Matt Smith would have stayed...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Oct 23, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, yeah, Tennant's Doctor could be just as wacky and over the top as Smith's.

Although frankly I thought Smith did it in a much more inventive and interesting way. The strangeness and goofiness just seemed to come much more naturally to him (as we saw in interviews with the actor himself), where Tennant often seemed to be forcing the matter.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved The Doctor's Daughter, and don't care what anybody says. :p

I don't think it's fair to say Tennant is the default Doctor, at least in the States - that'll be Smith, because the show has become so much more popular here in Smith's time.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the Jenny character, but the episode itself... not so much.

4. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Smith has a lot of Tennant in him too maybe, but Smith doesn't play it as well, and two doctors like that in a row can get a bit much. Plus I grew up with tenant, so it's personal reasons I like Tennant. If I didn't grow up with Tennant, I'd probably find him annoying too. In fact, lately I've been finding that I've been enjoying Eccleston and McGann more.
    lol.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I would have liked a two doctor series with the both of them. I think they would have a Jeeves and Wooster like chemistry

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The show is called Doctor Who, not Doctors Who. I love Tennant and Smith but its inherent in DW that the show changes its lead actor. Having them share the lead at the same time would be plain confusing.

Having said that, if DOTD is popular, I hope that Moffat will consider doing the odd Two Doctor episode in the ordinary run of the series, not just anniversary specials. Could be returns for Tennant, Smith or McGann (or Hurt?). Though best to give Capaldi a year or two to get established first.

7. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I was hoping that they would do something similar but with Paul McGann - have the Doctors' paths cross and current Who's assistant ends up with the past Doctor so we get to fill in some blanks through his/her eyes.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Personally think it's a terrible idea.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it'll be interesting to see DOTD from the perspective of seeing the man who tries too hard next to the man who does it naturally.

I like Tennant, I really do, but Christ when you rewatch epiosdes it's all so overblown and emoting to the max and it's so obvious he's acting! By contrast Smith has that natural alieness to him ala Tom.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe not a full season of the two, but certainly a 3-4 part story with both of them would have certainly made for an interesting anniversay season.

Before things get too heated, I'd just like to go off topic and Wish Matt Smith a happy birthday today (The 28th, which also happens to be mine). :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. Captaindemotion

^And happy birthday to you too.

12. Green Lantern

Happy birthday you two! :p

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Weird personal fact that doesn't really matter to anyone but me: Matt Smith has the same birthday as my dad but was born in the same year as me. (Unlike some people, I've yet to encounter the horror or realizing that the Doctor is younger than me. I just made it under the wire, though, since Matt Smith is only older than me by 22 days.)

Agreed. Although, he might not even necessarily need to wait so long to let Capaldi get established. I mean, "The Two Doctors" occurred in Colin Baker's first full season.

Yeah. I kinda have this image in my head of a season finale where the companion has been separated from the Doctor and is running for her life. She sees the familiar form of the TARDIS and bolts through the door. But when she turns around, instead of the gleaming blue & gray spaceship, she sees an Edwardian library, with Paul McGann making a sudden appearance.

That's often true. Although, I've often felt that Tennant's worst excesses were in the big season finales written by RTD. Tennant was capable of subtlety. Just not subtle eccentricity. Maybe they'll downplay the overly manic eccentricities to contrast with Smith and just focus on making the 10th Doctor friendly & charming.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure, I remember watching the family of blood 2 parter again not so long ago and when John Smith has his tearful farewell to Joan...I dunno, you could see the emoting going on. I'd contrast that with the very gentle acting of Smith in The Big Bang when he says goodbye to Amy before shooting off in the Pandorica, and then later when he's sitting by little Amelia's bedside.

But it's horses for courses I guess, and I realise some people like to see the acting. It's a similar argument to the RTD Who is more emotional than Moffat Who argument. It isn't, it's just a little less obvious about it.

As for a multi Doctor special in Capaldi's first year, I'd say the Two Doctors was probably a good reason not to do it :)

15. Captaindemotion

^Well, it didn't help that Patrick Troughton was an infinitely better actor and Doctor than Colin Baker and would've wiped the floor with him at any time during Baker's tenure. Capaldi is much more likely to hold his own with any of his predecessors. But I still think it's a bad idea to bring back an old Doctor while the new one is still establishing himself.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair to Colin I didn't mind him in The Two Doctors, but one of the (many) reasons it sucks (IMO) is that the two Doctors don't actually interact very much...although Colin would probably have come off worse if they had

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, and I've always thought that is why they had so few scenes together in The Two Doctors!

Mr Awe

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Farscape made it work for about that long. I think Who could too if they wanted to.

19. Green Lantern

I disagree, the Two Doctors is great, I'd go so far to say it's the best multi-doctor story to date, and even in my top 10 stories ever!

I'd say the 2 doctors interacted enough. But really instead of five doctors where they all just ran around Gallifrey, and then actually, they only all met up in the last five or so minutes, it actually builds up a story, and when the 2 doctors are together, it's really funny! Plus the Sontarans were great too.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Quite possibly the worst Sontaran story ever. Just my opinion of course ;)