Revisiting Arrested Development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tomalak301, Apr 25, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, Alter Egos and the Justice episode might be the two best episodes of Arrested Development yet. There's those rare occasions where I laugh so hard at a show (Parks and Rec being one of those shows) but that Justice episode was downright hysterical. :guffaw:

The guest star I forgot to mention though did take me by surprise, Amy Poehler. I'm assuming this was where she and Arnett met and ended up tying the knot until recently, right?

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

They were actually already married when Arrested Development began.

3. tomalak301

Oh ok. I really do like Amy with the brighter hair instead of the brownish look. She looked really young in AD.

4. tomalak301

Finished Season 1 and started Season 2 last night. Great ending to season 1 and I'm looking forward to Season 2 because I've actually never seen this season. It got off to a great start though, even though it really does seem to me that the only sane person in this family is George Michael. This is a great cast and all, and the show is quite funny, but he's the only likeable, and logical, character. Because of that, I'm not sure if it will unseat Parks and Recreation as my favorite sitcom (Everytime I watch that show it's like being filled with Joy), but I can see why it's so universally loved. It really is a well written, hilarious show.

5. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

^It really says something when the most sane character on the show is secretly in love with his own cousin. :lol:

6. tomalak301

But the thing is he's aware of how awkward it is (As he was with the whole Take your daughter to work day, which was an incredible episode by the way). I don't think the other characters are aware of just how odd they are. Also, they keep throwing in hints that Maeby might not even be his cousin. With that being said, this is really one wacky show.

7. tighr

I read an article about the show which described George Michael as "the comedic straight man to Michael's straight man", implying that even though the show presents Michael as the sane one, he's actually also crazy and George Michael is the one who keeps Michael grounded.

George Michael is easily the best character in the show, which is incredible considering in 2004 when the show premiered no one knew who Michael Cera was, but EVERYONE knew Jason Bateman, David Cross, and Jeffery Tambor. He was the youngest actor on a show of heavyweights.

8. tomalak301

Two shows have asked this question now. First it was Farscape and now it's Arrested Development. Why does paper beat rock? Rock rips paper (And apparently sinks boats ;) ). It's a stupid rule.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That was they introduced lizards and Spock.

The stupid rule is still there, but Spock says it's logical and the lizard agrees, so it's all good.

10. tomalak301

Probably still the best scene BBT has ever done.

11. tighr

There was an episode of Arrested Development where Michael and GOB are fighting with a giant rock and giant pair of scissors. The Ron Howard voiceover follows it up with "The whole incident was covered by the paper."

12. tomalak301

That was the episode I watched. I didn't put two and two together until you quoted it, and that scene is even funnier than I thought. I'm glad I have Netflix now. Once I'm done with the series (including Season 4), I'll go back and rewatch it.

By the way, I absolutely love Ron Howard as the voice over. It makes the show that much more hysterical, especially in the second episode I saw tonight with Buster thinking he was in Mexico but only 6 minutes away from Lucille's house.

13. tighr

Michael Cera said in an interview that sometimes they will film a scene that he thinks is going in one direction, then when he sees it paired with the Ron Howard voiceover it's funny for a whole different reason. Very important to listen to the voiceovers, because sometimes they contain the punchlines to the jokes (as in the rock paper scissors bit above).

14. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I don't want no part of your tigh-ass country club, ya freak bitch!

15. tighr

Well yeah, you've gotta lock that down.

16. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

"You are forgetting I was a professional twice over. an analyst and a therapist. The worlds first analrapist!"

17. tomalak301

I know this thread isn't as participitory as I thought it would be, but can I ask a favor? No Season 4 Spoilers. I'm pretty much watching Season 2 for the first time and overall, I haven't seen the series in years other than this run through. Might even as a mod to make a note of it in the thread topic since I don't think I can.

18. tighr

I'm in, but I also plan on watching them all asap. I don't think the rest of the internet will play along with the "no spoilers" rule...

19. tomalak301

I'm not talking about the rest of the internet, just this thread.

20. tighr

Hahaha well I don't plan on confining my internet presence to this thread for the time being, and several of the websites I frequent are very anxious for these episodes! Shoot, I even expect Facebook to have a thing or two to say.