Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 31 2014, 04:25 AM   #91
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Crusher Out of Control in "The Enemy"

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Didn't the Romulan demand to not receive help from a Klingon? Shouldn't that have settled it for Crusher?
It did. She never brings it up again after that.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 04:26 AM   #92
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ She's not a Denobulan.

Besides, I think she was under orders to treat Patahk and deliver him back to Tomalak's ship. So she was required to disregard the patient's wishes.
Old March 31 2014, 04:29 AM   #93
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Tosk wrote: View Post
Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
Didn't the Romulan demand to not receive help from a Klingon? Shouldn't that have settled it for Crusher?
It did. She never brings it up again after that.
She doesn't to Worf on screen but something must have been said to Picard since he calls Worf into the ready room to discuss the situation. I can't see Picard doing that unless Crusher was spamming his inbox or something with: "Re: Worf. Talk to him!"
Old March 31 2014, 04:54 AM   #94
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Maybe, but we don't know when she talked to Picard.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 07:10 PM   #95
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

All this hand-wringing over Worf's and the Romulan's feelings is puzzling to me. They are not civilians who simply wandered into the situation. They are each officers within their respective chains of command. Both of their commanding officers have made the decision that the Romulan prisoner (which is what he clearly is, even though they never refer to him as such) must be kept alive. Crusher was merely doing everything in her power to get Worf to do his damn duty. If you ask me, Picard was a little TOO thoughtful of Worf's feelings.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 08:41 PM   #96
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I'm glad Worf refused. Worf is not human, and shouldn't be expected to act like one. The writers had the balls to stick to that.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 08:23 AM   #97
Anwar
Vice Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
All this hand-wringing over Worf's and the Romulan's feelings is puzzling to me. They are not civilians who simply wandered into the situation. They are each officers within their respective chains of command. Both of their commanding officers have made the decision that the Romulan prisoner (which is what he clearly is, even though they never refer to him as such) must be kept alive. Crusher was merely doing everything in her power to get Worf to do his damn duty. If you ask me, Picard was a little TOO thoughtful of Worf's feelings.
The Romulans seem to have a "Survival of the fittest" thing and don't look down upon their own willing to let themselves die for their missions or let themselves be captured. And the Feds know this.

The Romulan refused treatment and died from his injuries. I'm sure that if Tomalok was told this, and was allowed to get the body back and check that he indeed did die of his injuries because he refused treatment (backing up Crusher's story), he'd probably just leave it at that.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 03:55 PM   #98
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

^Did we watch the same episode? Because in the one I saw everyone seems to think that the Romulan's death is going to make the situation much worse and push them closer to war.
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 06:42 PM   #99
Anwar
Vice Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
^Did we watch the same episode? Because in the one I saw everyone seems to think that the Romulan's death is going to make the situation much worse and push them closer to war.
The Romulan Centurion on the planet had a "Well, if you die from injury then that's that." mindset.

The Romulan soldier refused treatment, and was willing to die from his injuries. The Traitor Admiral in "The Defector" committed suicide as was their tradition, so the Romulans don't have a problem with a guy letting himself die.

If the Romulans were told this, and were allowed to have the body back to confirm it, then there wouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, the Rommies were in trouble here for being so close to the Fed side of the Neutral Zone in the first place.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2014, 11:35 PM   #100
Mojochi
Commodore

^Sure, Romulans view their own lives as expendable to the cause, but that's a far cry from one of their people dying in the custody of the Federation

Romulans, especially ones in unfavorable positions, are always looking for tactics to gain the advantage, militaristic or political. A Romulan dying on board the Enterprise under the care of her crew, would be such an advantage, for shifting the blame from themselves onto Picard. I have no doubt that Geordi's efforts to save himself & the Romulan he was with was the only thing that prevented open combat. He is but the 1st to fall is the last words from Tomalak. It didn't sound as though he'd be interested in entertaining the notion that Patahk preferred death to aid

Now, maybe once the other survivor was found, some of the tension was eased enough that they could ease it more by pointing out that Patahk refused treatment, but that point alone would be worth nothing if he were a sole survivor in this situation. I'll say it again. A living officer returned is more valuable than a dead officer & some explanation of the events surrounding his death could ever be. I don't care who you are
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2014, 12:14 AM   #101
2takesfrakes
Commodore

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
If Trek truly explored the ramifications of the ideas presented to their logical conclusion - it would no longer be Trek.
How true that is! Even with the luxury of a two parter, or an entire series arc, these ideas STILL aren't explored. It's just so much padding, verbosity and subplots that have nothing to do really with any big ideas being followed through, unless it's a war and all that really ends up doing is killing off a couple regular guest stars and life goes on. I truly hope that the next television series has edge and takes risks in a big way. The reset button really should be taken off the table, though, in order to do that ...