Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lyon_Wonder, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

There are more than a few reasons I stay away from the theater:

1.) Cost - I do not see paying $10+ for a movie I am unsure I will enjoy, or think is worth the cost knowing in a short time I can rent, buy or watch on TV at home for free.

2.) The "Experience" - I do not enjoy going to the theater often because I find people to be loud and rude. I didn't pay $10+ to see a movie AND listen to you talk to your friend on a cellphone about your cold ravioli you sent back to the kitchen 3 times before they got it right. I hope they spit in it. STFU!

3.) Also, most theaters are disgusting - floors and seats are sticky. OK, I'm a germaphobe. And people are pigs. At one time, going to the theater was akin to class. Now? Not so much...

Fix that part about going to the movies, and I might decide to go more than two or three times a year.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

All very good points.

Movies I have in theaters in the last ten years, in order...

Dark Knight Rises
    Red Lights (Free)
    Inception
    Jurassic Park 3

:lol:

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

They do the tiered pricing here, too. Cheaper on Weekdays,Tuesday is cheap price all day (at a lot of places) and Wednesday, if you're with a certain Mobile Network, it's 2 for 1. More expensive Weekends and evenings.

Certain chains have membership cards that save you money, Cineworld has an Unlimited card which means you pay a subscription and you can go to any showing of any film and as many films as you like.

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm really late to the party, but what a load of malarkey.

Nobody is going to pay $25 for a feature, not unless we're talking about the effect of inflation many decades from now. If movies got to be that expensive, people would just pirate them, completely defeating the purpose.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We don't go to the movies much anymore. First it was Hubby's school, then his work, then my school, that left little time for movies. Back when the LOTR came out, those were the ONLY movies we saw in the theater during that time. Now, we just don't like the prices. We DO go for a few--got free tickets for Monsters, Inc. 3D re-release, saw Hobbit 3D with a friend, and we saw Les Miz for the big screen effects. And we went when they were live-televising a Les Miz Special live from London--that we paid $22 each for. Not too much else.

Hubby prefers to get dvds/blurays. We have over 300 blurays/dvds of movies and tv shows. I keep an alphabetized list in my computer and phone, just to make sure we don't unintentionally double dip.

When our big tv goes, we'll be getting a 60" or 70" just for watching at home. Prices on new sets have come down a lot in the last few years, but our tv has such a wonderful image that we just don't want to get rid of it yet, not even to give it to family. When it goes, I told Hubby to get any tv he wants--our viewing distance will be about 12' away, so that's good, too, for large screen.

6. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm confused how an article about runaway production has anything to do with this thread. The headline sure is eye-catching, but the reporting is old news if you pay attention to the film industry.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So basically in a free-market economy L.A. is losing out to other places in the USA and/or around the world. Well as the saying goes that's buisness.