Small things you'd've liked to've happened in TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dixie Flatline, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^What he said.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But Data spoke of the "intoxicating effect," and not the lingering results, my take in that no matter how much you consume, you can never get more than a light to medium weight buzz.

Robert Picard said with synthehol you "never lose control."

Would kind of takes all the fun out of drinking.

:)

3. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a second, I thought you meant Robert Picardo! :lol:

But yeah. To each their own, but I just can't picture the joy of, "Mmm! Tastes just like straight-up vodka! And no buzz, to boot! This is the drink for me!" :techman:

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple more episodes set during the night shift would have been nice. If that's how the bridge is supposed to look like at "night," it's hard to believe that roughly 175 or so of the E-D's adventures all happened during the day. It wouldn't make much of a difference production-wise anyway since the senior staff would jump into action no matter what time of the day an emergency comes up.

An episode where Lore and Tom Riker team up (though admittedly I look at Tom through DS9-lenses).

Tricky to pull off, but I wonder what "classical" music composed from the 21st-24th centuries would sound like. The characters kept listening to music made prior to the 1900s, but music doesn't stop being created. Music is still being composed today, after all, and our definition of classic constantly changes as time goes on. After all, in the real world, we have a genre called 21st-Century/Modern Classical. Now, on very rare occasions we'd hear what would be considered modern music, but it seemed more pop-y or jazzy with a completely different audience (Gambit, for example).

The main cast of Lower Decks becoming recurring characters, or at the very least, background characters.

Seeing a photon torpedo being launched from within the torpedo bay would've been neat, though perhaps not worth the budget for a TV show of that era.

The Enterprise-D flying in an atmosphere. Forget Into Darkness, TOS did it first.

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Many had scenes during nighttime...really. Besides, we don't always know the time of the day. For all we know, the ending of BOBW Part One happened at 2am.

Ogawa....

Why would it blow the budget?? All they have to do is set up a room where a plywood box shaped like a torpedo is pushed into a hole....

The D did it in Arsenal of Freedom and Interface. Maybe a couple of other times.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which episodes other than Data's Day outright showed the dimmed lights of night shift (and not because of some freak power outage)? A couple others maybe, but not *many,* and certainly teeny, tiny fraction of 7 seasons' worth of screentime. Only a couple episodes (or even perhaps only one) showed a dimmer bridge to reflect night shift, and even then the ship was operating on a routine basis, so no emergencies.

...who was a recurring character before the episode, and hardly the only primary cast member of that episode. Even discounting Sito for obvious reasons, there's still 3 more characters. Ogawa did not debut in this episode, but it was nice to see her fleshed out.

Also launching it, then flaring it up, and then propelling it at warp speed, a sequence that happens in a couple seconds, and thus not really justifying the cost, if it's an expensive set piece with SFX that is supposed be a very brief sequence because of the speed of a torpedo; after all, there is virtually no delay between Worf pushing the Fire button and the torpedo rocketing away. It's much easier and much more cost efficient to show the torpedo firing from outside the ship, which is what they did (and to date, almost every single instance across all the shows and movies). But even simple shipboard phaser blasts were expensive for the show, one of the reasons why the action only occasionally showed external phaser fire (compare to the number of times that the characters said they fire, or the ship rocking to imply that effect -- even the action heavy Yesterday's Enterprise had more instances of fire being told or implied than shown through FX).

No, I mean flying *within* the atmosphere. Arsenal of Freedom showed the Enterprise in re-entry and threatening to burn herself to death, but surely safer flights a la modern aircraft are possible. Compare that to the TOS Enterprise, with the ship trying to fly *up* but was still deep enough in the atmosphere that a 1960s jet was able to pursue.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Replace both of them with Selar :)

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, why are you argueing with a wishlist?

9. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

I'd have preferred to see the crew listening to something more than Classical or Jazz.

Wesley Crusher, especially during his chunky sweater phase in the first season, looks like he could be a fan of Mumford & Sons.

10. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I would've loved to at least seen more of Selar. I thought she was too interesting to be just a one off character, I wonder why she never returned? She did get a pretty juicy role in the New Frontier books, she's one of my favorite characters in that series.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^There were many TNG characters (and species) that should have been revisited.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Some things that we only saw with the E in the movies, that were established to be on the D...spacesuits (Why did they never use these to buy extra time when life support was failing?), warp core ejection (never worked when they could have used it), captain's yacht, escape pods....

Not to mention the inside of the main shuttlebay and cetaceans, which we never, ever saw.

13. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have liked it if during the Enterprise's one and only visit to DS9 (not counting the DS9 pilot) that they had actually done a proper crossover story instead of just using the station as a backdrop and giving us just some minor interaction between Data and Bashir.

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Why would you want to see the inside of cetaceans? :p

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Count me as another who would have loved to have seen the Captain's Yacht in use. A proper TNG/DS9 crossover would have been great too.

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Instead of Lower Decks as aired, I think it would have been cool to have the characters be the background actors we already see so often on the ship.

Guy Vardaman, Randy Pflug, Lorine Mendell, Tracey Lee Cocco, etc.

That probably couldn't happen though. Often, stand-ins with no dialogue aren't members of SAG, so I don't think they're allowed to speak on camera.

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I don't know the extras by name but I'm pretty sure I know which actors you mean. That really would have been a nice touch.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

IIRC They had a few of those.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't speak for TheSeeker, but a PROPER crossover would feature the leads, not just a short cameo meeting of Quark, Bashir and Data.

A two part episode with Picard and Sisko. And both whole crews working together. That's my definition of proper.

A reason why I was disappointed when Worf and Jadzia Dax got married. Where the hell was the Enterprise crew?

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I say establishing their in the same universe (even if it's just Quark doing it) is a proper crossover.