Trailer for Ang Lee's Life of Pi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It's one of my favourite books. I wasn't sure if or how a movie would work but I saw the trailer in front of The Amazing Spider-man and it looked amazing, particularly in 3-D. Looking forward to it.

2. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel is one of my favorite novels, and I was wondering if it could ever be made into a film. There was talk that M. Night Shyamalan was going to do it some time ago, then that evaporated. Then I hadn't heard anything about it now all of a sudden it's made and coming out in November. :)

I only hope it does the book justice. The trailer looks gorgeous, but so much of the story is internal and ultimately left to the interpretation of the reader. I hope they don't just lay it all out there as a plot-driven action-adventure narrative.

My only disconnect with the trailer is that I always read Pi as being younger than he appears to be in the film.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I don't read novels, strictly a non-fiction guy, but I love science fiction/fantasy films. This looks good although I am not quite sure what it is about.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Pi is between 14-16 in the book, but given Hollywood's propensity to cast older actors in roles like this, we shouldn't be surprised. In the Hunger Games, Jennifer Lawrence is 21 but Katniss is supposed to be 16 as well.

Essentially, they lay it all out in the trailer without giving away too many plot details: Pi is a young Indian boy who is moving to Canada with his family (who own a zoo) aboard a Japanese freighter. There is a terrible shipwreck, and everyone aboard dies. Pi is able to get into a lifeboat, but a few of the zoo animals also make it into the lifeboat, including a Bengal tiger. The story is about Pi's journey across the Pacific. As with most Fantasy, the journey is an adventure.

5. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I figure they just don't want anyone to think this is a kids' movie, and want to keep the demographics skewed a bit higher. But...

I feel that the impact of the happenings of the story, in particular the emotional wreckage postulated at the end of the book and left open to reader interpretation, is so much more poignant and believable if he is a bit younger. IMO, an adult is more capable of living through such events and resorting to the alleged acts and not falling into a fantasy world to cope.

6. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw this tonight, and oh my word, what an incredible movie. Ang Lee has possibly created his crowning achievement. The cinematography is breathtaking, as are the visuals. But the way the story is handled is most important, and he deftly handled it, and there's a lof of depth there. Very compelling. I could easily see this be an Oscar contender, it's that good. This is my movie of the year.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012