Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. My optimism has taken a hit but there is still room for hope.

Hopefully the teasers/trailers will give me reason to feel good about it - like the portrayal of his attitude. If they manage to recapture his IQ in a way I loved about him before then that may help me overlook its apparent shortcomings in other areas.

2. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IO9 interviewed Edwards recently:

Full interview here: http://io9.com/godzilla-director-gareth-edwards-explains-the-symbolism-902734240

3. MOSUGOJI

MOSUGOJI Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only thing that I find somewhat odd on that head model is the strange jagged cheek ridge. At least it looks like they abandoned the snaggle toothed look from that other head model.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The designs I posted are supposed to be close to the final design, but in all honesty the final design has not been seen yet.

5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry I brought my overtly dark cloud into this.

I suppose they are walking a tight rope here trying to design a little bit of everyone's favorite appearance into him.

Looking back on the pics, that one of the frontal facial view with the lines through it, that is my favorite Godzilla face, for the most part. :)

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This is about as frightening he has looked in years. The hand puppet of the original was pure monster. My favorite Godzila was from the battle with King Kong.

I am also glad they didn't go with the T-Rex head. That might be good for a future opponent. Large head, smaller arms, etc.

If only Harryhausen and the folks at Toho had shaped evolution. But no--we get dinos with feathers. The Moon look as cragged as Chesley Bonestell thought...

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've never gotten the objections to dinosaurs having feathers. I don't think that makes dinosaurs less impressive -- I think it makes birds scarier. :evil:

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, heh! You've reminded me of a situation a friend experienced. In addition to being a co-worker in IT, he was for several years a voluntary fire chief. As such, he dealt with numerous "roadside incidents". Normally they were car wrecks, but one time, he got a call about a bird causing a traffic hazard...an emu!

He easily found the the animal where it was last seen, so he managed to "shoo" the bird off the road until animal control or the owners, regional emu ranchers, had the opportunity to arrive. The bird walked around the edge of a large creek as my friend kept an watchful eye.

It was then he noticed the tracks the emu left in the mud. "Argh! That thing is a dinosaur!" Sure enough the imprint closely resembled that of predatory therapods. It also dawned upon him that dinosaur or not, the claws on that creature could easily disembowel him if suitably threatened. He kept his hand close to his sidearm until the owners finally arrived to claim the bird.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's a good way to teach evolution too.

10. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Why not? In the American version of the original Godzilla he was said to be over 400ft tall, though indeed he was shown, as the Japanese version stated, at around 150ft. A TRUE 400-foot Godzilla would be the undisputed king of ALL monsters.

11. Gojira

Since I wrote that I have been warming up to the thought of Godzilla being that big.

12. Captain_Amasov

Some of the people who worked on the last series of films mentioned that one of the reasons for changing his height back from 100 to around 50 meters, was because they lost a lot of detail in the miniatures. Obviously that shouldn't be a concern when dealing with CGI this time round.

13. Gojira

I had heard that too. I just hope that they don't make Godzilla so massive that it makes it hard to suspend disbelief.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think they burned that bridge about 59 years ago...

15. Redfern

With atomic breath no less! ;)

I figured they keep making him bigger to keep pace with the ever increasing size of modern high-rise structures. In 1954 Tokyo, yeah, a 50 meter monster was a big deal! Today, the poor guy would almost be lost among the city skyline. Hmm, a daikaiju version of "Where's Waldo?"

And yes, I'm speaking in hyperbole. :p

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Captain_Amasov

There's been some toy descriptions making the rounds, mentioning the term "Muto" and "Mutos" in reference, to the other creatures that the humans and Godzilla encounters. One of them is said to be the "exclusive 8-legged Muto", and there's even mention of a "Winged Muto" too.

17. Redfern

Whenever I read or hear the word "muto", I think of the derisive term the Kaleds used to describe the "scarred relics of themselves" banished to the wastelands of the planet Skarro.

Sincerely,

Bill

18. Gojira

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Gojira