Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Also gotta buy it for each toon, not each account, so the "free" CP are more than used up just trying to keep up with those things. Since the value of the items I'd buy is cheaper than what I paid to get the "free" CP, not sure I'd classify it as that. If it was a reasonable cost to unlock more BOFF slots, ship slots, bank slots per ACCOUNT, I'd probably spend a few there. Since it's NOT cheap, and I'd have to do it on every toon (currently 5, but it fluctuates), it would cost way more than I'm given. Since the cost of the majority (not all) of items doubled when the "free" CP was introduced, not sure how valuable it really is anyway.

Weren't the "free" CP supposed to be used for recognizing the fact that we paid for access to something, and then Cryptic changed things to give that access away for free? Having to use the payback money to make up for requirement bloat seems less fun than getting to use it to buy costumes, or a ship, or whatever. And even then, there are upper limits to what you can buy. Just looking for the developers to admit that there's been a bit of bloat in the number of unique items we might hold onto over time, and gradually bump available space up for long-time veterans to accomodate that.

Just saying that if you're given a free BOFF, for example, you should get a place to PUT them, too. And if you give away enough different BOFFs over time, should recognize that more slots are going to be required (tie to to a Veteran Reward when you give away the Android, for example) to put them. Which unique, irreplaceable BOFF should you dump to accept the next one? Doubt the Jem'Hadar will be the last purple BOFF given away in the game, so eventually going to have to drop the special ones to accept anyone else.

Not saying we should have dozens of slots, and get them all free, but if you've been playing this game nonstop for 2+ years, pretty much all your spots (ships, BOFFs, DOFFs, bank) are maxed out, or close. And every time they put out more 3-piece ship sets, or ground sets, the available space shrinks. Just about anything of marginal value is Bind on Pickup, so you can't send the lesser-valuable stuff to your new characters, can't sell them on exchange, can't give away to Fleet members. Just end up putting unique things in the garbage, which kinda sucks...

2. apostle83

apostle83 Admiral Admiral

Can I play with you guys?

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, all we need is your name@handle to invite you to the fleet.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've talked about it on the STO boards before, and while I think most of the ideas tossed out by some of the lifers and gold members are silly, I do agree that there needs to be a real reason to subscribe. For myself, I'm a Silver, and I'm fine with that because for many months I had a sub, so I got to keep everything I purchased (which I feel is as it should be anyway). In essence, I have the same stats as a gold member, I just don't have to pay, save that I don't get anything towards Vet rewards or C-points.

Still, when one looks over the benefits, there are virtually none. The Vet rewards aren't the greatest, and 400 C-points seems awfully paltry. Someone suggested 600 C-points and I felt that would be better. Another person suggested 1000 C-points, but that may be a bit much. Some of the sillier ideas were to not allow Silver players use chat, another was to keep Silver players from being allowed to reach VA, which is stupid, because some of the most expensive items in the C-Store are the endgame ships.

That's not even the biggest problem. That belongs to the same issue Scout was discussing, that everyone's running out of space, and even when you buy extra slots, you fill them up fast due to the nature of the game. I am tempted to go through my 12 ships and deleted half of them, just to make room because I know there are new ships coming that I'm going to want (Ambassador class T5, please!).

I purchased bank vault space (2 rows), and I'm still filling it up. I'm not a pack rat, everything in my bank serves a purpose. It's either my pets, the data samples, the rare commodities, or rare to very rare ground/space weapons that cost too much to buy on the exchange, so I don't throw them away. I can understand why people start fleets, so they can have the fleet bank space!

They'll need a workaround to this soon, because the whole idea is to accumulate rare and fun items, and people won't do that if they fear they have to trash them (and lose them for good) to make room for something else. It would be different if I could get rid of a ship knowing I could get it back (you can only do it for the C-Store ships), but I lost a couple of ships that way and now you have to pay in dilithium and c-points if you want them again, and right now, converting C-points to dilithium is an exercise in futility, because the rates are so low, you spend a gob of C-points for relatively little dilithium. I think we can thank the lock box/master key lottery for that one.

5. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Ambassador class T5 for the win:bolian:

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I swear, I love my T5 Excelsior, but I'd drop it in a heartbeat for an Ambassador class ship, T5 or no. :lol:

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'll third that. An Ambassador class would complete the Enterprise progression.

8. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wish that the Ambassador class would come with a bridge pack of its own, looking similar like the Enterprise-C bridge but with more modern looking displays( and maybe an option to choose the more retro look also).
    And I believe the Excelsior-class does not have her own bridge yet either.

