Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Was he, at first, supposed to be the same guy as Alby in S2? I didn't think so but IMDb says his name was Alby in one episode (The original Alby was Joe Mantell, who also played an "assistant private eye" in Chinatown and delivered the famous closing line). Didn't Mannix destroy Stanley Adams's car on a case and kind of just blow it off, like "oh well, tough luck"?

I have been watching S2 Mannix on H&I and it is like Trek guest star hog heaven. Joe D'Agosta as casting director may have had something to do with it. Jason Evers, a Stewart Moss-Jay Robinson twofer, Jill Ireland-Sabrina Scharf, Kathryn Hays... it's almost surprising when one doesn't turn up.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, and Mannix were the three successful products of Herb Solow's project to get Desilu back into drama production. So it's pretty natural that they'd have commonalities in cast, production staff, use of backlots and props, etc.

3. J.T.B.

Right, this stretch of episodes has just seemed particularly TOS-heavy.

There's also a S1 episode of Mannix ("The Many Deaths of St. Christopher") with a George Duning score which is largely the same as the one in "Metamorphosis." He must have been working on both of them around the same time.

The Brady Bunch house set in a nearby Paramount/former Desilu stage makes a few guest appearances in later seasons, too.

4. Christopher

Ooh, interesting. I should check the show out sometime.

It was in a Mission: Impossible episode once as well, in season 5, I think. (And there was an M:I episode set on the Stalag 13 backlot from Hogan's Heroes, as well as a lot of other Culver City backlot locations before the Paramount merger.)

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was called "Chip" in this one. So I guess Mannix had a bunch of second banannas. :)

6. Forbin

I should have mentioned that It Takes a Thief episode was directed by Marc Daniels, and produced by Gene L. Coon! Those guys get around too.

7. Christopher Miles

Christopher Miles Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Am posting for coincidence only (or a drinking game as this Thief ep seems SO Trek related)

Brock Peters is right there at the episode open (about 00:55 in)- It's on Hulu should anyone wanna check it out themselves.

I know Peters wasn't in TOS, but was in the TOS movies, and DS9.

---

Interesting that Takai looks younger to me here than he does on TOS. Perhaps it's a young man in a suit thing, I dunno.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

DECADES is showing an episode of Route 66 with Alfred Ryder, Frank Overton, and Roger C. Carmel...throw in non-Trek guest Ed Asner for good measure

9. Christopher

Ed Asner would've made a good TNG-era Klingon. Heck, his Gargoyles character Hudson looked kinda like a Klingon.

10. Forbin

It Takes a Thief, "Guess Who's Coming to Rio?"
    The adorableness of Teri Garr, the beauty of Arlene Martel, and the baldness of Michael Ansara.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. J.T.B.

^ That's great. I can never see too much Teri Garr.

A few from Gunsmoke, all 1957:

A dandied-up Warren Stevens in "Kitty Lost":
    [​IMG]

William Schallert as a feuding hillbilly in "Twelfth Night":
    [​IMG]

Kathie Browne not feeling well in "Cows and Cribs":
    [​IMG]

12. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

To add to the Naked City list: The ep shown last Sunday on MeTV had as its lead guest star, Charlie himself, Robert Walker Jr, as an Actors Studio type taking it a bit too far. other non-Trek types were Barbara (Mrs. Barney Miller) Barrie, and as a lunch room counterman, who gets talked about, but has no lines, is Martin Sheen.

The week before, they had as a partially blind kid who wanders from midtown Manhattan to his home in Brooklyn, Mr. Bam Bam himself, John Megna...

13. Christopher

AKA Dill from To Kill a Mockingbird. Which also featured Brock Peters, Frank Overton, Paul Fix, and William Windom.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I see Robert Walker, Jr. all over the place...The War Wagon with John Wayne, Easy Rider....

15. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I just watched Marianna Hill get raped at the beginning of High Plains Drifter. That was weird. I had forgotten that scene, holy cow.

16. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Room 222 was awesome. At least to my then-young self.

17. J.T.B.

The scene was hard for me to forget, but it was a long time before I put it together it was Marianna Hill. She used to throw me off as a blonde.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I always hoped that when I got to high school the teachers would be like Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine. Also, it had would-be TOS regular Lloyd Haynes.

And now... a few from Maverick:

Fifteen year old Sherry Jackson in "The Naked Gallows," 1957:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joan Marshall in "Rope of Cards," 1958 (also of interest to me because it had two of the Ben Weavers from "Andy Griffith," Will Wright and Tol Avery):
    [​IMG]

Ken Lynch in "Brasada Spur," 1959:
    [​IMG]

18. Forbin

Mannix's last season comes through again with Madlyn Rhue as a mob boss's wife (who also happens to be an old freind).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

She was also Belladonna to Michael Dunn's Dr. Miguelito Loveless of "Wild Wild West." Both ST TOS guests.

20. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Last weekend a new channel specializing in old horror and sci-finmovies called 'Comet TV' was launched. Currently showing a double feature of 'Blackula' and 'Scream, Blackula, Scream' with the late William Marshall in the title role; as well as Elisha Cook as the morgue attendant in the first movie.