(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

So Rio Ferdinand gets 8 months in 2004 and these two get 1 game :wtf: Not too mention do you remember that Russian player who helped knock Wales out of the EURO 2004 playoffs who tested positive, he didn't get 8 months did he ?

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

How convenient that they don't have to kick CSKA out of the competition now...

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

UEFA and FIFA are weak on cheats because there all a bunch of FAT GREEDY TICKET TOUTING BASTARDS themsevles.

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Interesting draw for the European cups - they usually tout some dream tie or other, but it's very rare they actually happen. To get both Mourinho and Beckham's return to their former clubs is genuinely surprising. Weird how the English and Italian clubs getting drawn together isn't it? Inter, Milan and Roma must be so, so sick of England by now.

I'd anticipate progression from all the English sides except Fulham. Shakhtar Donestk, victory over whom gives the reward of Ajax or Juventus? Ouch.

Roger after watching your boys and Celtic last night I can see why you have a winter break! Was that snow typical weather for your parts at this time of year?

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Fulham won't be pleased with that. Still, they are a better side than they are given credit for, and there is still a good chance the Old Lady might make an appearance at Craven Cottage.

Liverpool's draw is kinder, but Unirea are no mugs. They did well in the Champions League, and the way we're playing, it won't be a walkover.

Everton's is unpredictable, as neither they nor Sporting have been particularly impressive this season.

6. Roger Wilco

I don't know if it "typical" but it's definitely not unusual.
    [btw. what a stupid match, but very typical of our EC season, phantastic start and then a solid kick in the nuts. ;)]

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Since we are near the half way mark in the PL season I thought I would look back at my prediction in the summer to see how close I am...

My Prediction

Am not doing too bad with Chelsea, man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Fulham, Sunderland and bottom half is hit n miss. I blame my Liverpool prediction on the fact I didn't think RAFA was stupid enough to sell Alonso and Everton on injuries :p

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The wires are going crazy over this report...

Poor choice IMO because I don't rate Mancini and he wonly began to dominate Italy after the fix scandal that threw Juventus out of the league. Also he never did anything in Europe, they should of tried hard to get Hiddink or Mourinho.

9. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

That's Hughes gone, Mancini in. He's got a fair bit of work to do before Manchester City are consistently competitive I think.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If West Ham lose tommorow they will be bottom at Christmas and only 1 club in the 17 year history of the Premier League have been bottom at christmas only to avoid relegation (West Brom). However I don't blame Zola because the buys have been done by director of football Nani something, which proves once again that MANAGERS and only managers should be doing the buying and selling of players.

If the Hammers do get relegated for the 2nd time this decade then it will be a fire sale in the summer with the likes of Green, Upson, Parker, Noble, Cole a few of there better players who will be up for sale. Booby More must be spinning in his grave :rolleyes:

11. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*Rubs hands gleefully*

The Hammers pegged back Chelsea, United lost to Fulham, and Arsenal took 3 points from Hull Brown. Great weekend.

Arsenal are looking for a striker in January, I have to say I've been impressed with Bobby Zamora of late. He hasn't got the technical ability of your typical Arsenal player, but he's hard working, a big battering ram, and holds up play well.

Also, I understand Bayern are willing to get Luca Toni go on a free in January. Surely that's worth a look? At 32 he hasn't got a long career ahead of him so he probably wouldn't get in the way of our younger players coming through.

12. Roger Wilco

Toni has been horrible for a long time now and Bayern won't let him go for free. I really doubt you'd be happy with him at Arsenal.

13. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Rio got the long suspension because he failed to show up for the test, the CSKA players showed up, and while they failed it, the drug they were found to be using wasnt on the list of banned substance or something like that (I forget the name of the list) which is why they got a very small suspension and the club wasnt kicked out of Europe.

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I think this year we might see the Curse of Christmas broken. Portsmouth are looking in reasonable shape at the moment and Grant knows what he's doing. There's a long way to go, sure, and they'lll be losing about 5-6 players for the African Cup. However, they're only 3 points from safety and have half a season to make it up. I predicted them for the drop like you did, but right now I think Hull, Bolton and Burnley are more likely to fall into trouble while Portsmouth scrape their way out.

15. dragunzng

Well they've said they'd be willing to let him go for free, he's been rubbish lately? Maybe that's because he isn't enjoying his football? I just looked up his scoring stats over the last two years and it reads as 38 goals in 59 games, that's not bad at all really.

I'd rather see someone else of course, but I can't see Arsene splashing the cash!

16. Roger Wilco

Yes, I was wrong about that, apparently Bayern is really desperate to get rid of him.

I don't know what exactly the reason is why he sucks at the moment, maybe he's secretly on strike or something and still has "it", but as far as I've seen he hasn't shown anything since some time last season, and I follow the German Bundesliga fairly closely.

If he's free and can convince the Arsenal officials that he's still mentally in the game too, maybe he would be worth a shot.

17. dragunzng

Well I'm just getting sick of seeing Almunia hoof the ball up to 4 foot 3 Arshavin is all :P

18. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Oh come now. He's at least 4'6".

19. dragunzng

Maybe when he's wearing lifts :lol:

Merry Christmas fellow football fans!

20. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did Wenger change his philosophy or something? I can't imagine Arsenal playing the classic English footy style of hoof and chase ..