"Superman Returns Again" still in limbo...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Norrin Radd, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

Because I know Superman Returns is one of our fave topics here at the sci-fi/fantasy boards, here's a little non-update:

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/08/19/where-is-warner-bros-going-with-superman/

2. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

What about a SERENITY sequel?

Has anyone seen SUNSHINE? What are your opinions on that movie? :p

What did everyone think of the Star Wars prequels?

3. Well you sort of had to read between the lines, but the fact that, even just a year after SR, they hadn't made any movement on the sequel, told you there was possible trouble behind the scenes.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care what they do any more, as long they keep Routh and Bosworth and not waste screen time on another origin story.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the "go in the right direction" comment.
    I await the die hard Returns will get a direct sequel crowds response on this one.

7. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they need to abandon "Returns" and start from scratch. Keep the title, keep "The Man of Steel" because it plays off of the Dark Knight, but... otherwise? Reboot.

The one thing they need most of all is a convincing Superman. They need someone with a mid-level large build. Not Schwarzenegger or the Rock build, but between Bale in Begins and Schwarzenegger in T2. Superman is supposed to be a little bulky, no skinny.

Likewise, the voice has to be right. He has to sound 30-ish. Not 18, like Routh.

Lois Lane needs to be a lot more sassy and smart, a lot less... Bosworth. LOL.

Avoid Luthor or make him supporting; do not focus upon him. They need a real villian. Doomsday, Darkside, Zod, somebody who can give him a true physical challenge.

If they want to do any origin stuff, do it like Begins did only quicker. Flashback/memory sequences as the story evolves. Even Superman's introduction to the world should be such. The film should begin with him fighting the bad guy, and go back and forth between such and memories.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Bring on Green Lantern, The Flash, Shazam, etc, let Supes rest for a few years, and then start from scratch. It's the best approach at this point in my opinion.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

heh I got a chuckle out of the "you've changed things Nolan"

Raimi- to them your just a freak, like me! hahahahaha

10. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those are some really good ideas. Yeah the movie should be a total reboot, Clark arriving to Metropolis, finding a job etc while we get his origin in small flashbacks throughout the movie. Don't throw Doomsday at him in the first movie but definitely a real super villain and not Lex and his never ending supply of Kryptonite.

And yes they need a guy with muscles, Superman is a buff guy

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Routh was easily muscular enough to play Superman (in fact I believe he had the biggest build of any of the actors to play Superman to date). I had no problem with that aspect of the film, and I'd rather not see Superman portrayed as more of a muscle man than that.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Routh had a swimmer's body( Micheal Phelps) unlike Chris Reeve who was trained by the guy who wore the Darth vader suit

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Routh was built fine, the problem was the suit was just way too tight and constricting. Hopefully for the next movie they go with a looser and more flattering kind of material (although I still like the redesign they came up with).

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite his build, Routh seemed too boyish somehow

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Routh was fine. He would've been much better as a new Superman than the grizzled veteran Superman, but oh well. And Bosworth was about as wrong as you could get for casting.

16. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I think Routh will be a little less boyish by the time the next film gets made. ;)

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Routh really was the only major thing they got right. Oh, they did other things right as it pertained to the Donnor-verse, however, the problem they didn't percieve was that they would fumble the resurrection and presentation of that verse to today's audience.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I thought Routh was decent as Superman, but I didn't particularly like his acting as Clark Kent. Routh and Bosworth would have been much better served by a new take on Superman where the characters are young reporters just starting out at The Daily Planet.

I actually think that Singer's take on the Superman mythos might have worked great if he'd cast leads who were appropriate in terms of portraying a Superman and Lois Lane who have shared a long history together, with Superman having left and come back after a long absence. Imagine Jim Caviezel and Diane Lane in the roles and it's a very different movie.

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the modern history of his films, the next movie should be titled "Run Superman, Run!".

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically enough, back when Mark Millar was so confident that Jim Caviezel was going to play Superman, I was actually convinced. I thought he could pull it off. I was a tad disappointed that it wasn't actually him, since Millar had pulled off one hell of a convincing argument. Then again, he is one very manipulating, very conniving guy. He would lead everyone to believe he was doing the next Superman film ... even himself! :lol: