The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainBearclaw, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

^^That quote sounds right.

They saved a good 5 minutes by cutting the death scene flashback and the opening Kirk log entry/bridge talk.

I defer to that writer whether they left in the Kruge/valkris scene as opposed to starting with Grissom.

I do know for sure they didn't insert any deleted scenes or alternate takes because that is something I was looking for and the only reason I tuned in as I already had the movie on VHS tape.
    Plus in my long-winded earlier post I mentioned that they rushed TSFS to air a good 5 months before it was originally meant to because normally "Monday Night at the Movies" on ABC started in February and they probably didn't have time to get any alternate/deleted stuff from Paramount like they did for the first 2 movies.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Not necessarily. The footage on Youtube is the "presentation reel", a long teaser trailer in mini-documentary form, introduced by Shatner's narration, and created expressly for screening at the ShoWest convention.

3. darth_ender

darth_ender Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm not sure how friendly this site is towards fanedits, but you might be interested in seeing bionicbob's edit of the film. He starts it out with Grissom arriving at Genesis, and continues from there, much as how it is described above. I found I preferred the way he arranged the scenes.

4. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This isn't one of the fan edits that stupidly tries to cut them into TOS episodes, is it? I wouldn't assume so.

It does sound like a good idea, it seems like the final edit was kinda rushed together. Plus, the music sounds like it would match the original edit.

5. Therin of Andor

I was shown the ST IV workprint at UIP's theatrette in Sydney. It was after the US premiere but before the Sydney gala preview of the theatrical release.

It had uncorrected Klingon ship FX - eg. a little square frame followed with the ship model as it performed its slingshot around the sun, complete with a guy pumping bellows to emit smoke! Similarly, the Probe moved through space surrounded by a large rectangle.

Lots of "scene missing" FX slides.

And temporary closing credits that had the actors' faces in circles, IIRC.

No "additional footage".

6. CaptainBearclaw

Oh, that's still interesting, though. Might add that.

7. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

I guess nobody has a copy of it, right?

Maab

8. CaptainBearclaw

It wouldn't be that important anyway.

By the way, a site called workprints.biz is offering free downloads of the Generations rough cut, (the 135 min. version). Check it out.

9. darth_ender

darth_ender Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, now that I know your opinion on it, no, it's nothing like that ;) Actually, that's exactly what it is, and I kind of like the format. It worked best for TMP, which is just so hard for me to sit through any other way. Especially considering the original intent of TMP as the aborted Phase II, I thought it worked well. Even if you don't like the format, it's worth a watch to see how the movie plays out with those scenes rearranged.

10. CaptainBearclaw

Sorry about that, kinda spoke too soon. I looked it up on fanedit.org afterward. :vulcan:

The idea of the reordering does strike me as interesting, though I do find myself wishing there was some source for the deleted turbo lift scene

11. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Well, even if there are no extra scenes, it wuold still be interesting to see the unfinished special FX. However I don't think this workprint will evere be available.

That's really an interesting find. I already have most of the workprints on VHS, but this is a fast way to get them in digital format. Thanks!
    I'd love if there were something similar for television versions.

Maab

12. CaptainBearclaw

Wait, which films do you have? 'Cause I am starting a Trek rarities blog soon and those would be an interesting resource, if you had some way of sending them.

13. Therin of Andor

We were mere fans helping with the plans for the gala premiere that was to be held in Sydney. (We also had to sketch and create the white costume and headband for our official Spock lookalike.) The film never left the paws of Mr Paramount. ;)

[​IMG]
    Buspak by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

14. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

I meant I already have on VHS many of the workprints that can be found on the website you indicated (http://workprints.biz).

- Star Trek Generations
    - Blade Runner
    - Waterworld
    - Alien 3
    And some more...

I don't have any other Star Trek workrpint (and I don't think any other is available among collectors).

Maab

15. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Really nice! :)

Maab

16. CaptainBearclaw

INS:
    Ru'afo's face lift was cut down to remove some of his skin being stretched.
    Picard has a disastrous attempt at a working lunch.
    Riker and Troi flirt in the ship's library.
    Picard and Anij kiss.
    Data beams out of a buckling Cousteau.
    A short discussion of the injector was removed.
    Ru'afo was originally ejected into the planet's rings, growing progressively younger.
    A small cameo by Quark was cut out.

And NEM:
    Originally Riker and Troi's wedding was much longer and featured Wesley Crusher played by series star Wil Wheaton in attendance. He is still sitting next to Dr. Crusher in the theatrical version.
    A private conversation between Picard and Data over a glass of wine.
    Early introduction of Shinzon in the film (right after the wedding reception). This is the scene that includes the dialogue from the theatrical trailers, "But in darkness there is strength...(Viceroy)" and "The time we have dreamed of is at hand... the mighty federation will fall before us...(Shinzon)."
    Worf warning Picard about the Romulans just before they leave for Romulus. This scene includes the dialogue from the trailer, "I recommend extreme caution...
    Extended conversation between Picard and Crusher with Picard's old school photos.
    In the original 3 hour cut Shinzon's obsession with Troi runs much deeper and there are several scenes that show him seducing and tormenting her in her mind. A scene featured in the theatrical trailers show Troi struggling with the mind meld inflicted by Shinzon and his Viceroy. You still see the effects of the tortureous mind meld in the theatrical version as Troi appears fatigued and psychologically drained.
    A scene of Data teaching his brother B-4 how to eat with a fork.
    A scene of Picard walking with Troi down a corridor and Troi explaining to him that he and Shinzon are two different people. This scene includes the line from the trailer, "it was like a part of me had been stolen...
    Footage of Geordi and Data planning and executing the mission to rescue Picard on board the Scimitar was also cut and featured the swapping places of Data and B-4.
    Sick-bay getting ready for battle, a short dialogue between Dr. Crusher and Picard is shown.
    Geordi and Worf clean out Data's quarters. And Worf claims ownership of Spot.
    Picard and Crusher share a final beat to close out their romance, as Crusher accepts a job at Starfleet Medical.
    Riker and Troi board the USS Titan as he takes command as Captain and she resumes her job as ships' counselor.
    A new First Officer is introduced on board the Enterprise and two funny moments are shown afterward. Instead of ending while the Enterprise is docked above Earth, this new ending shows the Enterprise flying away.

Perhaps Nemesis would have been better received if some of this footage was reinstated.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  17. Grant

Here is a shot of the deleted child scene next to Genesis from the end of TWOK.............

[​IMG]

18. Grant

Another...........

[​IMG]

19. Grant

Last one from the earlier scene at the cargo carrier...........

[​IMG]

20. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Way to let your kid die, Khan. I don't blame them for cutting that out. I kind of find that oddly depressing even now.