World War Z ratings/spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

He'd have to turn over. Moonwalking is a difficult maneuver inside a box...

2. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The original ending had a 30 to 40 minute scene featuring a battle in Russia which was cut in favor of the WHO Scene in Wales. Damn i wish i could get my hands on that original scene.

http://www.businessinsider.com/world-war-z-original-ending-2013-6

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In all the zombie movies I'm aware of, not once have they ever shown signs of intelligence of any kind. (Indeed, almost by definition, a zombie is a creature without intelligence.) The only difference is some vague hinting in the final George Romero movie, and even then, the dead are only instinctively acting out parts of their former lives. They don't really know what they're doing.

Hell, even the Rage victims in the "28" films aren't intelligent, and they're not even dead!

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Day of the Dead Romero Film had Bud, who was intelligent
    FIDO had intelligent Zombies being kept as Pets
    Warm Bodies (I haven't seen it) apparently has intelligent Zombies coming back from Zombism

There are numerous examples of intelligent Zombies. I happen to be one who doesn't appreciate most movies with intelligent Zombies in them, but, it's certainly not an unheard of interpretation

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

What "intelligence" are you seeing, really? It doesn't take a genius to think 'Me hungry, there food, go get it." It doesn't take a rocket scientist to think "Food no good, stay away." You don't have to be Albert Frigging Einstein to think "That's in way of food. Climb over it." Nothing the zombies did in this movie displayed any more intelligence than a shark hunting down its next meal.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I haven't seen the movie, but, it's not uncommon for Zombies to be guided by a sense of smell.

Many Zombie movies have Zombies only go after Humans. It must be the keen sense of smell that distinguishes a Human from a Dog (such as in Dawn of the Dead Remake 2004, but, it's common in many Zombie movies that animals are safe).

In the TV Series The Walking Dead, early in Season 1, our Heroes slop themselves up with Zombie guts and go unnoticed by Zombies until Rain washes the Zombie guts. At the end of S2 a new character shows up with "Pet Zombies" that she uses to keep other Zombies away, and in S3, there are several instances of using "defanged" Zombies to throw dangerous Zombies off their scent.

So, a Terminal Disease, that contaminates your scent, could be giving off an unappealing scent to the Zombies.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You're right. This is kind of what i've been trying to tell Mr. L. Beam. The zombies don't have to be these superintelligent unfathomable things to do the things they did in the movie. That's what i liked about them. They're different from zombies in other movies, but not so different that they're a completely different monster.

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I liked the movie. After the dreary Man of Steel, where I felt that I went down two miles into the dark ocean, this movie moved me back closer to the surface.

I think Gerry's decision would not be unfamiliar to Star Trek fans. There was a time when Leonard McCoy made a decision to inject himself with a medicine in a situation where he didn't know if his actions would save his life or condemn him to death.

A member of the staff at the WHO mentioned there was a natural precedent for what humans did at the end of the movie. Does anyone know what that precedent was?

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And all he was under threat of was some kids wanting to bash him in the head! ;)

But I believe even in our own real-world history of medical science scientists and doctors have experimented on themselves or close family members with unproven medical cures/treatments.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Went with the wife to see it.

She read and loved the book. She couldn't take her eyes off the screen during the movie and loved the whole thing.

Zombie movies are something that I'm really not interested in but this wasn't a bad movie by any stretch and was entertaining most of the way through.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  11. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

I read the book a couple times now and loved it overall, but boy am I glad some of the stupid shit from that book didn't make it into this movie. Like Zombies being unaffected by most modern battlefield weapons (50 cals turn humans into ground chuck, Max), or a Battle of Yonkers scenario where armored columns get overrun, and no line of soldiers with .22s calmly head-shotting a slow-moving horde.

I really enjoyed this. I liked the changes from wide-scale to small-scale and back again. The soldiers were all badass and kewl, especially the bald Israeli chick. I'm not sure why Matthew Fox was in this except as bait for the sequel maybe, or he really wanted to be in a zombie movie, but whatev.

I would have made it a hard R, but gore isn't essential for the story this movie told, so no big loss there.

The only people I can recall actively sacrificing themselves for Gerry were US and Israeli SpecForces soldiers who were informed about his mission to find Patient Zero and/or a possible cure.

The zombies moving like an army of ants was pretty cool, actually. When the first trailers came out, I was like Huh? Wha? But it turned out to be pretty cool looking when it happened and gave the zombies a much needed level of threat that, realistically, shambling zombie hordes really don't have.

The moment he gave the wife the phone you knew it was going to ring at the worst possible moment. That was lame. His wife was irritating too. Leave it to the woman to get mugged during the apocalypse (I kid :)) And his kids were so friggin annoying. I thought we'd be stuck with them the whole movie, but thankfully only through act one. I can't stand 99.99% of child actors and these were no exception. Clementine they were not.

They definitely want this to be a series and it comes across as a plausible prequel to the non-lame events described in the book. Presumably, they could then actually use a lot more of the book in future installments as the war rages on.

I give it an A and I'll be getting the DVD. Zombies are sweet!

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Are you sure you read the book several times? Max went into pretty good detail about why the battle of Yonkers turned out the way it did. Most notably, in this universe there were no zombie movies. No one knew that head shots were the only way to kill them. There was also the shortage of ammo, if I recall, due to the numbers of zombies being very under estimated. About the only thing he missed was the fact that concussive forces from the bombs would have turned the zombie brains to mush, destroying them as effectively as a bullet to the head.

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am watching an episode from "Through the Wormhole" with Gordon Freeman. Scientists are discovering that plants have a rudimentary intelligence and awareness of their environment. There is one plant, which is parasitic, that can sense if its victim is healthy or not.

So, it's possible that zombies have developed an intelligence that is different than a traditional intelligence.

(The series is fantastic. I have enjoyed every episode. It's on the Science Network.)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

M. Night Shyamalan saw those goddamn plants coming and tried to warn us, but we wouldn't listen.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So now we gotta watch out for little bald kids who can control the elements?

17. Locutus of Bored

Now that you mention it, maybe the little bald kid who the zombies wouldn't attack wasn't because he had cancer, it's because he's an airbender and he was channeling the zombies around him with the wind.

18. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

That's a strained analogy. There are a 100 trillion cells in the human body. The worst of illnesses isn't going to make the slightest dent in that.

The most important thing for a virus is that the host is susceptible to it and that they're alive.

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

The original ending was going to have Brad Pitt go to Russia where there would be a big battle. He'd also find out that his wife was romantically involved with Matthew Fox's character.

20. Locutus of Bored

Was Matthew Fox cast before or after Damon Lindelof was brought in to rewrite the last act of the film? Because Lindelof might have suggested bringing him onboard, or Fox might have wanted to work with him again.

Whatever it was, surely the explanation could not be that the director or producers just wanted to work with Matthew Fox, because that guy is a charisma abyss.

I kid, I kid. :devil: