Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Troy and Abed dressed up at the end of the second episode about killed me. XD

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Community is back! I loved the Pierce cameo, I was not expecting that.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Season 4 a lot, but the first two episodes of S5 really hammered the point home that it's a completeley different (and better) show with Harmon at the helm. Bravo to a great S5 opening. #sixseasonsandamovie

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Wow! I loved both episodes, I really didn't see that Pierce cameo coming and it was so well done. Laughed a lot, welcome back, Dan Harmon.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. Nailed it.

I thought the first two episodes of the new season were good. Pierces replacement has potential. Chang back to being a teacher was another good move.

My only real concern is whether or not the show will suffer without Troy, given the small cast of main characters and how dependent the show has been on the Troy/Abed dynamic. Though I did notice they were hinting at a Shirley/Abed dynamic in the future

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, the Pierce cameo made me feel like the show was on the right track again. It would have been easy (and humorous) to just do what the episode had been doing until that point and just ignore the elephant in the room, but instead they dealt with it in an unexpected, heart-felt, classy way that tied in perfectly with the story. I hate to flog a dead horse by bashing season 4 again, but it just didn't have any moments as good as that.

But even if these two episodes were good, I'm still withholding judgement on the season until I see how they deal with Troy's departure. Pierce was a sucky character in recent years so his loss isn't a big deal, but losing Troy is going to suck.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I missed most of Season 4, what is the reason they're giving for Pierce not being there? I know the hologram hinted at it, but I didn't quite pick it up.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the end of Season 4 he graduated. The events referenced in the hologram weren't depicted in Season 4 and I can only assume they occurred after graduation.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The hologram said Pierce was permanently banned from the campus over a sexism lawsuit.

That is true they had that scene where Abed finds out Shirley is into movies. I didn't make the connection with Troy leaving, but that may be the foreboding.

Also, note that Shirley is separated again, and strapped for income, and Abed and Troy's apartment is about to have a vacancy.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm currently watching another show on Netflix, but when I get the time I intend to catch up on Community.

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Netflix only has the DVDs of Community, it's not available on instant streaming. I've been re-watching the previous seasons through DVDs.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Dang, I could have sworn I saw it pop up one day when I was browsing Netflix. Oh well, I'll get to it eventually.

13. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

The entire series is on Hulu Plus. Maybe that's what you were thinking of.

14. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The best way to deal with Troy not being there is to not shine a light on it at all. There are 7 main cast members, more than most shows, and its not difficult to simply not feature the character in plots. Season 9 of Scrubs did this (season 8, too, if I recall) when they couldn't afford to contract the whole cast for every episode. Each of the principal cast rotated through episodes in which they didn't appear, but there were enough other cast members and supporting cast that it was seamless. Even the episodes that were missing Braff in season 8 were well done without having to acknolwdege the elephant in the room.

Troy shouldn't be written off, because that precludes his return. Conversely, Pierce has been written off, contractually (and according to Harmon, he had to jump through hoops to get the cameo he did end up getting, including filming Chevy Chase on a separate soundstage, hence the "hologram").

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Season nine of Scrubs was a disaster. If they had to reduce the number of regulars in season eight, though, I didn't notice, except for Bob Kelso (who had a reason for being part-time). Checking IMDB, Braff was in every episode that year except for one, and his absence was definitely addressed on screen (being the narrator of the show, it sort of had to be).

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 8 of Scrubs did have to cut the number of episodes each cast member would appear in by two or three episodes, but in a 19 episode season that still meant that all the main characters appeared in 16 or 17 episodes. It was noticeable sometimes, particularly when JD wasn't in an episode, but it was tempered by the knowledge that they would be in the next episode. They also arranged it so all of the cast were in the finale.

Scrubs season 9 wasn't really the same show, it was a spin-off that just happened to use the same name for marketing reasons. Its only purpose in pop-culture is to be used as a punchline, something Community did quite well.

Troy is only in 5 of the 13 episodes this season, which is a much larger absence than any of the individual characters in Scrubs proper. What's more, once he's gone, he's gone. He wont even be returning for the finale. That's a much harder pill to swallow than what Scrubs did.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's easier to just not feature a character when they're missing from two or three episodes than from half the season.

You don't have to write him out though, you just have to write him away. Make him become an ancient or something. Oh, right, not a scifi show. So don't Daniel Jackson him, just Randy Taylor him, send him on a trip to Europe. Anything which just takes him away from the area briefly.

Or just make him get a full time job. Something that could take him away from the show forever, but if Donald Glover should decide he wants to come back, they can easily have him get fired or quit.

18. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Replace him with Danny or Corey Glover

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't believe they got, or bothered to get, Chevy Chase back for a cameo. Was anyone particularly clamoring for his return?

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a nice ending for the character. It's too bad they had to part ways the way that they did, I really liked Pierce and thought he added a lot to dynamic of the group.