How IRON MAN 2 ruined Jon Favreau's relationship with Marvel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep it was what started that sequence.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They weren't random. They were Hammer's security guards. Did someone not see this movie?:p

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, if we keep saying bad things about Iron Man 2, Kevin Feige is going to ban us from going to see the rest of Marvel's movies. :p

4. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

I am in complete agreement with you and JacksonArcher, Captain Craig.

5. Admiral_Young

I'm wondering where that poster is who said we're not talking about Iron Man 2 enough.

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting point. I also heard the deal Scarlett Johannsen signed to appear in all those movies were terrible.

The funny part was the Marvel Universe elements in Iron Man 2 was some of the stuff I liked the best. I can totally agree that Iron Man 2 was rushed into production though. The second film was released less than two years after the first movie. That's a short amount of time for a sequel. Maybe that contributed to the film's suckatude.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not quite sure time has necessarily anything to do with it so much as being allowed to tell a good story without inference. You've hired good filmmakers, now let them do their job and tell their story.

For example, Sam Raimi made Spider-Man 2 only two years after the first Spider-Man and he was allowed to make the film he wanted to make. Spider-Man 3 was released three years after the second film but had a lot of studio and producer inference which led to a compromised quality.

While Favreau did voice concerns that he would be unable to make Iron Man 2 in the timetable that Marvel wanted, I think had he been allowed to make the film uninhibited he could have made a better film. Then again, that was probably only one factor in many that contributed to the lackluster quality of Iron Man 2.

8. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, people saying ScarJo got a shitty multi picture deal make me laugh.

What...did she only get a couple million to appear in several of the coolest movies ever? Oh, boo fucking hoo. :lol:

Perspective...it's not like she's integral to the success of these movies, so I'm sure she's getting paid quite well. Like, more than I'll see in my life.

9. Admiral_Young

Honestly I couldn't care less what kind of deals these people get as long as they perform and deliver a good movie. It's not like they're not already making millions from other projects they're working on.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm confused... when IM2 first came out I thought everybody was gushing over it. But everyone here seems to be negative about it now.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't they do that in the first movie?

12. Admiral_Young

I gave a negative review for Iron Man 2 in the discussion thread...while I enjoyed parts of it overall it was a disappointment so it's not like I'm stating stuff I haven't said before. That being said I will still pick up the DVD but only because there's Favs commentary on it.

13. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Try starting an Avatar thread.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I quick look back at the IM:2 Review/Discussion thread shows that roughly 79% of those voting on the BBS rated the movie either Excellent or Above Average. So, yeah most people(some people like these things to back consensus) liked it but as is normal sometimes a passionate chorus of those shouting it down can seem like a majority.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it okay - I didn't mind the multiple, convoluted plot threads and the Avengers tidbits. I expect it to be part of a larger story. The Black Widow should have been played by an actress more like Hillary Swank; ScarJo is too simplistic for the role.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure what Hillary Swank would've brought to the role. It wouldn't have changed how superficial and unnecessary Black Widow was.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Black Widow should have been younger and tighter-bodied than Pepper, so that when Tony finally chooses her, it's for her personality, rather than how she looks in a pencil skirt. (Not that she'd look at all bad in one, but, hey, it's the movies.)

18. Admiral_Young

Yeah I'm not sure how Hilary Swank would change the role except costing Marvel Studios more money :) I still think Emily Blunt was the perfect first choice to play Natasha, too bad she had to drop out.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I am disappointed that Black Widow didn't speak in a "moose and squirrel" Russian accent, though. Also I thought she was gonna be a bad guy (Russian undercover spy? Movie's bad guy is Russian?) and then defect to the good guys for love of Tony or something. Didn't she defect from Russia because she fell in love with Hawkeye in the comics?

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Natasha is a spy, so she shouldn't speak with an accent. This was mentioned in the comics once, I believe.