2013 Star Trek HOT WHEELS - Excelsior, Kelvin, Vengeance, BoP

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tribble puncher, Feb 15, 2013.

1. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Alright, only asked because I've got a non mint one that I'm willing to part ways with.

2. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

This, though. A million times this. I hate to admit it but when I'm in Toys R Us or Target I'll take pics of some of the assorted Star Wars merch and tweet it at Bad Robot, Paramount, CBS, Justin Lin, et al.

They need to realize that people will buy this stuff. My kid likes Star Trek and Star Wars. But he's HUGE on Star Wars. Why? TOYS! I gave him a toy tricorder and he loved it. A toy phaser and he went to town. He loves his communicator. But he ends up with ubiquitous light sabers and Darth Vader figures and he gets pulled away.

He'll play with the Enterprise toy I gave him all day. But, alas, there are no bad guy ships for it to fight with.

Those are some of the mistakes Mattel made for the 09 movie. Two sizes of action figures? Mistake. Piecemeal bridge play set? Wrong. Model of the Enterprise but no Narada, shuttlecraft, or Kelvin? Wrong.

If they'd blitzed like Lucasfilm and Disney do, you have small hotwheels of all the ships docked at the space station plus the space station, etc, etc.

3. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I spent four hours in the back yard with my son searching for buried treasure with an old 1990s TNG tricorder and iPad running Google Maps that he insisted was an Enterprise computer. Sort of a Star Trek/Indiana Jones mashup.

And I realized my son has more Star Trek toys than any kid I have ever seen, primarily because I never got rid of MY old Star Trek toys growing up and now they're all his.

I would KILL for an "iconic vehicle" Kelvin. And Hotwheels should at least come up with a shuttlecraft to match that bird of prey.

4. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

Ditto!

Hotwheels did make the Kelvin 3" toy but beyond eBay online retailers like Entertainment Earth and Things From Another World it was nowhere to be found. Which is too bad because it's gorgeous. The Starships Collection is going to be releasing a Kelvin at some point that looks promising but is definitely a collectors item.

5. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it on Amazon easily enough. That's actually where I got mine.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think there would have been more ships from that toyline if the first wave hadn't bombed in sales. Playmates had a multiyear license with CBS to make Trek toys, IIRC, but had to eventually let it expire after just one year.
    The only thing keeping Star Trek toys from blitzing retail stores like Star Wars toys are the major retail stores. They got burned badly with Star Trek XI's toyline and that soured them on the idea of Trek toys as being even a decent seller.

7. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the offer - unfortunately, I suspect the shipping costs from the US to where I live in NZ (New Zealand) would far exceed the cost of the Excelsior itself (simply because I've generally found shipping stuff from the states to be quite expensive).

I appreciate the gesture, nonetheless! :bolian:

8. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yep, Playmates clowned the toy release of '09 so terribly that it soured the market almost completely. I had hopes that Hasbro would have done something with the license, but their initial customer inquiries must have convinced them that it was only worth the half-hearted effort they put forth for STID.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I'm curious just how a larger scale toy of the Narada would have worked. The design is way too pointy.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any Narada toy would be asking for trouble, kids plucking their eyes out etc. :-/

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Looked a bit like a flea

13. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RAMA and F. King Daniel like this.
  14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

15. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WTH? Are the pylons rubber, straighten out of the box? Are they so keen to save a dime on packaging they don't care how it deforms the product? And what is the empty rectangular-ish shaped compartment right below the ship for, is something missing from the package?

BillJ likes this.
  16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

There's a little base in there, the "empty space" is how the plastic is shaped to keep it from rattling around.

17. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I wonder if the Impulse engines are original or refit?

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I suspected that. Still, it's a lazy, stupid looking design. I'd be ashamed to display that homely POS.

19. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hopefully the original... I thought the refit version looked a little weird, just too wide.

-Ricky

20. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

If they had just rotated the ship into that space where the empty rectangle is they would not have needed to squeeze the nacelles like they did.