Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Spocktapus

Spocktapus Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is unfortunate, but not too surprising. Matt Smith was by far my favorite doctor since the show returned. Hopefully the next doctor will be significantly different.

I also like the Tilda Swinton idea. As luck would have it, I just saw her in Orlando the other day.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could live with Tilda Swinton... But, I suspect she'd be a great one-off film/songle season Doctora, not a long runner. And I want a 4 season Doctor, just once post 1980!

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

For me, at least, I always loved what Tennant brought to the role, but he was held back by terrible scripts and direction that had him running around like a grinning idiot (as the Fifth called him) with all the subtlety of a donkey with a drum set. When he was allowed to settle down, he nailed it. But he basically had two modes: "HAVE YOU MET THE FRENCH? :D" or "I am deadly serious. :mad:" So it's not that I dislike Tennant, I just wish he had had better scripts from which to work.

Eccleston, though ... fuck, I would give a kidney to have had more time with him. Actually, I would probably give a kidney to see how Tennant would have handled the arc of Series 5, though Matt Smith was amazing and I will miss his presence terribly.

4. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I wonder how they're going to find him an extra 12 lives, I suspect something to do with going back into his own timestream he'll somehow come out before the 1st doctor and get all his lives back.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree with this. When I go back and rewatch Tennant episodes, I still really enjoy his performance, but the feel of the episodes themselves is just so much more over-the-top and cartoonish.

One of my favorite Tennant moments is from "The End of Time" when he talks to Wilf about the bad things he's done and how regeneration feels like dying. He basically breaks down. It was very well done.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

River gave him all her regenerations in Let's Kill Hitler. We have no idea how many he has left. Let's Kill Hitler was a terrible episode, but that was a very smart move by Moffat, as it allowed future producers to avoid that issue unless they wanted to directly deal with it. A very nice move, unlike Davies refusing to un-fuck the Daleks before he left, so Moffat / Gatiss had to blow Victory of the Daleks in order to re-establish that they were Out There, Doing Bad Things.

Right. Another example is in The Sound of Drums, when the Doctor talks about Gallifrey, and how Time Lord children eventually have to look into the Time Vortex, and some go mad, some run, etc. And then Jack asks him what he did, and the Doctor's all, "Pfft, I said fuck that noise." When Tennant was allowed to be contemplative instead of an exaggerated caricature, he killed it. Most of the time, though, the scripts / direction just didn't allow for it.

7. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh god yeah. I tried to forget about that crap.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tennant's acting in The Idiot's Lantern belonged in the circus.

9. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw that more as River giving up her remaining regenerative energy (and thus any future regenerations) to resuscitate the Doctor, not giving him actual regenerations.

As for Smith leaving at the end of the year, it's a bummer. Weird thing is it doesn't seem as though he's been around for almost 4 years already. He still seems like the new guy. I was like, What? Regenerating already?? Though his performances as the Doctor could be way too manic at times, overall I will miss him.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I has a sad.

11. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

Definitely doesn't feel like 4 years. At least he lasted longer than Chris and Colin. I really liked Matt's Doctor, second only to Tom Baker in my opinion.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Colin Morgan (Merlin) would be a good replacement if they wanted to stick with youth.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer Bradley James to Morgan.

14. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've seen on Tumblr that some people would like Idris Elba, but I do wonder if they will go with someone who is not very well know again?
    It helps keep the wage bill down.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Glad to hear that, I-ve always thought the same tbh

16. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, darn, that is sad news. I'll miss him. I wasn't expecting that he'd stay much longer but I was hoping for another season. Thanks to all the interruptions and delays, it doesn't feel like 3 seasons!

Mr Awe

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think Idris Elba is too expensive? - he's not A-level but he must be pulling down far more cash for the odd role in things like Palfic Rim, Promethus, Thor etc - I know he's doing a little more Luther but I think the contracts on that were signed a while ago. Moreover, since he is already regularly getting work over in the states is he going to want to tie himself down like that?

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

After seeing her in Rev. and the Reggie Perrin remake, how about Lucy Liemann?

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'd love Elba but Joe is right; he'd be difficult to get.

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore