NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This months' tribble story is not a re-telling of the Trouble with Tribbles and the Keenser background story will make 3 original stories. So I think that makes 4 re-imaginings and 3 original stories.

The stories are enjoyable enough but I've been underwhelmed too. The best stories so far have been the first part of Vulcans Fury and the Return of the Archons storyline.

The stories are too brief to be engaging and the resolutions are forced to be too simplistic as a result. I don't see how they can change this unless they mix up the two-parters with some four-parters. The current Dr Who series mixes up its stories like and this and with a few exceptions, the longer stories are far better. I keep hoping that the writers will experiment with longer stories and see how they go down but they seem doggedly determined to stick to the current format!

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's another original story on the way in this line that focuses on the average day in the life of a redshirt.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sounds like a pretty short day...

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Indeed. At two issues they have enough time to kill him and flush his body out a torpedo tube.

5. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I hope it's Cupcake.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they've used three recurring redshirts so far, Cupcake, Rand, and Zahra and I'd prefer to see a story developing one of them rather than some new character. I have an obvious bias towards Rand but if the goal is to kill the character at the end then Zahra gets my vote! Cupcake is going to be in the new movie and he's the only one with a defined personality so far so it's probable that it will be him but it would be really nice if they finally got round to developing one of the women a bit more.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, I'm sorry I bothered to darken your day. :scream:

IDW is avoiding too many totally original tales, so as not to trample on the next film, and they were very upfront about those plans from Day #1. The current tribbles story is not a retelling, and just because you aren't interested in Keenser's origin doesn't mean that others aren't.

Sheesh.

The longer format wasn't seeming to be helping the TNG or DS9 comic stories sell in high numbers to the end of an arc, so the experiment with two-parters was a fresh start.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like this short shown on the SyFy channel years ago (when it was Sci-Fi channel, in fact)
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVduvWTxQ5w[/YT]

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest I'm not overly impressed from what I've read of Star Trek Ongoing thus far. I've only read the trade paper back, Volume 2, and I felt that the "Operation: Annihilate" adaptation was rushed. Keeping Kirk's brother alive was an interesting twist that was largely wasted. As for the Vulcan storyline, a very good set up that largely went nowhere. The Vulcan story especially should've been longer. It should've been five or more issues alone. To be positive, I have liked the artwork.

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I think Star Trek Ongoing is fun! The tribble story is a hoot, thus far.

11. Drago-Kazov

I wonder if Scotty will be court matialed.

12. The Wormhole

I doubt it. Court room drama doesn't really seem like exciting ground for an ongoing comic book series. Especially when we know Scotty would be cleared of all charges since he is going to be in the next movie.

13. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

I could not disagree more strongly.

First of all I fail to understand how an ongoing comic book series is any different from a tv series, novel series, or movie series. All three medium have employed the device of a trial of some sort and done it in a way that is "exciting". Star Trek itself is well known for stories that have involved legal proceedings and they are very well regarded indeed.

Secondly while there is no dispute that Scotty is going to be in the next movie that does not dictate that he would be cleared of ALL charges. But even if he were the whys and wherefores of the story behind his court martial and clearance could done properly be very interesting indeed.

Now I can certainly understand if you are actually simply meaning that you would not find such a story interesting or worth reading. But trust me there are some (and perhaps more than some) who would hold quite the opposite opinion.

14. The Wormhole

Well, I don't get how a comic book consisting of 30 pages of people sitting in a court room is going to be enthralling. At least on TV you can have the actors' performances carry the story. Granted, you could always try to have flashbacks to make things interesting, but if Scotty were indeed court martialed over what goes on in thos story, wouldn't flashbacks to a previous comic basically be a clip show? Those are bad enough on TV, a comic would be even worse.

Besides, I get the impression these comics are meant to be more action oriented than character. After all, the character based episodes of TOS haven't been adapted, like The Conscience of the King, City on the Edge of Forever, or even Court Martial.

15. Christopher

I've read my share of trial stories in comics. Heck, Peter David did a whole 3-parter called "The Trial of James T. Kirk" for DC. And Marvel has two superheroes who are also practicing lawyers, Daredevil and She-Hulk. There are a lot of courtroom scenes and subplots in their books.

16. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

The Trial of James T Kirk was fantastic, even if it was 50% fanwank.

Interesting thought about Jen Walters and Matt Murdock: anybody know if they ever went up against each other in a court of law? If not, that would seem like a wasted opportunity...

18. Drago-Kazov

Is he doing it or is it a maybe then?

i would love a movie showing of the mirror universe.

I am really curious about the next "Countdown".

19. Christopher

That seems unlikely, since they're both criminal defense attorneys. I suppose it's possible they could choose to represent opposite sides in a civil case, but on the whole, you'd be more likely to see them working together as co-counsels (particularly since they both tend to specialize in superhero-related cases).

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they worked together? I think I remember reading about them appearing together in a comic, but that doesn't necessarily mean they worked together.