The Newsroom.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Jun 25, 2012.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

God, I can't stand Jeff Daniels as an actor. He is hugely bland and has no charisma. How did he get this role?

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That's pretty cool.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do you define "socially progressive"? If you mean "live and let live," you just described a libertarian. If you define "socially progressive" to mean using the power of the government to advance "progressive" social issues then you've probably described a "moderate" republican.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Somewhere in between it seemed to me. Of course, being for "small government" is a claim with many factors and varying definitions.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The people define the politician not the other way around.

If ten thousand proximate people think the same enough they will spontaneously generate a political avatar.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Starts in the UK on the 10th July.

7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Maureen Ryan hates it

That means I won't watch the show, in the past I agreed with almost every opinion she had regarding tv shows, if she doesn't like a show it's not for me.

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

So, no comments on the second episode? That bad? I read the review that said that the three episodes following the pilot are bad so I expected this episode to be bad but I liked it, even though the mail gag was a bit too predictable. I still laughed, though. The episode had some good moments and it was knit pretty tightly. We got more character backstory and we saw them totally blow a show which was both painful and hilarious to watch.

9. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Indeed. I honestly felt that, aside from h email gag, it felt much less forced and rushed than the pilot. I thought he introduction of Olivia Munn's charecter was well done. I loved Will referencing her as "Victoria's Secret". Maggie's confession to will that it was her screwup and his response, as well as her drunken meltdown in th post show bar gathering were also great. Overall I still gotta say I like he show, and hate that I have to wait a week till th next eps.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The episode was good but I really didn't like the email gag. Also there were some dialogue snippets that felt like they were taken straight out of The West Wing that took me out of the episode. Not so much the actual content but the way the interaction between two characters worked.

That being said I'm still thoroughly enjoying the show.

11. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I found the pilot a bit condescending and i doubt it will find an UK audience. The notion of news and journalism is somewhat different here in the UK. Less hyperbolic perhaps. I don't know. I think with the institution of BBC News very much informing the way UK understand news in general - i have a feeling The Newsroom might not catch on.

12. Guy Gardener

The show makes Americans look like idiots, because Sorkin has created a universe where most Americans are idiots that need these few exceptional people to train them not to be fuckups, which makes the rest of the world, in the real world, feel better about themselves because they're not Americans, either real Americans, or Sorkin's pretend Americans. I mean for sure, Sorkin is saying "look out world, you may be better than us now but I have faith in the future that we will up and be greatest country in the world again but... "

Who cares about tomorrow, the future is now buddy.

By the way.

Which country is the greatest country in the World?

I like love stories from left field.

Next week, Dev Patel and Emily Mortimor should wake up in bed together during the starting credits.

13. Guy Gardener

Have you seen many TV Shows?

14. Venardhi

She sobered up pretty quick once she started her monologue.

Here is what I think the problem with this show is: No matter how important they make everything seem, if they stick with the real life headlines they are by definition never going to make any notable difference because they are basically just historical fiction. The only way to make the formula work is to make the show focus on the characters instead of whatever plot they're tied up in that week or season.

15. Guy Gardener

Well is that what the news is supposed to do?

What I find annoying is their magical personal connections with stories.

Last week Jim's sources, this week Maggie's pre interview vetter.

The world is not this small.

16. Venardhi

Coincidence happens more often than not in my experience. I've run into childhood friends on vacation in states neither of us had ever been to before. I've moved twice and ended up 500 miles away with the same neighbor I had in the first apartment. I've had a pitch meeting where the guy I was pitching to was the ex boyfriend of the girl I was currently dating. I've had good friends from completely different social groups meet unbeknownst to me and get married. I wrote and illustrated a short picture-book as a gift for the birth of a friend's first child that he made a copy of and sent to a publisher where another friend he didn't know was interning at the time. I've seen a shirtless picture of myself used in a banner ad on the internet.

I'm sure there are dozens more, and I imagine most people have similar stories they could tell.

17. Guy Gardener

Coincidences in real life are magical.

Coincidences in fiction are illusions.

18. Venardhi

I would think that having a wide network would be a huge benefit as a journalist. When you get down to it, most plot points in any given show or movie are entirely based around a series of coincidences. Most of life is really.

19. Guy Gardener

Sure.

I believe you.

But if they do it again next week?

And the week after that?

20. Venardhi

Sure, for dramatic effect, the coincidences should be different each week.