Speaking of the special Jem'Hadar BOFF..it is a pity that one cannot even customize the look or even change him to a SF uniform. Takes a lot of value away from it IMHO, since the guy would look very much out of place. So I personally decided not to include one to my crew, at this time anyway.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I would keep the Excelsior on my main character (it's my favorite ST ship of all time). I would love to use the Ambassador on my alt though. It is a great looking ship with classic Trek design. I saw some great new art for the Ambassador posted by Doug Drexler in his blog on July 3, 2011. You can check it out here http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love the Ambassador to be in game (the Vesta on the other hand leaves me cold).
    Just to have the Enterprise line complete.

At the moment I don't see myself giving up my Sovereign, even as teh stock variant that it is, it is exactly what I need to fit my playstyle.
    Sometimes I would like it to turn a little faster and sometimes I miss the signature quad torpedo volley. At the moment I spit out single plasma torps for gameplay purposes (to get DoT damage ticks on my enemies to keep aggro and because another beam array doesn't seem add esignificant extra energy damage).
    But it isn't canon at all and I would rather have weaker Quantum torps with some plasma properties.
    Maybe this is a nice addition for a +1 Sovereign? Quad Quantum Launcher instead of a console, that always fires 4 quantum torps in quick succession where the yield is lower than standard quantums per torpedo but adds a nice DoT damage?
    May have to suggest that on the STO forums...

Also the ship should be touched up visually and perfected to match what was on screen.
    Captain Logan has by now gained the skill to do is, he is just missing the time.
    And then of course it needs a nice interior like the Constitution and the Defiant.

11. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am completely with you on the Sovereign. I think that ship very much needs some love.

12. apostle83

I am Trill Ambassador@trillambassador

13. apostle83

And.... I just cancelled a recruiting assignment about 5 seconds before it finished. **smashes head into desk**

14. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    In officer exchange programs in Science Fiction, it's not at all unusual for the officer to retain the uniform of his home fleet. A Trek example would be when Riker served on a Klingon ship. So it's perfectly natural for your Jem'Hadar officer to be in his own uniform.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Would be nice as an option, though, to be able to use the regular StarFleet uniform options in addition to whatever bonus costume pieces you get for that particular species. With all the special BOFFs we've got, I have very few BOFFs left that can actually wear the uniform I'm trying to put on my characters. Breen, Reman, Jem'Hadar, HoloDoc, Borg Science Off, Borg Eng. Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but that's already 6 of the 10 BOFF slots where I can't do much (if any) customization, so more than half my ship's compliment is out of uniform.

Plus just kinda boring when it sets to default, you can't personalize it, and everyone that has these BOFFs has them all look exactly the same. Not a huge gripe, just a small disappointment that doesn't seem like it would be too hard to correct. What's the harm in having my Reman BOFF wearing the team uniform rather than his sparkly cape?

Perfectly reasonable that he should be able to wear his cape if he wants, but not all that unreasonable to allow him to toss on a Star Fleet uni once he joins my crew, either.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Ambassador - I've never really liked the ship for role-playing or otherwise. However, I think it needs to be in the game to complete the Enterprise line.

Sovereign - I love the ship (and own it), but the Excelsior Refit is my baby. Whoever put that into the game has my eternal gratitude. Perhaps they should come out with a tier 6 Sovereign for when Cryptic raised the current rank cap.

BOFF uniforms - I also wish that you had the option to use a special BOFF's uniform or change to match your away team. I think that's a nice option on the Borg Engineer.

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I just learnt today that a science officer with a medic kit can easily trivialize Infected Ground missions. My science officer's aoe heal boost the team's damage resistance by 25 and I can apply a dampening field on the boss, causing her damage to be reduced by 66%.

It got to the point where the chain lightning only dealt 50 points of damage, which I can easily heal.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you aren't already using one I've found the mk XI RCS console helps with that.

I would rather they just keep 5 tiers, theres really no point to raising it plus the Odessey which is the new flagship is T5, it makes no sense to add news ships that are better than it especially one its replaced as the flagship class.

This is why I like having a well rounded team of different classes instead on the majority of one class. I was on an all tac team that tried to do infected ground on elite and it wasn't pretty.

19. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or, you could break line of sight with her when you're the target (light blue circle around your character). No dmg at all.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well crap now I have to use my C-point stash on the +1 Odyssey since it comes with this http://aw3d.weebly.com/environment---star-trek-online---odyssey-bridge.html

Damn you Cryptic for selling stuff in the C-store I actually want to buy.

[Looks at linked pics again]

Wait a minute that looks like a transporter pad ON THE BRIDGE :eek:

You mean I can beam up and down from the bridge AWESOME!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.