What episodes of TNG should I watch before First Contact?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Nibbz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

Nearly finishing up with TOS movies and would like to continue onward to TNG movies. Just wondering what episodes I should watch to get enough backstory to understand and appreciate First Contact to the fullest. Thanks.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Q Who

Best of Both Worlds
    Best of Both Worlds part 2

You should eventually check out the rest of TNG since it is a very good show.

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just these. I was going to add the other Borg episodes but they'd actually be detrimental to your viewing as you'd be wondering why the Federation are suddenly concerned about sending Picard to fight the Borg when they've already ordered him to post-Best of Both Worlds.

Or where Picard's weird obsession and grudge has come from when in the previous Borg encounter he barely acknowledged they were even there.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess you could throw I, Borg in there, but it's not essential.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You should also watch Family. As well as being a great follow up to BoBW, it's backstory for Generations. And then you should watch Datalore, Brothers and Descent 1 & 2 so that the Data stuff has context.

Really you should just watch all of TNG. ;)

6. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

Speaking of Generations, which episodes should I watch before that?

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's nothing you can watch that will prepare you for Generations :p. Up until 2009, it was the worst Star Trek movie.

Seriously though, you don't need to have seen any TNG before it really. It's self-contained unlike First Contact which has a backstory.

8. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Family - Picard
    Q Who - Guinan and El-Aurians
    Descent Part 1 and 2
    Brothers
    Datalore
    Silicone Avatar
    The Mind's Eye

Each of those will prep nicely for GEN.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

All TNG movies with the exception of First Contact felt like they were made for newcomers who never saw the show.. First Contact was the only TNG movie that became better if you knew the backstory.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

And after you watch First Contact, check out an episode of Enterprise in season 2 named "Regeneration".

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would also include Family and The Drumhead to Dream's list. Both show the effects and denial Picard went through leading up to the movie.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Threshold.

After watching it you won't even notice the plot holes in First Contact. :lol:

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, all you really need is "The Best of Both Worlds," both parts.

Everything else is supplemental, like reading the sidenotes in the Annotated Shakespeare or whatever. Interesting, if you want to explore the text in more depth, but not essential if you just want to watch "Romeo & Juliet."

14. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

I agree, except that I really think you should include "Family" with "BOBW," because they really do create a trilogy, and "Family" establishes the emotional context Picard has about the Borg going into First Contact.

But yeah, everything else is supplemental, I agree.

15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might want to check out Redemption 1&2 for an introduction to Lursa & B'Etor

16. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

I mean this facetiously (for the most part), but you don't really need to know anything about Lursa and B'Etor other than that they are Evil Klingons Who Want To Destroy The Enterpriseā„¢. I mean, yes, TPTB deserve credit for using previously established villains, but their choice in that respect leaves something to be desired in my opinion.

But, yeah, "Redemption" is a great two-parter, so you should watch it anyway. :)
    (And it is a thoughtful suggestion in any case. :))

Honestly, I think a better use of "background episode" time would be to watch something that introduces you to Guinan and her Intuition. I think "Yesterday's Enterprise" would be good introduction in that sense. (And it's a killer episode in any case.) Understanding her character as she appeared in the series makes her role in this story more poignant, I think.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can literally substitute any generic villain for those two in Generations and it wouldn't effect the film in any way. You wouldn't even have to change any of their lines.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Also maybe "Family," for relevant bits of Picard's background.

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Soran struck Tomalak across the face, sending the Romulan reeling.

He looked back up, touching his mouth where green blood was beginning to flow. Tomalak met Soran's eyes and saw the anger in them. "I hope, for your sake," the Romulan said, "that you are initiating a mating ritual..."

Maybe not ALL of the lines can stay unchanged...

20. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the spirit of that "Most unjustly hated ep thread"

I loved Generations. The opening part is fantastic, I loved the soundtrack. Thought Stewart's acting in relation to what happens to his family was awesome.

Everything else was 'ok'. But I loved those parts.

"My God...was anyone in here?"
    "aye."

edit: You don't have to defend your hatred with a long list. I understand why peeps didn't like it.