More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Tuesday: Willow II: Willow Wisp.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Wednesday: Howard The Duck vs. Indiana Jones

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Thursday: Mass suicides.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Think you missed part of my joke.

5. CorporalCaptain

What did I miss?

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. At one point, he also said he wrote stories for a movie just about Wookies, and a history of the droids. I imagine these are among the "other treatments" he turned over to Disney.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Willow - Birch - trees. The third movie could be Elm, then Oak, then to add a twist we go to - Bamboo.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Darth Maul was the only good thing to come OUT of the prequels myself.

Screw character development-- he was dark and scary and straight-up evil like the best of the OT villains, and he commanded the screen in a way no other character in the prequels did.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No, no, awful. Lucas is ALWAYS WRONG, you see?

BTW Willow now insists that you call him Thorn Drumheller.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The best OT villains had character something that Maul never had and which Dooku and Grievous had in spades.

11. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume they're doing a bit of copying of the Marvel model here, what with stand-alone superhero films and the occasional coming together in a big event movie. Episodes VII, VIII and IX are the Avengers movies. These newly announced stand-alones are Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc.

Of course, the difference being that the big characters are established in the main episodes and then split off into mini-adventures, while in the Marvel universe the characters are established in mini-adventures and then brought together after the fact...

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

We could see him shooting womp-rats and hotrodding his T-16 down Beggars' Canyon.

He did! That was The Star Wars Holiday Special.

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have it from a reliable source:
    They've got 1,000,000 Wookkies at 1,000,000 typewriters.

PS. Ahsoka in TCW is so not dying! Kids love her. She'll have her own string of films.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  14. I think these side movies are going to flop actually (on the whole, I'm sure the first one will do ok). I think Disney is going to be very surprised at how little general audiences care about "side stories" set in corners of the SW universe. I just have this feeling that if it's not a "real" star wars movie, they're going to treat it like that theatrical Clone Wars "movie" (which was the first two TV episodes packaged for theatrical release).

Of course i have no idea on the execution. They could make it super awesome I suppose. Actually if they do the Yoda movie, the best bet might be to make it overtly a kid's movie.

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'm the opposite. I'm tired of the Skywalker storyline. Let it go.

I'd rather see a bunch of spin offs in the same universe.

16. cooleddie74

It might be cool and fun to have a movie based around a handful of Jedi who managed to survive the Great Purge and flee into the distant corners of the new Empire in an attempt to hide and survive. EU materials (which may or may not suck and be worth one's time and attention depending on the story) have more than once depicted Jedi who successfully went into long term hiding on distant worlds outside the reach of the Emperor and Vader only to reveal themselves after the events of Return of the Jedi.

Done right a "Fugitive Jedi" story might be entertaining with a lot of suspense along the lines of Harrison Ford's The Fugitive. A two-hour film of a former Jedi Knight staying one step ahead of a squad of Stormtroopers or even Darth Vader himself could prove a good investment of a movie ticket.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Realistically, in terms of market penetration, we're looking at a movie targeted at kids and a movie targeted at women.

18. cooleddie74

Which I don't mind for some of the future projects, but even Disney-owned studios have featured more adult and gritty material and made lots of money. Let the kids have their occasional film for all I care....spread the wealth around. After all, Lucas always intended his universe to be for everybody young and old.

But for those among us who wouldn't mind a dark tale every so often I hope the common tendency to play it safe to reach the widest audience possible doesn't result in some very dumbed down and castrated storylines that refuse to take dramatic risks.

19. cooleddie74

Oh, Interwebs. You nerf-herding scoundrel.

[​IMG]

20. CorporalCaptain

Hmmm. "Know" is the wrong spelling.