Babylon 5 or Lexx?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FIDONZ, Dec 29, 2012.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

What?! The show was $10 a season?! How did I miss this?!

2. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I picked them up for that price from amazon.ca (the Canadian amazon). At this moment, they're still $9.99 per season.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5. Thought I'm not a bit B5 fan (I've only seen a few season 1 and 5 episodes but all of the episodes in the seasons between) but I'd take it over Lexx any day. Lexx was an incomprehensible mess. I lasted about 6 episode before giving up.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

geez this thread is really getting rid of my Lexx guilt. Someone once told me it was edgy and amazing and every time I see it somewhere I feel like I should watch it.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Like I said, I always wanted to like LEXX, since it sounded wild and crazy and fun, but in execution . . . eh, not so much.

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Depends on how much you want to spend. I like Babylon 5 a whole lot more than Lexx, but I still enjoy both.

Assuming you're in the US, you can get the entire series of Lexx for $20 at Target. I don't mean season, I mean the whole thing.

They were originally released one disc at a time, then repackaged as season sets (at considerably higher prices). They've been picked up by another distributor and priced extremely cheap. You can get a box of seasons one and two, or a box of three and four, for $10. So, $20 for the whole series.

There are no additional movies with Lexx, that's the whole thing.

B5, you can get the full five seasons for $50 from amazon.ca ($9.99 per season). There are also several movies and a spin-off that tell other stories in the same universe. They're like bonus stories. Not needed for the series itself, but fun extras you can use to spend more time with your favorite characters.

Edited to add where you can get Lexx.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd agree about Lexx but I'd say the same thing about B5 as well give or take a few adjectives.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish the USA Amazon would match that price. With shipping it wouldn't make a difference. WBstore.com has them for $12.50 in the USA, I'm just an extra cheap bastard. :lol:

TheWB.com has the first season for free streaming in the USA.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Buy Firefly instead, spend the extra money on beer and pizza.

10. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you're in the US, you can watch the entire series of Lexx on Hulu for free.

Included with Netflix and Amazon Prime. Amazon even has it in HD.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You can get beer and Pizza on amazon? HD=home delivery, right?

;)

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, a perfect evening.

Now if I had someone to watch it with that might be even more perfect, though I'm so used to watching such shows in the complete privacy of headphones on the computer that I might just irritated.

13. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a pretty good summation for me. Although in the end I went with both, having skipped on broadcast TV for releases on DVD/streaming, why not enjoy both.

14. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Babylon 5 and Lexx are as apples and oranges as you can get the only thing that these two shows have in common is that they are set in space and feature organic starships.

15. Greg Cox

Yeah, it's kind of like comparing a straight version of Frankenstein to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

They both have mad scientists, but . . . .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's the best analogy ever. :)

17. Greg Cox

Thanks! And pretty on-target, I think.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ It is.

Well, the decision's been made, but I'll weigh in anyway, since these are both among my favorite shows. Basically, as has been said, they are way too different to be comparable.

Babylon 5 is classic SF-slanted Space Opera in an Asimovian vein, with big, epic ideas, lots of interesting characters and a storyline that spans centuries. In terms of quality, it is on the same level as stuff like Star Trek, Stargate and Firefly (and the special effects are fine-- people complain about them being primitive, but the bottom line is that the show looks beautiful, like the original Star Trek).

Lexx is classic Adventure-slanted Space Opera in a somewhat twisted Jack Vance vein. It's clever, funny and very exotic-- although not as erotic as people seem to think (at least not on my erotic-o-meter). The characters are very weird, but mostly lovable. In terms of quality, it is the equal of Star Trek and Babylon 5-- season three and The Lost Tales respectively.

And the series finales of both are tear jerkers.