Hawaii 5-0 Season 3 discussion/spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Episode 21. Three more to go...

2. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Just watched tonight's episode... man was that a *huge* downer!! And, um, Steve, I don't think taking away Danny's badge while he beats a guy up counts as him not being a cop while he does it. That's just... eh, that didn't ring true at all. Sad subject, and the end with the journal made me cry. I did like how personally Danny took the case given his experience with Grace, and that Steve gave him some leeway... though I think it might have been too much. Not that this show could ever be accused of realism :p but it seems lie there would be some consequences and that Danny would lose his badge longer than the 20 minutes it took him to beat the guy into giving him the information they needed. What did you guys think?

3. cardinal biggles

Yeah, the subject was a downer, but I actually liked the ending, though it did get me choked up too. The whole business with Danny going off on the suspects... totally unrealistic, but it's at the point now where this sort of thing is almost to be expected on cop shows, regardless of how far from reality it may be.

Also, excellent guest cast last night! Henry Rollins and Mare Winningham were great but underused, and I immediately knew Don Swayze's character was going to be wrong for something the moment they pulled him out of the van. (I remember him as a heavy in a Season 2 episode of NYPD Blue.)

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

The creepy thing is that the storyline had a lot of similarities to what's going on in Cleveland with those three missing women. A story that broke the day this episode aired.

5. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Just got around to watching this week's episode.

In light of current events, the subject matter is a huge eerie coincidence.

On a unrelated note, I started watching the season 1 dvd set of the original Hawaii Five-O from the late 1960's. Very different show from today's updated Hawaii Five-0 version. The original season 1 is almost like watching a Sean Connery era James Bond movie.

6. cardinal biggles

Oh, yeah, very different. Zero character development, and after about the sixth season the plots start to get repetitive. It was very much Jack Lord's show, with everyone (including Danny) playing third fiddle to McGarrett. But it featured some damned gorgeous scenery at a time when Hawaii was still a fairly new state. And nothing beats McGarrett's Mercury Park Lane Brougham.

It cracked me up how during the first season of (new) Five-0, Steve was constantly ribbing Danny for wearing a tie; rewind to 40 years prior and they're all out chasing crooks in suits and ties.

7. jayceee

Wonder how and why it lasted for 12 seasons.

8. cardinal biggles

It basically boils down to TV being a very different thing back then. There wasn't as much of an expectation of consistent forward character progression, episodes were designed to be standalone for easier syndication. Yeah, there was the occasional recurring villain — primarily Keigh Deigh as Wo Fat, who usually turned up in two-parters or season finales — but nothing approaching the long-running background plot arcs they've had going on the new show (i.e., the Shelburne arc in Season 2). For instance, in one episode, and I can't remember which season it's in, the woman Danny is engaged to is killed. We've never seen her before, and she's never referred to again. That sort of thing wouldn't fly with today's audience.

As for why it lasted so long? The same reason Law & Order ran for 20 seasons and CSI and NCIS have been on 10+: people liked it and they kept watching.

9. jayceee

Previously I only really watched Hawaii Five-O in reruns when I was a kid.

At the time I was watching stuff like Magnum PI, and came across reruns of Hawaii Five-O while I was channel surfing. Not knowing any better, I thought they were earlier episodes of Magnum. :lol:

10. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I n the early years its was up against stuff like the Dragnet reboot and the location was a big draw. For most of its run you had the "exotic" cop like Kojak and his ethnic squad of another location like The Streets of San Francisco. But mostly it was fare like The FBI with the same lack of character development or Baretta with a fully formed character from the get go. And then came the buddy cop teams like Starsky and Hutch as the Five-O cast/cops aged out

11. jayceee

Did shows like Charlie's Angels, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, Rockford Files, etc ... compete directly with Hawaii Five-O ? (I use to watch these shows when I was a kid).

12. cardinal biggles

I think in an early episode of Magnum, they make reference to McGarrett, and I remember reading that the show's producers tried to prevail upon Jack Lord to make a guest appearance, but he went into retirement after Five-O ended in 1980 and stayed there for the rest of his life.

13. Star Wolf

I don't remember the time slots I am thinking more of the cop show genre versus comedies and other types of dramas. The PI shows were like a middle ground between cop show and family drama IMO.

It was a first season episode and Magnum while in TC's helicopter makes a radio call and something about his authority came up so Magnum called himself McGarrett of 5-0. I always thought he was making a comedic reference the other guy would know he was referencing a TV show. Others think he was actually impersonating a police officer putting in H5-O Magnum's fictional universe. Sort of like Magnum started off as a TV show on Simon & Simon until they made a few Magnum/Simon's crossover

14. cardinal biggles

And of course the Magnum/Murder, She Wrote crossover. Can't forget that one.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

5-O was up against the Rockford Files in the 75-76 season.

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Also inspired by the true life story of Maile Gilbert who was abducted, raped and murdered in 1985 and it was her father who lead the motorcycle group and was instrumental in the creation on Amber alerts.

17. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The new show has come awfully close to this with a lack of repercussions for Chin Ho's wife getting killed.

18. cardinal biggles

Yeah, they have kind of dropped the ball on that, but then they also go several episodes at a time with nary a mention of Kono's boyfriend, the Japanese Michael Corleone. ;)

19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

But it was referenced in the recent ep with the morning tv show host.

though perhaps the repercussions or lack there should more relate to Chin's actions with his wife's killer or is this what you're referring to?

20. Star Wolf

And before with the prison nurse telling her he is not ready to move on yet. How much of an reaction do we need? A character drowning in the bottle?