Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I'm fine with the DCCU being as dark and gritty as the MCU is light-hearted and colorful as long as the movies are actually good....

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that wouldn't even have happened if it was all one big consistent franchise with a shared universe, aimed in a particular narrative direction. I'm sure Nolan wouldn't want to be involved in something like that because his "creative vision" would suffer.

Kor

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Superman and Wonder Woman are aspirational figures embodying hope and idealism. They shouldn't be as "dark and gritty" as Batman or the Suicide Squad.

WB's television division has figured this out. Arrow is dark and gritty, but its sibling show The Flash is bright and fun and upbeat. Marvel has it figured out too; Daredevil and Jessica Jones are dark and gritty while the movies and Agents of SHIELD take a lighter tone (and The Winter Soldier was quite a dark movie compared to Guardians of the Galaxy). Then there's Torchwood being dark and cynical while Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures were brighter and more upbeat. There's no point in doing a shared-universe, multi-series franchise if all the series are exactly the same in tone and approach.

The only reason all the DC movies are aiming for dark and gritty is because the WB movie executives have not been able to do a successful non-Batman DC movie in the past three decades and so they think the approach of the Nolan Batman films is the only one that can possibly work. And that doesn't reflect a solid creative vision, that reflects not having a clue what they're doing and just trying to copy the one success they've managed to have.

Although, honestly, I have to say that Suicide Squad looks like it's going to be a hell of a lot more fun than the dour Zack Snyder movies, even though it's focused on villains and amoral mercenaries rather than aspirational heroes.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually from all the interviews at the time it's pretty clear that it was Snyder and Nolan who originally wanted to explore the idea of a Superman in a more realistic and grounded world, because they thought it would be interesting and make the character feel more relevant than he has in a while. And that this wasn't something that was just imposed by the studio from on high.

Not to mention the fact that MOS isn't nearly as "dark and gritty" as the Dark Knight movies anyway, and actually does have it's own unique style and tone (whether one happens to like that style or not).

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine they might be trying to tie the Gallipoli Campaign with her origin somehow.

Batman in Name Only!

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

They took the joy out of Superman. :(

Kor

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Trying to apply Batman sensibilities to Superman just doesn't work.

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a great reference, this is true. :lol:

But treating the First World War as unimportant/leftover/inferior to the Second happens quite a bit and not as a joke. Regardless, I do think WWI would make a more interesting setting for Wonder Woman to make her appearance because of the morally grey nature of it.

It occurs to me - sure WWI is less 'iconic' and it's harder to do a straightforward good vs. evil tale, but the enemy (in remembrance) is war itself. If Ares is going to be a major villain, and if the WWI setting is just a flashback, then maybe we could see Diana contributing to the end of the war and having a role in setting up the - apparently - abolition of war itself, seemingly defeating Ares.

Sure it means opening with her mission having ultimately failed... but for a superhero story that's not unusual.

I like it. Talk about showing the horrors of war...

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read through the opening overview of the Gallipoli Campaign and I'm not sure how that connects to WW.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gallipoli was an epic fuck up.

They landed on the wrong beach.

A fortified beach with heavy machine gun batteries and endless reams of barbed wire.

The part of World War One that you probably should be looking at is America vs. Mexico.

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Etta Candy.

13. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terrible, terrible news. :(

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love that image! :adore:

16. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Sith Lord Wonder Woman. Saw that earlier today.

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ Naw, WW is a Jedee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Along with the picture they also announced the rest of the cast. The only other character who has been revealed is Chris Pine as Capt. Steve Trevor, which pretty much everyone already suspected. The rest of the cast is, Robin Wright, Danny Houston, David Thewlis, Ewen Bremner, Said Taghmaoui, Elena Anaya, and Lucy Davis.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

your avatar seems to be from ebay

20. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

^ Huh! You're right. How about that.