Question re iPad Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Ro_Laren, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I’m looking into buying a tablet and am therefore of course looking at the various iPad models. I know that iPad Pages, Numbers, and Keynote can be used to open and edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents. It is my understanding that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote created on your iPad can also be saved as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files. Is this true? Also, can you access the iPad Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps if you are unable to access the internet? And, can you save Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents on your iPad (or a USB) when you don’t have internet access?

2. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, yes, and yes.

The you can translate files between the different formats, or just open MS formats easily on the Apple apps.

The apps are installed on your iOS device, they do not require a data connection to run.

You have the option of saving your files to the Cloud, or to your device. If you save them to the device then they are always accessible.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've never used Keynote, but I'm not a huge fan of Pages or Numbers. I was convinced to buy them instead of MS Office by the guy in the store, but I wish I had gone the other way. I find that a lot of formatting issues come up when I try to open a Pages document in Word, and there are some pretty simple things that I've taken for granted in MS Office that Pages just isn't designed to do (adding a Page Border, for instance).

4. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

That stinks! Yeah, the sales guy at the Apple store was telling me about Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. I just listened to what he said and then came home to do my own research. I found this link about iPad and Word compatibility. Does it seem accurate? I was thinking about showing Powerpoint presentations on my future tablet, but according to this link about iPad and Powerpoint compatibility, I won't be able to show things like image effects on the Powerpoint. That stinks, but it really just means that I would have to make a really simple Powerpoint presentation. Unless someone knows of an App out there that allows you to view Powerpoint presentations in all of the graphic- and effects-full glory!

I know that some tablets out there now come with free Microsoft Office software. For example, I was looking at the Lenovo - Miix 2 8 tablet. However, a review that I saw on Youtube said that if you install any Office products onto the tablet then it will significantly slow down the tablet. It doesn't do many any good to create a Powerpoint presentation if it takes me 5 minutes to go from one slide to the other, lol!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I mean, you can buy MS Office for Mac computers. I don't know if the same is true of iPads, though.

6. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This, I think, is the most relevant bit. You're looking into tablets as an alternative to laptops. And mobile OSes are not a full replacement for "desktop" OSes (which is what runs on a laptop). Thus, mobile apps are going to be more constrained.

"Image effects" or page transitions are bound to be different between apps and platforms. I found the same thing even within the "same app" on different platforms way back when I was making titles with Macromedia Director.

If you plan to present with the tablet, then that is all that matters. You might create a basic presentation in MS Office Powerpoint, then fine tune things like transitions and effects on the tablet—for example, assuming it's an iPad running Keynote.

Depending on which tablet you choose, all you need is any adaptors for connecting to the meeting room AV system. That might mean adaptors for VGA, DVI, HDMI or even wireless connectivity, depending on how well equipped the venue is.

Some projectors have MS Office built-in, so all one needs to do is upload the file to the projector. But will that version of Office be up-to-date on all the things you want to do? The safest bet is a tablet with a handful of the basic adaptors for hooking up to presentation video systems.

7. Bisz

One thing to keep in mind is that Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free when you buy a new iOS product or Mac. You can give the apps a try and if you don't like them look for alternatives.

Currently there is no MS Office for iOS but it is rumoured to be coming in the second half of 2014. There is Office for OSX.

There are also various iOS apps which will display MS Office files but its been a while since I used them so I can't offer any concrete help there.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

One solution I've found for my iPad to do presentations is to create and display it in Google Drive which does permit page transitions because it's using Google's operating system. While you cannot edit the presentation on the iPad you can however present it using all of the presentation functions.

Google Drive also seems to save more of the MS Office page transitions more accurately as well as the formatting.

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah they screwed you with that decision. Pages/Numbers/Keynote is at best, similar in capability to the old Microsoft Works. No way does it compare to any version of Office, particularly 2003 and up.

And I don't think Pages/Keynote are free on iOS. I just checked and they are $9.99 each on the App Store.

10. Bisz

If you buy a new Apple product, they are free.

11. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

No. Microsoft has refused to release Office for the iPad so they can exclusively sell it for their Surface tablets.

12. Bisz

I have never heard that, do you have any sources?

In fact I heard that MS will be releasing Office for iOS later this year.

Link
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/08...-a-boost-if-stephen-elop-named-microsoft-ceo/

13. Bisz

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

At $10 bucks a month, $99 bucks a year, MS can keep them.

16. Bisz

Yeah, I don't get the whole Office 365 thing... why pay so much for something when there are free alternatives which are virtually just as good.