PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The black nanomachines appeared to take apart and reassemble the Engineer's DNA to form the code for primitive life forms. One problem was that these machines appeared to be quite a bit smaller than the phosphate groups. Non-Darwinian as you say and also probably not realistic Physics.

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it at an IMAX theater which greatly enhanced the visual experience.

3. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the xenomorph is a side effect of hybridization with the engineers. What it does potentially do is set up another alien sequel If Weyland-Yutani goes back to LV-223.

4. DarthTom

One thing that is interesting throughout all of the Alien series is the androids are morally dubious characters at best. It was interesting that Scott portrayed David as he was which if I understood correctly only loyal to Weyland?

5. DarthTom

One question though that really isn't explained in the film. The opening sequence leads us to believe that the engineers came here and left permanently. However, the cave drawings and the similar ancient architecture leads us to believe they continued to visit for sometime as humanity 'grows up.'

So, why would they want to destroy their own creation as they watched over us presumably over thousands of years?

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Perhaps they felt we were getting too dangerous. They saw us developing and evolving beyond our original intent. They likely feared that we would become a star-faring race, encounter them and destroy them. Not entirely a concern without merit. Haven't seen the movie yet, myself, but that would be my guess

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But they only seen a couple of humans in the movie. Not much to base a judgement on...

8. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Unless they 'saw' enough 2,000 years ago...

9. DarthTom

As an aside:

Eric von Däniken who wrote Chariots of the Gods and the rest of people involved with the History channel TV show Ancient Aliens must be simply thrilled with this movie.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

It's just "a" movie.

Here's an interview Ridley Scott gave a few days ago

and here are some musings concerning the movie.

Whether you (collective you) like that or not to me is irrelevant, but the simple fact that a movie divides so many people and makes way for that kind of talk is simply amazing.

11. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

In myth, Prometheus makes man from clay, sides with the gods against the titans, and steals fire from the gods and gives it to man, only to be condemned for it. So, I suppose the "Prometheus" we see at the beginning of the film is part of one faction of engineers that creates and guides human life, against the will or law of their race, while the ones we see at the end of the film are part of another faction seeking to destroy their works. Their enemies. If the "good engineers" gave us fire, that is technology 2000 years ago, perhaps the "evil engineers" are out to destroy the perceived threat of us. Or maybe to them, all or them, Earth was just a petri dish that served its purpose, and now goes to decon.

Just a guess.

Oh, and A-. It was great.

12. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

I gave it an A. I enjoyed it immensely. I'm just hoping that it makes enough to warrant a sequel. I don't feel real good about that happening though...I just don't know if the money will be there in the studios eyes.

13. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know about you, but when I'm afraid of something I don't normally leave a map behind pointing out where I am.

14. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I would think so, It's made 50 million in the U.S. this weekend, which is very good for an R-rated film.

I just hope some sort of plan for filming the sequel for this was thought out ahead of time, and that Scott doesn't become distracted by his other film projects.

15. DarthTom

That is a reasonable explanation. And I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.

Regarding box office totals the film brought in $50 million in the US.

And, worldwide its brought in $141 million

It cost Fox and estimated $130 million to make the film and as pointed out 1/2 the cost The Avengers did.

However, Avengers is up to over $1 billion in box office receipts worldwide so at this point Prometheus has just barely paid for itself.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

We were probably still in their favor when the cave drawings/maps were created. We apparently became persona-non-grate only about 2000 years ago, long after we moved out of the caves.

17. DarthTom

Tell that to the Ancient Aliens believers. They take their "theories," very seriously. ;)

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I get the feeling that these races (human) were seeded for the xenomorphs for some reason. Probably as a way to push their evolution beyond where it was currently at. They merge with the humans then they get different variations.

I don't know. Just trying to feel out what the movie was really trying to say. But a weapons depot doesn't make a lot of sense.

19. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be. I chalk it up to the guy being inexperienced and rather stupid. Weyland clearly didn't pick the best and the brightest for this mission.

However, the same logic could be applied to Kane in the first film. Why would he approach something that resembles an alien egg with signs of movement inside. Why not get everybody else down before examining them. Then when it pops open and makes an ominous hissing sound, he leans in closer and sticks his face right over the thing!

This film is very polarizing among scifi fans, and not in the SW prequel way where 95% realize the films are bad. Opinions seem to be either in praise of the film, or condemnation and offense that the film exists.

Spoony, who I often agree with when it comes to movies, hated Prometheus and basically characterized it as the dumbest, most offensive cinematic experience in existence. However, from the comments it appears that many of his complaints were due to him not really paying attention to the film.

I really enjoyed Prometheus. It did have it's share of scifi/horror cliches, but people aren't remembering that the first alien had it's share of cliches. The spring loaded cat, anyone?

What I find most confusing is people lauding Alien for it's likable characters while condemning Prometheus for having unlikable ones. In the first film, the characters were extremely unlikable! We were basically watching seven people who have spent so much time together that they can't stand each other go about their boring daily routines. The characters had zero backstory because they all either knew each other so well they didn't have to discuss themselves, or they mistrusted each other too much to share personal information.

I realize Scott created this setup for the express purpose of building tension by contrasting the boring, routine scenes with the horror of their situation. People who act as if the characters from the first film were in any way interesting or compelling are viewing the film through rose colored glasses, as it is clear to me that the characters are purposefully shown as uninteresting and not compelling so we can relate to the horror they go through.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Either that or they never intended us to know their location, and the knowledge was just hard-wired into our DNA somehow.