Can you raise only one eyebrow?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Deckerd, Oct 5, 2012.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

In my experience, "ambidextrous" means "equally adept with both hands" or at least signifies much less of the dominance of one hand over the other that you'd expect to find in a right- or left-handed person. While it's easy enough to see it also being used as a sly euphemism for "bisexual," I don't recall ever seeing "ambidextrous" used to mean deceitful, devious, dishonest, hypocritical or anything of that sort. I suspect that those more pejorative meanings haven't been in general English usage for three or four centuries.

Nonetheless, I did find sort of amusing the last sentence of this bit from the Wiki entry:
    Stuff like that is what can make digging into word histories so much fun. :D

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Did you mean synonym or antonym?

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I was asking for antonyms (since I'm the opposite of ambidextrous), and M'Sharak linked to a thesaurus that reported a second meaning for ambidextrous as "insincere" with some synonyms (deceitful, deceptive, disingenuous, double-dealing, hypocritical, left-handed) and antonyms (forthright, honest, truthful). Since I never encountered this second meaning and it's absent in Italian, I was asking if it was relatively common in English (apparently, it isn't).

4. Deckerd

No it's not common. The antonym is single handed or right or left handed.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

That's odd, isn't it? That ambidextrous has no simple word for the opposite.

I propose Unichiral for single-handedness. For right handedness, just plain simple "Dextral" (from dexter, Latin for right) and "Sinistral" for left handedness, from the latin Sinister for left.

See HERE.

6. Deckerd

Single, right and left handed ARE simple words. Ambidextrous is not.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fantastic little nugget of knowledge; that's going straight into the memory bank. :cool:

Thanks for looking it up.

8. Dr. Chandra

Dr. Chandra Captain Captain

Me, too, except I can only raise my right eybrow. Hmmm.

9. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I meant that right-handed is a compound word.

10. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

I can lift my right eyebrow, just not super high.

11. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I'm left-handed and can write with my right hand in an emergency, but that handwriting is even worse than my left-handed writing. However I use my right hand for many other tasks, such as dialling on a phone. I'm the youngest of four children and the only left-hander, so I wonder if I learned to use my right hand for many tasks because that's what I saw my brothers do. I only write with my left hand, and also use just my left hand for crocheting and when using knives, but for the rest I'm comfortable using either hand. As an aside, I'm unable to use left-handed scissors because I've only ever used right-handed ones. It never entered my mother's mind to buy me left-handed kiddie scissors, because when she was a child the priests and nuns literally smacked the left-handedness out of kids, so she didn't even know such scissors existed.

12. Deckerd

Here's a poser for you. Both Him Indoors and his best mate are right handed but when they deal cards, they deal with their left hand.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's odd. Is it some underhand form of cheating?

I wear my wristwatch on my right wrist not my left, despite being right handed, but that's down to when I went into hopsital as a teenager, they had to put a drip in my left arm so I switched it and it felt right so I've work a watch there ever since...

Plus I imagine it would confuse ninjas into thinking I'm left handed...

14. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Clearly demons.

If you hear a "huh?" coming from a seemingly empty patch of nothing, you might be on to something.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So that's what that is!

16. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I cannot lift only one eyebrow. It is very disappointing.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm right handed but when I strum guitar (I'm not very good at all) I play with my left with my right fingers on the neck and frets. It's just the way I've practiced and messed around with guitars since I was a child and one of the very few things I ever do left-handed.