Favorite DS9 Episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by eskyliz, May 27, 2013.

1. eskyliz

eskyliz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm sure we all have a favorite DS9 episode so as my first thread I decided to ask the question that I'm sure has been asked before but is probably lost deep in the archives of this website. Which episode is your personal favorite and why?

I'm also probably going to be doing one or two more of these "favorite" threads just for fun so keep you're eyes out if you're interested. :)

2. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Trials and Tribble-ations is very high on my list of favorites. It's a whole lot of fun, and i love how Odo responds to the tribbles. As well, the episode is a tribute to TOS that's fond and respectful without going over the top or being cloying (as I think it could have been in lesser hands.)

I was just talking about Trials and Tribble-ations this morning to a Trekkie friend who hasn't seen very much DS9. He shocked me when he said he's never seen it. How could any self-respecting Trek fan miss such a magnificent treat? Needless to say, he's going to be getting my copy of Season 5 as soon as possible!

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a hard time narrowing it down.

Emissary
    Duet
    In the Hands of the Prophets
    The Circle
    Necessary Evil
    The Search, Parts I and II
    Heart of Stone
    Second Skin
    Explorers
    The Way of the Warrior
    The Visitor
    Indiscretion
    Rejoined
    Return to Grace
    Accession
    Hard Time
    To the Death
    A Call to Arms
    Rocks and Shoals
    Behind the Lines
    Statistical Probabilities
    Far Beyond the Stars
    In the Pale Moonlight
    Chrysalis
    The Siege at AR-558
    It's Only a Paper Moon
    Chimera
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
    Tacking into the Wind
    What You Leave Behind

4. darthspangler

darthspangler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. The Visitor. I would argue this is the best Star Trek episode ever. Cried the first time I saw it, and upon each subsequent viewing.
    2. Far Beyond the Stars. Avery Brooks is awesome in it. Confronts the ugliness of racism head-on.
    3. In the Pale Moonlight. Never get tired of this one. Starfleet officers fabricating evidence in order to justify pulling the Romulans over to the losing side in a war. Again, Brooks at his best.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

The Way of the Warrior is very good, especially when you have the subtitles for when they speak Klingon.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Trials and Tribbleations is a good episode but I think it's a bit overrated. Embraces the camp just a bit too much for me to rank it among best of series.

Chronolically:

Emissary
    Dax
    Duet
    Whispers
    Civil Defense
    The Die is Cast
    The Adversary
    The Visitor
    Homefront
    Hard Time
    The Quickening
    The Ship
    Nor The Battle to The Strong
    The Assignment
    Call To Arms
    Rocks and Shoals
    Who Mourns For Morn?
    In The Pale Moonlight
    The Siege of AR-558
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

7. eskyliz

eskyliz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well I have to say my two favorites are Far Beyond the Stars and Nor the Battle to the Strong. I have so many others that I love but I will never get tired of re-watching these two. Far Beyond the Stars makes me cry every time but it also lifts my spirits when I see how far we've come in the last half century. And Nor the Battle to the Strong. Well. I'm not even quite sure why that one gets me. Maybe it's the fact that Bashir is my all time favorite and you really get to see him in circumstances you don't always get to see him in or maybe it's the fact that Jake (another great character) is looking within himself and finding out a lot about life. Either way, they're both amazing episodes

8. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

The Visitor
    Call to Arms
    Sacrifice of Angels
    Emissary
    Duet
    The Search
    Far Beyond the Stars
    In the Pale Moonlight
    The Adversary
    The Way of the Warrior
    Apocalypse Rising
    In the Cards
    The Final Arc (I can't separate these episodes to rank them against each other)
    The Occupation Arc (Ditto)

9. Kabraxal

Kabraxal Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There are so many... and some I can't recall the titles too since I'm tipsy but:

In the Pale Moonlight (sort of universal isn't it?)
    Siege of Ar558 (something about it that is just so poignant)
    The Visitor (just a nice personal episode)
    Explorers (the one eppie that really got me into this series. I was overseas and this was that one that made me so mad I couldn't see it regularly)
    And so many Klingon centric eppies... Sons of MOgh is a standout as well as Worf getting a place in the House of Martok.

It's just really hard to narrow this series down like this since there are only one or two "not as great" eppies. I mean, there isn't one episode I'd say is unwatchable or below the standard of almost any other television show. In fact, only two other series hold that distinction where even the "worst" episode is better than many other series period: MASH and Chuck. DS9 is just one of those special series.

10. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Top three (in no particular order)

Way of the Warrior
    In the Cards
    Whispers