You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than it...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Rock, Sep 12, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than i

How so?

2. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine knowing that Yar is going to be captured, basically raped, and then executed when she tried to escape.

3. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. Also Yar's love interest in Yesterday's Enterprise was kind of sweet, them going off to a heroic death, now it's just a tragedy because I'm guessing he was killed right in front of her.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought that was why Yar married the Romulan, to save the rest of the Enterprise-C survivors?

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The aftermath of Enterprise-C's return to 2344 is discussed in the novel Vulcan's Heart.

Lieutenant Castillo is killed by Romulans for insolence after the ship's survivors are captured.

--Sran

6. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Boooo!!! Hisss!!! {{{throws pop corn at the screen}}}

Worf showing up would have been terrible. Small-Universe syndrome to the extreme. It's technically silly the rest of the Enterprise crew was there given how differently their lives would have been...strike that...given that NONE of them would have existed had history not played out how it did. It's one thing to visit the Mirror Universe where we're specifically going to meet eeeevil versions of the characters, but in a "real life" changed history scenario like war with the Klingons for decades altering the timeline? Forget it.

I mean, remember, we'd all be different if just one other sperm or egg from our parents made us. If our parents even sneezed at the wrong moment another sperm would have fertilized the egg and poof - very different "you." Besides, didn't later Treks run small-universe syndrome into the ground?

No. I say no Worf in "Yesterday's Enterprise"!!! No Worf, No vaccine, and No Lt. Yar!

7. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly, or his father may not have been posted to Khitomer at the time of the attack.

I dont think Worf being in command of a BoP was needed, its got old during DS9, partly because of just how senior he was, I would have preferred to see that Worf to be a hungry captain of a cruiser trying to make his name but thats another topic.

In fact I would have preferred, if a known Klingon needed shoehorning in for it to have been Kurn or Duras, maybe Gowron or even one of the classic series Captains.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^Kurn, Duras, and Gowron hadn't been introduced yet.

The timeline was only changed 22 years in the episode's past...except for Wesley, nobody in the crew shown in the alternate timeline was so young that they wouldn't have been born yet.

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never mind then...

10. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay but would their lives have gone like they had? Sure their genes would be the same but their environments would have been very different. They would have had very different influences in life interacting with their genes, and the circumstances of their time would probably have found different people on the bridge of the Enterprize.

It's also pretty improbable that the E-D **in either timeline** would have just so happened to be there as the anomaly deposited the E-C into the future BTW. I mean, given all of time and space that the E-C could have shifted to, it's astounding that it showed up anywhere near anything at all (a starship, planet, a star), and especially improbable that it would appear to it's own successor starship, which in both timelines (prime and warring) just so happened to be at the same exact time/place.

I guess the more you think about it, the more improbable the whole scenario is, but at least it didn't include eeeeevil Captain Worf at the end! :P

For that, they should have done a Mirror Universe episode! ...Although there the Klingons would have been amiable explorers and the Terrans ill-tempered warriors!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I have a pet theory when it comes to things like this or the Mirror Universe. Given the infinite possibilities when it comes to parallel universes and alternate timelines, the "barriers" that separate these realities are weakest where there are strong points of coincidence...such as the same ship with mostly the same crew being in exactly the same place. In "Mirror, Mirror", the "ion storm" that caused the weakening of the interdimensonal barriers may have itself been caused by the extreme coincidence of such similar crews being in the same place performing parallel missions.

12. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ Interesting theory! I guess something along the lines like "opposites attract" or "+" attracts "-"?

@ Arpy

I concur with your observations. Looks like fate or the cosmic consciousness showed its hand here (in Hollywood usually worshipped as "the screenplay"). ;)

Bob

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there IS that one line of dialogue at the end:

"Federation ship Enterprise: surrender and prepare to be boarded."

Spoken by a Klingon on one of the two remaining ships. I always thought it would be cool if just the VOICE would have been Worf; however I agree that the story flow would have been interrupted by everyone going "Hey, that's WORF!" where they ought to be immersed in the plight of the about-to-be destroyed Enterprise-D.

What *I* would have liked is that JUST before the shot of the E-C entering the rift, that last shot of the BoPs blasting away would result in the E-D exploding - LaForge had announced a warp core breach about that long beforehand, and I'd have liked to see that happen.

In my fantasy storyboards of a CGI re-do of that battle to the same soundtrack and dialogue mix, the E-D would be featured exploding in the background as the E-C entered the rift, with the audience seeing the explosion "over the shoulder" of the E-C as she advanced into the anomaly. The things we could've seen if CGI were twenty years more advanced..

Mark

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I would have said.

Personally, what would have made the episode 10 times better for me is if they had gone out a bit more on the choreography of the space battle between the Klingons and the Enterprise.

For most of TNG we get the same "2 ships stand completely still and shoot 1 phaser beam or 1 torpedo at a time at each other"

The remastered version had a chance to give us a real space fight, but alas, they dropped the ball :(

15. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

I totally heard that in Lutan's voice in my head :D Best line of that episode :D

16. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you want to make it better remove Captian and 1st Officer and insert Kirk and Spock. (The suits were hot to kill off Kirk anyway.) You could throw in the other regulars and viola. If nothing else it would be a better death than Kirk got anyway...not to mention an end befitting an action hero and his crew.

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

Goddammit, NO. Worf basically ate TNG as it was, and later did the same to DS9. I'm just glad they never figured out a way to have him pop up on Voyager and eat that show, too.

Every time there is less Worf (except for the occasional funny one-liner), the episode is improved.

18. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yesterday's Enterprise would've been better if the romantic plot between Yar and Castillo had been removed or at least toned down. They had no fizzle, no pop. And we all know that's why she went on the E-C. An empty death in a timeline that no longer exists is not a reason. It was fun, but had too many large truck-sized plotholes.

19. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think thats a great idea!

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed, just put the right amount of static on the voice so it doesn't *immediately* sound like Worf. Make the audience think about it for a few seconds first.

Side note: This is why I still, to this day, think that the one line in ST:FC "Acknowledged" (when the fleet admiral hails the Defiant and the Bozeman during the battle scene) is actually spoken by Worf rather than Captain Bateson.