Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll see if I can rough out a deck plan for you.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Vektor

Okay, here's a really rough plan view of what I had in mind. This is NOT to scale and may require significant adjustments to make it fit inside the hull outline. I did both the concept illustration and this plan purely by eye, so I guess we'll see if this actually works or not.

Also note there's quite a bit of stuff shown on the plan that isn't in the illustration yet, like the step down to the main engine control stations on either side, the additional consoles, etc. A lot of this is just stream of creative consciousness.

[​IMG]

4. Vektor

You know, I can probably pull a set of cross-sections off the model to create a basic shell for this space, if you think that will help give you a proper starting point, Dennis.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

:guffaw:Haha! I had sudden visions of Doc Brown when I read the "not to scale" comment and saw that awesome blueprint sketch.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It looks great Doc!

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look at the time stamps on Vektor's last two messages! "I'll see if I can rough out a deck plan ..." and one hour later, BANG! A detailed sketch that would work as background art representing a blueprint.

The comparisons to Doc Brown are quite appropriate.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Looks great!

Re "Unnamed crewman", as per my previous messages he is Petrie, as in Rob and Laura. ;)

One thing we can probably do is add some interacting lighting effects to tie together the matte and live action. We could some flashing alarm lights in the background when necessary and cast appropriately colored rim-lighting around the edges of the actors.

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dang, he is fast. Almost as fast as I am slow and meticulous.

Vector, how do you do it?

And do we have to call the "booster engines" booster engines? "Auxiliary thrusters" would seem like a more likely term to be used.

10. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is it! Thanks. I look forward to its revision

11. Vektor

Ah, okay, I must have missed that. Noted for future reference.

12. Vektor

This really was just a quick and dirty floorplan sketch. It helps that I have a degree in drafting and computer-aided design, so this type of drawing is something I have quite a lot of experience with, only this was quicker and easier because it was literally just a sketch.

As for the "booster engines," I've never been totally happy with that name either, but "auxiliary engines" doesn't quite work either. Their main purpose is for takeoffs and landings and orbital maneuvering. I'm open to suggestions on better names.

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, "launch thrusters"?

Sincerely,

Bill

14. Savage Dragon

Boosters works for me. Not everything needs to sound like technobabble.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

LMTs (Launch & Maneuvering Thrusters)
    LMDs (Launch & Maneuvering Drives)

Or think about what each does and what it's named and maybe something appropriate will occur e.g.:
    Drive Grid = FTL
    AAE (Antimatter Annihilation Engine) = sublight)
    _______ = Launch & Manuevering Drive

16. Savage Dragon

Ok, I like LMTs.

17. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm really impressed with everything I've seen so far coming from "Polaris". Jason's work continually blows me away and it's lots of fun following the behind the scenes progress in real time. Nice work all the way around!

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Local Space Drives, LSD for short.:techman:

Or to borrow from H. Beam Piper, the Lift and Drive engines.

19. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

How about "Riseupinators"?

"Elevateamajigs"?

"Upsidedaisium Field Generators"?

20. Vektor

We already have "maneuvering thrusters" at various locations all over the ship so we probably don't want to use that.

I envision those engines as a type of hybrid rocket/scramjet. They can function in pure rocket mode, but they can also take advantage of a combustible atmosphere at supersonic speeds for additional thrust. Technically they should not have a rotary compressor fan on the front and I would actually advise Dennis to keep the center spike but eliminate the fan.

While all these technical details are largely irrelevant in a script sense--indeed, everyone involved has worked hard to avoid any undue obsession with technobabble--I do like to work out my own explanations for things behind the scenes, just to maintain some logical consistency if nothing else.

Propulsion-wise, I see Polaris having three different systems. In order of least to most powerful, you have the maneuvering thrusters, then the booster engines, then the main engines.

The maneuvering thrusters are rather oversized on this ship class, which is fortunate since Polaris is distinctly lacking in armor and other defensive capabilities and it's best defense is its ability to get out of the way.

The booster engines are used for takeoffs and landings, orbital maneuvering, and transitioning between orbital and interplanetary space.

The main engines are a high-tech aerospike variation. They are conventional reaction engines that work in tandem with the ship's artificial gravity/inertial compensation systems to MASSIVELY amplify thrust and exhaust velocity. These things are capable of driving the ship to a significant percentage of light speed very quickly using fractional amounts of fuel. They also produce a fairly lethal stream of relativistic particles hundreds of miles long, which is why they don't tend to be used in atmosphere or near orbit. Visually, I imagine each of the five engines in each cluster directing their exhaust toward the central spike, from which a pillar of blue fire shoots out like the lights on top of the Luxor hotel in Vegas, only about 10 times brighter.

At least, that's the way I see it. Dennis and the gang can take that for what it's worth as far as the effects sequences go.