Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The lifetime sub i bought a year or so ago kinda locks me in there, doesn't it? You're hundreds of dollars too late for that. :lol: And I'm NOT buying the keys for the boxes, as the contents are total crap (aside from the ship), and mostly useless to anyone at or near max level in the first place. Even changing the contents of these boxes to fun or useful items would have been a start, but they are basically all garbage other than the ship. That's why you can pick them up for nothing on the exchange.

I DO wish I could turn off the constant spam, though. Guess I could disable all system messages, but seems like there's negative consequences to that, like not getting announcements that downtime is about to happen.

I'm unhappy because it gives me a shitty feeling about the overall direction of the game, and whether the new attitude towards the players post-F2P is going to kill the game in the long term.

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

If you think that's bad, wait till you see what some other MMOs have done to drive customers away.

F2p-wise, EverQuest 2's is probably the worst of the bunch where anything beyond the most basic gameplay is locked behind a pay wall.

The most memorable one for me is the infamous EverQuest Gates of Discord saga that caused me to stop subscribing to MMOs for several years. Imagine you and your 100 strong top end EverQuest guild have just spent a year working really hard to unlock the best possible gear the last expansion pack had to offer. You and your guildmates now own the absolute best possible gear the game has to offer. Now SOE releases a new expansion pack called Gates of Discord and suddenly every single top end guild including your own get their asses wiped by the very first, weakest raid boss in the new expansion pack. Now imagine how the entire playerbase feels when the best of the best players are getting their asses wiped. During the first three months, I saw corpses everywhere in the new expansion pack. I think at least a quarter of the playerbase, including many top end players, simply quit the game en masse and the CEO of SOE had to publicly apologize and promise to tune things down.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought 20 of these keys for two charactors, i had assumed at least i would get 20 diffrent things...what i did not expect was to pick up the same thing 6 times(DS9 uniform), consumables and skill boosts........that was what i got for my 1800c points.....no doubt enough to have bought the Galor if they had just put it on the store.

I now just ditch the boxes when i pick them up....once bitten and all that.;)

4. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got bored of all those data samples taking space from new consoles and weapons, so I yesterday crafted some shield generators and but all the rest data stuff to the BBS fleet bank, as much as I could fit there.
    I am planning to do so in the future also. I am not really into crafting(did not do that on Champions Online either) and I honestly will rather use that time for the daily missions.
    This way ppl of the fleet have bit more things to craft with and I have hopefully bit more room in my bank:)

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I didn't realize that the system alert messages were part of the HUD display. Once I realized that, I moved it off to a corner. Still bothers me but a lot less...

Scout, I lifted the chat box about a quarter of an inch and slid the system alert under it. It's a lot less distracting now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. Rocketeer

I was heavy in the DOFF system on Tribble. Got a Fed Tac to VA with just two missions and the rest DOFF points. Got the KDF char to VA with no missions (except talk to the transporter chief which is more of a tutorial).

I love the DOFF system but think that no or very litttle XP should be given. Most of the points should go to the different commendations. Heretic said that they have nerfed the
    XP awards 5 times. However, it still needs to be trimmed down.

7. Rocketeer

We all knew F2P was coming and would have some negative impact.

You are missing Scout's point and the point that others are making. We haven't spent any money. That's not what we're complaining about. We're complaining about our semi-fun Star Trek game becoming a neon billboard and lottery all rolled into one.

Edited to add that my daughter was playing this morning and every drop was a green cardassian box. She collected about 30 or more. What's up with that?!? Are regular drops gone now?... If so, that means that to get any items from a drop will require a player to purchase a key. Does the phrase "Going to hell in a handbasket" mean anything.

8. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Because the new people aren't on the forums.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And you know that how? Not a great assumption. Also, what's the upside of that comment? Only the people that have financially supported the game for the past two years are mad? :lol:

10. syberghost

Forum posts include the author's join date.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And while there are a mojority of older players, there are plenty of late 2011/early 2012 join dates right in the first couple threads. Your point? Not sure where you're even going with that, other than to try and imply that the people that have paid the money that supported this game don't matter...?

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

So, about that FE...? Good luck defending that one. Poorly put together, bugged as hell, and got to end and it said I hadn't started...

Took 3 tries (from start), but managed to finish on one character. Then logged out to try another character, and can't even reconnect to log in again.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I had no trouble from start to finish. It was pretty good, though I preferred the space action compared to the ground action.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

you must be the super minority. Hell, STOked did a live podcast, and it crashed on them while they played... :lol:

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. syberghost

You're saying the new people hate the game, based on forum posts by different people.

The people who have been bitching for two years are still bitching; this is not news, there is no need to alert the media.

17. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Huzzah! I managed to play through from start to finish without bugs. Well, I do consider the disabling of my Exocomp and phaser turret a "bug", but I guess they did it intentionally. Good thing I had Jim with me.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's been our disconnect? Reading comprehension? Not what I said at ALL. I said that the tone in there has been getting WORSE, not that upset people are upset. Even when they were upset, it wasn't this bad. My comment was that in a time where STO is finally through with excuses and DOING things again, the tone of the discussion seems to be getting WORSE, and ANGRIER. SHould have eased up, what with all the activity, new content, 2 year anniversary, etc. Instead, seems like it's going downhill faster.

YOU tried to tie it all to subscription date, I'm just pointing out that it's not so happy in there for anyone, newbie or veteran. And so far, Cryptic appears to be whistling past it and not addressing much of anything. Only one that responds to anything is Branflakes, and it's a combo of just editing/closing posts, telling people he'll have a DEV look at the problem (no resolution later, though), or a 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain' routine. Baghdad Bob wasn't that obvious...

19. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The other thing is when the devs do respond to something, like the lock box for example, they do it on their twitter feed. And it usually isn't what their customers want to read either.

20. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I had some issues with the FE, but managed to get through it solo. It was a little lackluster compared to some of the hype I've seen about it. Hopefully the rest will be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.