.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

There's a common saying: a movie is written three times. Once by the writer. The second time on set. The third time in the editing bay.

This doesn't take into account studio interference when the writer is working on X number of drafts.

I'm not fan of Joss Whedon. I don't bow to his throne. I don't go crazy for EVERYthing he does, I'm kinda MEH on him directing the Avengers, but, seriously, a writer on a film script has a tremendous lack of power.

That's why writers either become directors or they move into TV, where they will wield power.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

The trailer for Cowboys And Aliens is more intriguing than the entire collection of spandexed-and-plastic-armored super douches that Marvel is touting this year and next, anyway. Maybe Whedon can make the Avengers worthwhile.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno if anyone has heard Favs audio commentary for "Iron Man 2" it's pretty compelling, gets right down to explaining things and pointing out Easter eggs.

20. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a bit disappointed that he couldn't stick it out for another movie, but y'know sometimes that's what it takes for the studio to go "hmm maaaaaaybe we shouldn't have pushed too hard." Although, as much as I loved the Fav's directed Iron Man movies, I wouldn't mind seeing the 3rd one be a bit more action oriented. I'm not talking Micheal Bay like action, but I would like to see more of Iron Man in action and fighting actual super villans, even if they are just one off'ers. Hell, I'd love to see the Beetle or Jack Frost aka Blizzard or even an appearance by some 'side' characters, like Madam Masque or the Controller - hell I'd just like to see him fight some guys with more powers or even some random goons, show him be a hero more often than once a movie.

Granted Avengers will be the big team piece, but I'd still like to see Iron Man actually fight some lower level baddies before he encounters the Mandarin.