New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes, because I'm the only one who actually likes stories involving characters they like, not characters that steal names of existing characters. :rolleyes:

I was done with the conversation before, but I let myself get dragged back in. I'm done with it now. I made my opinion clear. Now, back to talking about Rebels.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Make it six years for me. I didn't believe Vader's claim of being Luke's father until Obi-Wan's ghost confirmed it in ROTJ. I just figured he'd lied to screw with Luke. I think I may have inadvertently spoiled a passerby or two while arguing with my family about it on the way out of the theater after seeing TESB.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

You and Homer Simpson...jerks!

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first showed my daughter the trilogy she thought Vader was lying.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    So did James Earl Jones. It wasn't until Jedi went into production that he realized Vader wasn't lying to Luke.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't disagree, but in this instance there isn't really much of a reason to make any *massive* departures from her established backstory and basic core characteristics. Indeed, AFAIK most of her early life is still pretty sketchy, so if anything they'll be filling in the blanks.

Just off the top of my head: maybe she's the daughter of two fugitive Jedi, conceived and born on the run before being ripped from their cold dead arms by Vader himself. Maybe she was a baby at the temple during Order 66, spared the fate of the older padawans under Palpatine's direct orders. Or maybe she was a sensitive identified in a routine sweep.

There's plenty of room for creative invention and embellishment that need not change who the character is. Keeping 'Superman' as a point of comparison: while there have been a number of retelling of his origin over the years, each with it's own spin, the basic story remain the same. He's always (in theory) the last survivor of Krypton, which blew up and was sent to earth and raised in Kansas by the Kents. Whether he was actually born on Krypton or birthed in some genetic matrix thing on the ship or what decade he landed in Kansas never changed who he was at the core.

Anyway, getting back to Jade, while a lot of her backstory should at least be respected, what happens to her post RotJ is of course fair game.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I'm not the only one! :)

Then again the movies were so more intense when I was a kid. I still remember my hairs standing on end when Vader lit Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ.

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The big question for many of us who were waiting between '80 and '83 was whether or not Vader was lying.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

In regards to Mara Jade; if she does appear, I feel pretty confident she'd be a worthwhile character and they'd do right by her in general. I mean, consider this creative team gave us Asohka Tano, Elisa Maza, and Demona.

11. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rebels premieres Friday Oct. 3 @ 9:00 pm on Disney Channel with an hour-long episode, then moves to Disney XD for its regular timeslot of 9:00 pm Mondays on Oct. 13.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hunh. They originally said they would air the pilot early and then the rest of the season months later.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they do say it'll be available Sept 29 to Disney VOD users... which of course means that it will leak online shortly thereafter for everyone else who wants to see it. :)

14. cooleddie74

Well, no matter which schedule they're using I'm not a Disney XD subscriber and not getting a more expensive channel package just for one new series. I'll catch the premiere on the regular Disney Channel and then watch the rest of the series online.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's good, my virus protection software could use a workout! :rommie:

16. cooleddie74

As if posting in the Trek BBS the past week or two hasn't been enough of a workout for some of us. :lol:

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. Although I'll wait until it's on Blu-Ray or legally streaming on Netflix, Amazon and/or Hulu.

18. cooleddie74

Many brand new episodes of The Clone Wars were posted to YouTube right after they aired and many of them remained online without being pulled. There are usually options that don't require waiting until a series is on home video, but nothing I or others would classify as shady or illegal. Official Disney web pages might even offer new episodes for viewing.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

20. cooleddie74

I'm definitely becoming more excited about it. I just saw my very first Kanan Jarrus toy earlier today at Walmart: a 20-inch figure made by Jakks Pacific. The first Rebels toys and other merchandise are surfacing at retail, including a 20-inch Jakks Pacific TIE Fighter Pilot based on the visual design of the new series that looks very cool.