Second try finishing STID...better this time around.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by oddsigve, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Waiting for someone to suggest it is a join-the-dots colouring book.

2. Kotowboy

Kotowboy Ensign Red Shirt

Twice since i've bought the DVD - i've put it on to watch the Nibiru scene and before I know it - the film is over :P

3. Therin of Andor

Agreed. People wondered why Data's makeup looked so different in "Generations" - had it been altered? No, but the way the sets were lit definitely were.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And lighting also apparently explains why Prime Spock's hair looks so much darker in STID than in ST:XI.

5. Kotowboy

Kotowboy Ensign Red Shirt

:techman: It's really boring too.

6. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

In the Generations commentary, it is stated that the production of All Good Things and Generations took place simultaneously. That explains why Generations plays out like an episode. The lighting in Generations is not TV, IS interesting, but now that I think about it, is probably done that way to distract us from the TV style writing and acting.

7. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I actually preferred the lighting and how they made the sets look starkly different from TNG sets in GEN. It certainly wasn't the best TNG movie outing, but IMO it was the best looking of the four movies.

8. Therin of Andor

More like "Generations" was in pre-production while "All Good Things..." was in production.

How?

No, it was because the lighting and cinematography staff knew they were preparing seven-year-old TV sets for the big screen.

Not too sure on the difference between TV acting and motion picture acting. They are different to stage acting in many ways, but do actors really change their performances for the big and small screens?

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tend to agree with this assessment -- the production had the incomparable Oscar-winning cinematographer John Alonzo (who lensed, among many other films, Chinatown and Harold and Maude) at its service, which gave the picture a lush, visually-sumptuous look that none of the other TNG films came close to recreating.

Not quite correct -- Generations began principal photography in March, 1994, while the final episodes of TNG were still in production, with the opening sequences set aboard the Enterprise-B, Kirk's deleted spacediving scenes, etc., so there was definitely some actual production-overlap going on.

By the time "All Good Things..." wrapped, the TV cast was given two or three days off, and then shooting resumed on the bulk of the 24th Century scenes of the film.