Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I didn't notice that at first. I do love the new Superman suit, the only thing I do not like is that the yellow in his chest emblem looks dirty and dull.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually I don't know if it was someone in this thread or somewhere else, but I think someone observed that in different shots (promo pics, etc) that they're using different colours for the crest? For example it's been shown to have a bit of yellow or gold in some shots, but dark in others.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have noticed that myslef. I really like the ones I have seen with the bits of gold in them.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That was me. I imagine they did it as a way to pay homage to the various Superman designs over the years, with black being the background color for Superman's shield in Kingdom Come. The all-blue background in this banner interests me, though; I wonder if that's intentional or if the artist who made that banner got a little too Photoshop happy.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We got in a whole bunch of MOS toys at the Wal-Mart where I work in the last week.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is starting to clog the thread, but I'll answer this. Of course I haven't seen them. They're Nolan movies. After The Dark Knight it was clear I'll hate his movies. I saw The Prestige before TDK, and I watched Rises just to see how bad it was (just like I will with MoS). I got through Rises by laughing at Bane and watching the few good scenes with Commissioner Gordon (he seriously had the only watchable scenes in that movie). I'm sure I'll get through Man of Steel somehow. Probably by watching it on DVD with my brother (bad movies are always better when you're not watching them alone) and/or just the power of my morbid curiosity to see a Superman movie worse than Superman IV.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Actually, from what I gather, it's clear you don't like Nolan Batman movies and you don't like The Prestige. Memento is neither a Nolan Batman movie or The Prestige. Neither is Inception. If you have an open mind and go watch those films and come back and say you don't like them, then you don't like Nolan movies. Right now, you only don't like Nolan Batman films. So there's no way to know if you would like or dislike Nolan Superman films.

8. kirk55555

Well, I would argue that hating half of his movies (all the ones I've seen) is enough to say I'll hate any Nolan movie, especially another Nolan superhero movie. Still, I guess I could watch those, the library does have them. But, looking at wikipedia, Memento looks like it will make me stab my eyes out. I HATE artsy films with weird gimmicks, so reading this on wikipedia:

makes it sound like a movie I'd probably despise it even if it wasn't made by someone whose work I hate, and its premise doesn't help. Also, Inception was made after TDK, meaning he's totally in TDK mode, and its premise seems very, very stupid. These are movies I wouldn't watch even if they stared all my favorite actors and was made by people I didn't hate, so the fact that they're Nolan movies with a bunch of actors I really couldn't care less about means it would be hard for me to want to watch them less, outside of JJ abrams making them. I'll think about it, though. Its really easy to appeal to my morbid curiosity, and the fact that Nolan may have made movies worse than his Batman stuff (and memento atleast looks like it may be in that category) has made me curious. Plus, I've seen a several parodies of Inception (I know Simpson's and South Park both did one) so I've been curious about it.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Memento is a great movie with a great ending. One of few movies where I couldn't guess what was going to happen half way through.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a new TV spot:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-m0MnZzuMbs[/yt]

11. Admiral_Young

Outstanding.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome. And looks like Cavill's been practicing Reeve's primal roar from the first movie.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

What makes you think he would treat Batman and Superman the same? Your entire premise is you don't think Superman should be treated like Batman, but your basis is essentially how he treats Batman. You say "Nolan Superhero Movie" like he's done more than one superhero so far.

If you at least had seen Memento or Inception, I would think it's possible to extrapolate, but it's not really possible based on one franchise and one other movie which is not generally seen as his best.

14. kirk55555

I just don't think someone who made such horrible Batman movies can ever do anything good. He failed at making Batman, completely. He not only got it wrong, he made Batman unrecongniseable. All of the trailers and tV spots for MoS look horrible and, to me, reinforce by thoughts on the movie. I mean, come on, it has hobo Superman. Superman doesn't give up, he doesn't wonder the road with a beard (I'm assuming he's doing this just until he can find a cure for his gamma radiation poisoning :rolleyes:). Can't we just have superman have a good childhood (after arriving on earth obviously) with no parents telling him to let people drown, then have him move to Metropolis, become a hero, and fight a villain (perferably with only 5 or so minutes spent on Krypton and earth childhood combined, its a movie about the man of steel, not the planet that blew up or Clark trying to hide his powers as a kid)? It doesn't have to be all that similar to the Christopher Reeve superman, but it should have a less dark tone than a freaking Batman movie, especially Nolan's garbage.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:lol:...

I assume this is a joke :shifty:, right

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^It is but not intentionally.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like you basically just want a live-action version of the STAS cartoon, where Superman was just a boring do-gooder with no personality who did nothing but fight aliens and giant robots all day.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing a slightly more complex and believable Superman in this movie.

18. Admiral_Young

It also sounds like he has misinterpreted Jonathan's line from the trailer, which was taken from "Superman: Secret Origin". He wasn't saying that Clark should have let them drown...he was basically acting like a father who was afraid of losing his son through exposure of his powers. This is later touched upon by Clark himself with his quote ("My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me... out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?")

It sounds harsh because it's probably out of context to the entire scene and most likely not as "dark" as the poster is attempting to make it out to be.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I have no doubt that that line is out of context in the trailer specifically for shock value. I'm sure the scene in the actual movie will have a totally different feel.

20. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral