Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember kids, this is why before you update you back that sh*t up!

Hmmm, and they must have updated Bens video link. Looks epic to me.

Fortunately 7.1 was out by the time I rolled out of bed and downloaded the update. Apart from some scrambling to find a texture for the pistons, there've been no problems here. Loving the sheers. I can finally patch all those leaf gaps around my treehouse. Getting that 4th wool block is nice as well.

Good thing I downloaded a new game to pass the time til we're back online.

2. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I built a massive rail system. Then I downloaded the newish mapping software, and see that my rail line could be cut in half but going the OTHER way around the mountain (let alone going though it. and considering how much iron and gold and reddust I used in a selfpowered rail system that works both ways and takes 2+ mins to travel. Might make some changes in time.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Hey, the server's still online, you just can't use it if you're on 1.7. ;)

I'll just wait until Bukkit is upgraded, like usual.

4. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Ah, shears are epic. No more planting trees in midair to eventually form a massive uber-tree to make a tree house, and now I can plant a shrubbery!

5. Cutter John

Next, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest wiiiiiith.....A HERRING!

6. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

Apparently overnight there was a 1.7.2 update. Naturally when I installed it the game crashed. Had to delete my bin folder and reinstall my texture pack and all that typical rah rah.

Haven't really noticed anything different, it might be a touch faster but that could just be all placebo.

7. Robert Maxwell

Have you not tried pistons or shears?

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because 1.7 just came out and people are already tired of it, here's two new pics from 1.8. :lol:

NPC village with giant mushrooms
    Ruins with new stone brick blocks

Notch also said that there will be a new biome code, and that the giant mushrooms are for a new type of biome and the wont appear randomly in the world. I wonder if this means that we'll see the same sort of chunk errors that came about with the halloween update? Here's hoping that biomes are bigger this time.

9. Robert Maxwell

Looks good so far. I'm sure the actual release will be an unmitigated clusterfuck. :p

I might prune the server world once we get to 1.8, trim out the areas that were explored but nothing was built, so we can generate some new stuff.

10. XwarlokX

XwarlokX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just started my world over again, since I screwed it up last time and didn't feel like fixing it. I haven't had the chance yet to try out the pistons, but I'm really wanting to see what can be done with them.

Really want to try that disappearing door that was shown in the video, and a couple other neat little things. :drool: Really wish I could find a decent server to play on without any griefing.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, that looks awesome, Ben! Unless I'm wrong, those look like new blocks in the second picture. On the first picture though, what the heck is that red tree?? Or is that the giant mushroom?

The one worry I have with these NPC villages is that the world will be overrun with them. They better be sparse, otherwise they won't be as special to encounter.

12. Robert Maxwell

I think they should be about as rare as dungeons.

13. TheGodBen

It's a Minecraft tradition now! It would be sad if Notch chose to break it by releasing a perfect 1.8 patch.

Seriously, I usually update on the first day (after waiting for a bugfix update), but I might wait a few days with 1.8. As excited as I am for it, they're adding so many game-changing things that something major is bound to go wrong and I don't want to start my game to find hostile pigmen destroying my town.

There seems to be at least 3 new blocks (grey brick, and the mossy/broken variants) and iron bar doors. These were confirmed as new blocks and not replacement textures for old blocks.

I'm pretty sure that's a giant red mushroom to go along with the giant brown mushroom. Honestly, I'm a bit wary of the idea of giant mushroom forests, but I'll wait to see what Notch has planned for them before calling them stupid.

14. Cutter John

Damn Robert, you're just Mr Sunshine lately aren't you?

15. Robert Maxwell

Fool me once, shame... shame on me. Fool me twice, you... you can't get fooled again!

16. TheGodBen

Here's my tribute to Assassin's Creed:

[​IMG]

Hmm, some sort of temple.

[​IMG]

Oh look, a golden alter.

[​IMG]

Curious, it appears to be a button. I wonder what will happen if I push it...

[​IMG]

My lord, a secret passageway?! The Templars must be up to something!!

You do not want to see the redstone circuitry for this! :lol: I designed the damn thing and I barely understand how it works. The tricky part was designing it so that the top stair segment was pushed up after the floor was pulled away, but it also needed to be pulled down before the floor was pushed back in. I don't understand how I got that to work, all I know is that I managed it somehow and I'm praying to Notch that it keeps on working.

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Cutter John

Nice one Ben.

19. TheGodBen

I think I used the same amount of redstone as that giant 1.7 wall in order to do less. :lol:

20. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Which means I'm probably going to spawn a new world and my spawn point will be right next to one. I remember one time I spawned and there was a box canyon, and lava and water were flooding in from most of the walls and there was a half-exposed dungeon in the wall...