Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am liking the new drop rate. Especially on my Klingon toon, who is finally getting some good gear. On my main Fed toon, I am starting to gear up my secondary ships with STF gear, not the MACOs or the Omega, but the uprated Borg gear (the reddish pink ones).

On the downside, I am getting way too much Cardie boxes. I stopped pressing anything but pass on them, but still manage to come away with three to four of them per STF. Only thing, I really care about them is the GQ power cells, but not too much where I would go buy a key. I don't care about the Galor because I am not going to spend that much money on it.

On the upside, I finally got into this winning The Cure streak, two out of the last three times were optional wins due to an awesome PUG who understood the difference between Normal and Elite tactics. They were also my fastest option complete times, both were done with four minutes left on the timer. My latest Cure fail was because the guy was a first-timer, but was too scared to tell anyone til the end, yet since The Cure fail rate must be high, no one cared.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty awesome drop rate. I spent basically all day Monday doing STF runs (ran several with Daizen), and didn't get squat. 1 or two Prototype Salvages, but no new parts. Up to like 95 EDCs, so almost ready to buy a full ground set (Mk XI). Figure buying the ground set is smarter, never going to run enough ground to get a set there. Then again, the Mk XI space set would probably be of more use, even though I've got a Mk XII shield. Annoying that you can't incorporate higher-Mk gear towards a set.

i.e. if you have two Mk XI parts and a Mk XII, should count as a set at the Mk XI level. Should be a full set at whatever the lowest-ranked piece of gear in the set is...

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Cure Elite Space is a pretty high fail rate. I've actually never been in a group that completes it...

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think to do that you will need a pre set group specifically one with a play who can just hang around the Kang and heal it (if this can be done) while everyone deals with the shipyard things.

5. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recall doing this once with the TrekkBBS fleet. Two of us stayed by the Kang, healed it (as Eng I could heal), and took on any incoming birds of prey and raptors, while the others went after the shipyards, one at a time.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Have tried that, and understand the plan just fine (2 guard Kang and heal when needed, other 3 wreck shipyards one at a time, leave cubes at 10% or so, then blow all 3 together). Getting that plan to WORK, and also keep some idiot from blowing one of the cubes, resulting in a Raptor mob, is another story...

7. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the tactic I have been following works similar, but blowing the cube as fast as possible and then rushing to help the Kang. I found that the option win rate is higher with that one rather the 10% percent one, especially when during the 10% people generally forget the time limit. I've had that happen many times, or some individual doesn't ask for help with the Kang.

I admit that I have had took out the Cube during a 10 percent run on Normal, but that was because no one informed me until after I did it, yet they still failed to defend the Kang. I personally like the Rushed Tactic, but I will conform to the 10 Percent if the PUG is running with that strategy.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Luckily when I got back on he was gone.

I was able to grind to 40.

I went with the Deep Space Science over the reconnaissance. That way if I ever decide to get the "Endgame" Voyager I can just pop in the extra science BOff.

Now I just need to start upgrading my badly outdated gear and re-tooling my BOffs.

They seem to something that comes with the F2P territory. I heard plenty of horror stories.

Mine was nothing so serious, obviously, just someone being an ass-hat.

Normally I wouldn't have even cared that much, I just really wanted to ding 40 before going to bed and he was sort of getting in the way.

9. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Completely agree (especially as that idiot last time was me). You really need a group who know what they're doing to complete this.

On an unrelated note: I turning in last nights Doff missions this morning yielded over 4,000 dilithium on my Orion toon and a total of over 9,000 across all five toons. All I did to get this was set them up and sleep. I'll get the DS9 bundle in no time at this rate. :)

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

About the stalker:

It was probably just a random troll trying to rattle you and sound like they did, at least a little.

Try this if it happens again. Click on their character, then in the chat box type "/killme". It should give you an option to submit a trouble ticket. Part of the trouble ticket process is to capture all the data around you. Don't know if Cryptic will actually do anything about it, but a least they will have a digital record. Put a footnote to Cryptic that if you don't hear from them in 72 hours that you'll upchannel the ticket to Perfect World. That behavior violates PWE's policies.

11. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

My new Nausicaan just got the first Nausicaan Destroyer and wow the leech console is amazing.

12. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

How did you get some much dilithium from Doff missions?

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On Klingon side, turning over confiscated contraband nets you 2k dilithium on a non-critical(!) success. Forced labor assignments net you 500 dilithium on non-crits.

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Critical successes on almost any assignment normally give a good dilithium payout.

15. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I ran my first Tour the Galaxy last night. I had no idea how many energy credits this event gives out. I completed all 7 areas and got 350,000 energy credits, plus exploration and trade xp. The event is doable twice in an hour if you start on time. It's a great way to make a lot of EC quickly to get those expensive items from the exchange. The best part is, all you need to do is fly around each sector.

16. Trek

Confiscated Contraband does that on the Fed side too (it the one doff mission I always look for first).

In this case I turned in a Confiscated Contraband (2000), A standard Forced Labour (500) and a critical Forced Labour (1500!) on my Orion. Two of my Fed toons also had completed Contraband missions, so it was 8000 from just 5 Doff assignments.

17. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a noob . . . what's STF?

18. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Special Task Force missions.

There are 3 Borg STFs split into 2 segments each. Space and Ground.
    They can be accessed through the PvE queues or set up as a private instance.
    They are 5 man group missions, that require extensive team work compared to all other missions in the game and are generally a lot harder to beat, some of them can be outright failed or at least produce head injuries (banging you head on your desk because of frustration if you end up with idiots playing. Idiots can be "veterans", too).

There is one old school STF you can access in the Gamma orionis sector called Terradome which can be accessed like any other mission but also requires a team to beat. It features the Undine.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Do you have to be in any specific sector for those?

20. Trek

Normally find Contraband missions in Sirus for Federation and Omega Leonis For Klingons. Forced Labour I've found in several sectors.

My total today has just hit 14500 and that is from Doff missions alone. I have another Contraband that should complete before the end of the day too (so I'm looking at topping 17000 just from doff missions today - Now I'm going to play some missions too :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.