Should Abrams Have Done A Clean Reboot

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Pubert, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah he just doesn't seem to fit the Indy mold. Hes just to chunky. He needs to thin out and look like a regular joe.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Chunky? :confused:

Have you not seen how he slimmed down and buffed up for GotG?

3. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    What the Abrams' "reboot" or "reimagining" or whatever you want to call it did was break Trek out of its canon "chains" and give the opportunity for new storytelling and different character development. Look at Star Wars - the brilliant original trilogy is legendary storytelling - not confined by the requirement to match storylines and events.

The second SW trilogy is widely panned - why? Because now they were beholden to the storylines and "canon" of the originals, and had to address how and why things worked out as they did - and so the storytelling became confined. This became the problem with Trek films - 40 some odd years of backstory had to be satisfied, thereby stilting what could be done.

NuTrek broke them out of that by using a device that has been used countless times in the Trek universe. You don't have to like it (but judging by the money totals a decent amount of people have) but I for one look forward to where an unconstrained Trek storyline could go.

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Canon doesn't mean chains and imprisonment. Canon is a foundation and strength. It seems to me that canon has become inconvenient to immediate gratification - that's all. Hence all the "reboots" lately. Do you feel that the stories of Middle-earth are bound by their depth of the mythology or strengthened by it? It might be better, if one is a writer who feels bound by the rules and lore of a certain mythology, to create a new mythology and gain one's own complete freedom from the "chains" of another. It would certainly provide us with a richer cultural heritage to invent something new rather than retread something the writer doesn't feel is good enough for his story.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think that's it. I certainly expect creators who are playing in someone else's sandbox to respect the broad strokes (I believe Abrams and Company did that). But I don't hold them accountable for the minutiae. And 700-plus hours of previous material is a rather large barrier for someone who might be interested in Star Trek.

Star Trek was something that needed to be rebooted. It had become bloated and self-referential to the point only the hardest of hard core even cared (as much as I loved Trek, I had totally tuned it out) and it was strangling the life out of the franchise.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've now gotten to the point where six-pack abs, barrel chest, and huge biceps now counts as chunky and out of shape.

Manorexia really is a thing. Talk about impossible standards!

7. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

He is more buff than Harrison Ford was when he did Indy...
    Maybe that's what Pubert meant...

[​IMG]

If he bleached his hair he could play Ruther Hauer's part in a possible Blade Runner remake?!?

8. Cyke101

That version of Pratt was a few years ago. It takes that much time (no matter who your trainer is) to get into the shape he had for GoTG, one of the most publicized movies from last year. It's also nothing new -- he started getting himself back into shape for Zero Dark Thirty, back in 2012 (no pudgy Marines here). And people who are in shape being called "chunky" is a really, really strange way of putting it.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

You do know that different people look differently...right?

10. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Hes to muscular now. Harrison was lean and had a defined cut chin. Pratt doesn't he looks to much like a body builder now.

I never knew pratt wasa so out of shape. Those shorts also look ridiculous. LOL!

11. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Watching Star trek I will say no need for a clean reboot because old spock was an epic character that worked well in the film. watching into darkness i will say yes to a clean reboot

12. Cyke101

It's your terminology that threw off the understanding. There's plenty of ways to say he's too ripped, but "chunky" tends to mean overweight.

As it is, he bulks up for superhero or military roles, but he looks slimmer (in a healthy way) in Parcs & Rec and the Jurassic World trailers. Considering that Spielberg is producing Jurassic World and is personally pitching the idea of Indiana Jones reboot starring Pratt, Spielberg of all people would know what shape Pratt is in for one of his (and George Lucas's) most iconic characters.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Chunky threw me for a loop. His face is just as cut as his body.

Having said that, I've seen the Indy Mock-ups, and he looks great to me :shrug: