What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I started playing Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon a few days ago.. Oh man, the game is hilarious. :D

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just beat Max Payne 2, these games have been short but sweet, roughly ten hours each. The Havok physics definitely makes an impact with the ragdoll physics, particle effects and object interaction. It seemed like everything could be bumped and knocked over.

Perhaps it was novelty but the bullet time seemed better the first time. It felt like there was an endless pool in Max 2 while in the first one you had to use it more sparingly which in turn made it cooler. It might have even better choreographed in the original as well.

Graphically though the highlight is definitely the funhouse with the moving shooting gallery-style 2D cut-outs. It's just a very cool level.

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Absolutely! :)
    This game is a great send up of 80's cheese action movies and hokey dialogue. Michael Biehn did a great job with this in his voice acting. :)

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Minecraft 1.8. I've been doing lots and lots of mining to get hold of lots of the new stone types.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

1.8 is out? or are you Beta'ing it?

Anyway, mostly catching up on FPS's on the PS3, got Borderlands the Pre-sequel and CoD: Advanced Warfare pre-ordered now.

6. Zulu Romeo

Not a snapshot, no. It's the newest full version, out only this last week or so. It has granite. And rabbits. :D

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I've updated, started a new world with diamond and iron set pretty high. But I spawned in a massive ice world, nothing else in it.

Hmm, set Biomes to 2 instead of 4, thought that meant it was smaller.

8. Zulu Romeo

I created a custom world, and decided to increase the lava lake factor up a bit. Started off in a desert/savannah area with a big river of lava running right through it all, complete with a small island in the middle of a lava lake.

I might build a granite castle on that island. :D

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nice :)

I started a second one to test it out, started out at the bottom of a world of only ocean, for some reason, despite Biome set to "all".

Well I've got a nice base camp in the ice world, got to the nether and grabbed netherrack for fire.

10. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Usually Skyrim. Since I'm out of town at the moment I'm playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. Love this game!

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I started Rain earlier today and I just finished it. What an awesome little game.

12. martok2112

Playing Infamous: Second Son. Love the humor in this game....had me in stitches at times. Also enjoying the side story game of Infamous: First Light, featuring Delsin's ally, Fetch, as the main character. Has a couple of funny moments as well, so far. Both games I have on PS4.

Eagerly awaiting Destiny next week, and just under a month after that....Alien: Isolation. :). Both for PS4

13. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

Lately I'm playing old DOS games like Commander KEEN.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes! I loves me some Commander Keen! I'm pretty sure Id and Apogee fueled my formative years. :D

Right now I'm playing Hot Shots Golf Fore!, which is a lot of fun.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished the Max Payne cycle with Max Payne 3. Game makes a lousy first impression, what with having to connect to Rockstar DRM...er, Social Club to play. Then the cut scenes are unbearable, it feels like a JRPG where you can't move two steps without triggering a random battle, except here it's a cut scene.

The weapon selection system is bizarre at first, you pick up a shotgun and carry it in your left hand OK. So then you go through the number keys to pick it and then you are dual wielding pistols and the shotgun falls to the ground. It makes sense after a while but it's jarring coming off the old games.

And then to top it all off 40% through the game I'm no longer able to continue. I think I may have new or something but I don't know. Not the best start! The joys of autosaving checkpoints!

I about uninstalled it at that point (23GB download by the way...) but gave it another shot. Luckily it picks up at that point and starts to click. Once Max has his Walter White moment they have me hooked.

The new Max Payne has a lot of modern DNA, cover mechanics, you can only carry a couple of weapons, and so on. Like I say about half way through it starts to click and becomes pretty decent. One thing I like are the environments, there's some real variety and interesting settings. The highlight has to be the Sao Paulo slums which are just amazingly detailed and rich. Hell, that level alone is worth the price of admission to me especially now that it can be had for a pittance at a Steam sale. James McCaffrey returns as the voice of Max and does a really good job, much better than the first two in my opinion (maybe not needing to be so "noir").

I'm behind on modern shooters which have a different pace to the older ones. I found medium settings to provide a pretty good challenge. The game's pretty relentless with moving forward. If you're not watching a cut scene something is probably shooting at you, you're not here to explore. Though most of the objects are no longer interactive there is a bar pool table that is crazily rendered, not only can you shoot the balls into the pockets but you can see them go into the ball return.

Geez, longer than I thought!
    tl;dr Worth playing but has rough start

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Not much at the moment, too much time spent working. I wish my job involved playing video games.

No wait, I already played WoW.

17. martok2112

Yeah, the modern shooter really reigned in things like the number of weapons you can carry. In Doom/Doom II/Duke Nukem 3D, you were carrying up to several heavy weapons at once. (wow....we wuz some strong mofo's back in the day). Games like Halo and inward rolled it back to a sensible two or three. Doom 3 got us back into the "let's carry enough firepower to arm a small army" mode....and hopefully Doom 4 will continue that. I thought the game that handled that the most logically (no pun intended) was the Star Trek Elite Force games, with the pattern buffer that your character wore at his side. That explained how you could carry multiple weapons for that universe in a plausible, in story way. :)

18. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I started playing PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale last night. I like it so far.

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I love how obscure the "iconic" PlayStation "All-Stars" are. What a weird, jumbly mess of a fighting game lineup.

That's not a slight against the PlayStation platform of course. Iconic characters just aren't Sony's strength. Mad props to them for including Parappa though. :mallory:

20. martok2112

I just beat Infamous Second Son and Infamous First Light (PS4). Enjoyed both of them.

Am now thoroughly enjoying Destiny on the PS4. :)